PDA

View Full Version : Varnished Butts?

05-29-2002, 02:50 PM
Who was the first cue maker to varnish over an Irish linen handle on a cue? And... Why?

I have owned two cues in the past fifteen or so years that were varnished over. I still have one of them which has been redone with Irish linen. My question though is why varnish over a perfectly good Irish Linen handle on a cue?
It seems ludicrous to me...

And what about the cost? A good Sneaky Pete will play as good as a cue with its linen handle covered with varnish or polyeurathene or whatever and cost considerably less...

I know that there are cue makers out there who do this all the time but personnally, I just think its dumb...

I would appreciate it if someone could answer this one logically...

RG Chapiesky in SC

05-29-2002, 04:42 PM
i too think the idea is foolish. i happen to like Meuccis quite a bit but never understood why they do that. in the case of these cues i would much rather see the points, the wood, or additional neat inlay work than simply irish linen. i'm curious if there is a reason for doing this that escapes me..anyone know why?
best regards,
^v^

Tom_In_Cincy
05-29-2002, 04:56 PM
I was led to believe that it was to protect the self life of the cue (a selling point to room owners, and wholesale dealers)

I sold Meuccis back in the early 80s.. and this is what I was told.. I had a Road Agent model made in 86 that didn't have the finish over the wrap.. still have it..

05-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Having played with a varnished-butt Meucci for years now, I find it really difficult to use a linen-wrapped cue. For some shots when you're holding the cue a little further back than normal (perhaps when you're reaching further than normal, you're grip is partly on the linen, partly on the butt. It changes the whole feel of the cue, and I find that it makes it more difficult to get the whole stroke right. With the varnished Meucci, the cue feels the same. It just feels right. But, then, I've never liked the feel of wrapped cues.

Why put on a linen wrap and varnish over it? Cos it looks good. I wouldn't mind having a cue with ivory points and inlays over the whole length of the butt, but then I couldn't afford the Ferrari I can't afford.

05-29-2002, 06:14 PM
( Lorri giggles)

05-29-2002, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Having played with a varnished-butt Meucci for years now, I find it really difficult to use a linen-wrapped cue. For some shots when you're holding the cue a little further back than normal (perhaps when you're reaching further than normal, you're grip is partly on the linen, partly on the butt. It changes the whole feel of the cue, and I find that it makes it more difficult to get the whole stroke right. With the varnished Meucci, the cue feels the same. It just feels right. But, then, I've never liked the feel of wrapped cues.

Why put on a linen wrap and varnish over it? Cos it looks good. I wouldn't mind having a cue with ivory points and inlays over the whole length of the butt, but then I couldn't afford the Ferrari I can't afford.

<hr></blockquote>

Well said. BTW, Efren Reyes doesn't like wrap on his cue either. Hmmmmm.... can I call him dumb?

Rod
05-30-2002, 01:58 AM
Ron, It's my guess that they, the mfg, and the customer wants a cue that looks real or custom. The customers preference is to play with a cue that has a smooth finish, but looks like, and it does, have a linen wrap. My guess it's only for appearance. The wrap also adds more color to the handle. Granted it costs more, but the customer is willing to pay the difference. Fact is many people prefer to hold on to the sprayed finish rather than the feel of linen or leather. I'm not in that equation as I prefer a hard pressed linen wrap.

05-30-2002, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> ( Lorri giggles)

I can only explain the situation to you. I cannot comprehend the situation for you.
<hr></blockquote>

I dunno I'm starting to think that you are bitch for posting the same reply over and over again, BITCH!!!

SPetty
05-30-2002, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I dunno I'm starting to think that you are [really uncalled for mean word censored] for posting the same reply over and over again, [really uncalled for mean word censored]!!! <hr></blockquote>

Let me try to explain this so that you can comprehend /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

The comment you are having trouble with (I can only explain the situation to you. I cannot comprehend the situation for you.) is a "tag line". If you were to actually register with the CCB, you, too, could have the opportunity to add a "tag line" that comes along for the ride on each and every one of your posts.

You will notice that many registered posters have a "tag line". You can even see it in this thread:

Rod has:
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif be smooth, better control, more power, less effort. Rod

redwinebluebird has:
billiards sometimes forces my mind into a mechanism i admire.

Tom_In_Cincy has his name with a lovely red, white and blue banner.

Not in this thread; the two I personally find more annoying than you find Lorri's are cheesemouse's little mouse that runs across the bottom, and Stickman's "Introducing Stickman" banner graphic. (They are very cute, it's just that I find animated graphics extremely annoying - nothing personal at all!) But I certainly don't feel the need to call them bad names for using the "tag line" of their choice.

Vagabond has one about remembering to be nice to another human.

Jim S's looks like this:
Regards, JimS~~~TAKE DEAD AIM! (at ALL your goals!)

MaineEAck uses his "tag line" to sell his sneaky pete cues, while Patrick uses his to send you to his web site.

Dr. D's is currently that amusing "Lead, Follow or Get Out Of My Way!!!"

So, in closing: Don't be such a jerk and for heaven's sake, get over it!

Hope that explains it for you!

05-30-2002, 11:32 AM
I understand but she always reply with the same post. "(giggle)"??? and then the tag line? same [censored] same reply.

bigalerickson
05-30-2002, 11:33 AM
-Big Al Laughs at blissful arrogant bliss of the unregistered.

I too can only explain the situation to you. I cannot comprehed the situation for you.

05-30-2002, 12:31 PM
HEY!!! That's MISS BITCH to you buddy!!

cheesemouse
05-30-2002, 05:34 PM
SPetty,
I'll loan you a tag line if you want one. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
05-30-2002, 05:56 PM
That's exactly it, at least for me. Many cue designs wouldn't look right with no wrap, particularly the "universal" ones that use a 3-section butt over a core. And I'm one of those guys with dry hands that wants to use a loose grip and not have the cue go flying. Also, I have long arms and tend to grip near the junction of the wrap and the butt sleeve, and prefer to have the surface feel the same ahead and behind.

Having an oversprayed wrap for appearance is much cheaper than doing an entire cue in beauty wood and inlays. I know this for a fact because I'm currently trying to get a custom cue, and talking to makers about no-wrap designs that might look good. Leaving off the wrap is NOT an economy option /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Ron, It's my guess that they, the mfg, and the customer wants a cue that looks real or custom. The customers preference is to play with a cue that has a smooth finish, but looks like, and it does, have a linen wrap. My guess it's only for appearance. The wrap also adds more color to the handle. Granted it costs more, but the customer is willing to pay the difference. Fact is many people prefer to hold on to the sprayed finish rather than the feel of linen or leather. I'm not in that equation as I prefer a hard pressed linen wrap.
<hr></blockquote>

Rod
05-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Spidey, I've had my but waxed, but then that's another story! lol Yes I'm sure expensive woods would be far more expensive than a wrap. Did you get in touch with that guy out here?

SpiderMan
05-31-2002, 04:58 AM
Apparently David was all over the place on Friday and Saturday, but I never managed to run into him. The closest I came was missing him at the Tiger Products booth by about 10 minutes, the guy there said he had just headed off to eat dinner. Same story at Mike Massey's booth, he was there but didn't hang around. Tried to call him at the hotel but they didn't have anyone by that name at either the Riviera or Circus-Circus. Guess I'll have to catch one of those $150 NetSAAver fares out to Phoenix some weekend. Want to play some pool?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Spidey, I've had my but waxed, but then that's another story! lol Yes I'm sure expensive woods would be far more expensive than a wrap. Did you get in touch with that guy out here? <hr></blockquote>

05-31-2002, 10:32 PM
From my viewpoint as a cuemaker, there are two advantages to finishing over the wrap. 1-You can use a white linen or another really lite color and it will stay clean 2-If you wrap the cue and then finish it you don't have to cut the wrap groove perfect--meaning you don't have to worry about getting the wrap flush with the finished surface of the cue.
Personally, I currently play with a cue without a wrap--but I can play with either. I have only finished over two wraps--and they were both refinish jobs. It makes it easier for me as a cuemaker to not wrap a cue--that's just one less thing to do. I don't charge extra for unwrapped cues.

06-01-2002, 09:41 PM
i think i was severely misunderstood. i in no way implied expensive, fancy inlay as needed to replace wrap. i just feel wrap that's covered with varnish is silly. i do happen to like the feel of an irish linen cue, but for day to day play prefer a smooth finish..lol i'm playing happily with a covered wrapped Meucci now. how my post could be construed...implying Ferrari prices, fanciness, i don't know. the responsible quote was: "in the case of these cues. i would much rather see the points, the wood, or additional neat inlay work than simply irish linen." i see no ivory! custom! or anything suggesting even moderate expense. also, to all readers PLEASE! don't let in-fighting or arguing dominate a lead post with a simple question. the person that posted the start thread had to sift through entirely too many threads with no useful information.
best regards,
^v^
sometimes my mind forces me to curl so tightly into a rock.
a rock others can crawl out from under.