PDA

View Full Version : Earl get beat with a jump cue when he was a kid?

christopheradams
02-08-2005, 06:05 AM
What is Earls main argument against the jump cue? I know he is not against jumping, just the use of a jump cue. Maybe he could comment on this. I noticed in the U.s. open he made a great jump with his break cue, isn't this considered a jump cue since its another stick you used to jump that was not his regular playing cue. O.k. is not a short kiddie cue, but it probably has a harder and fatter diameter tip.

Sid_Vicious
02-08-2005, 06:49 AM
My guess is that Earl LEARNED and developed the finesse and talent of long cue jumps and he doesn't appreciate the shortened learning curve of newbies to jumping by the introduction of the JCs today. I could be wrong. What Earl should do is foster not leaving the playing surface at all if he's got a beef with air balls, not the jumpers as such(imo)...sid

JohnnyP
02-08-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't know Earl, but I think he's prolly a purist who thinks jumping is fine, as long as you can do it with a real cue.

buddha162
02-09-2005, 04:23 AM
Sorry to burst any bubbles but...

Earl used a jump cue in a tournament in Taiwan. I saw it on tape and both the audience and the commentators wouldn't shutup about it.

Apparently, the commentators said that Earl will use a jump cue only if HE hooks himself on a shot, and not when an opponent plays a good safety on him. I suppose that preserves his principles somewhat...

-Roger (respect the Pearl's objection to the jumper, have no problem with him changing his mind)

aco76
02-09-2005, 04:38 AM
But what if opponent played a slop safety, and the object would stop near the pocket? The obstructing ball is only 2 balls width away from the cueball. Would he really play a much tougher kick shot? I know some guys can jump well without jump or jump/break cues, but if the balls are really close...I don't know...

Nah, it's easy for them pro's to say "I don't need jump cues" when they play position so well that they almost never need it.

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2005, 05:08 AM
If I was his sponsor, I'd want the best option played, hence the jumper. It is between Earl and himself, but that's my opinion....sid~~~sure that Earl will read this and follow Sid's advice, YEA RIGHT!

onepocketchump
02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Earl also has a Cuetec that is cut to about 56" that he uses as his jump cue. Cutting 2" off will make any cue jump better. Earl is a whiny hypocrite when it comes to jump cues. The cue doesn't do the work - the player does.

John

Popcorn
02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Back when Earl was starting to play tournaments he was one of the few who could even jump with a full length and weight cue. With the introduction of the jump cue now others could do what he was doing and even better. He lost what I guess was a pretty good advantage and he just resented it and still does. He is however foolish if he doesn't use a jump cue when others are doing it. If he had a brain in his head he would just say to himself, "Not only will I use a jump cue but I will do it better then anyone". As great as he plays he is in my opinion kind of a loser. I have seen him quit in the middle of a match because he got too far behind. Other times I have seen him just miss a ball and rake in the balls and concede the game. These are not the trait of a cold blooded competitor. He is lucky he has so much natural talent or he would never win anything. I've seen him gamble, I am not so sure he even has that much heart. I would not want to be betting on him in what would be a dead even game with a real killer.

FauxKing
03-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Sorry, mostly because I have no idea how I stumbled upon this thread, but reading it sort of brought something to mind despite the age of the last post here ...

I used to really respect Earl until a recent showing of a "Skins" competition from last year where Earl clearly fouled by hitting a ball with his cue stick during a shot. The judge was standing directly behind Earl and did not witness said foul. Earl's opponent and the other 2 gentlemen seated awaiting their turn, though, did see it ... as did the rest of the world watching it after the fact.

Earls' response (for all to hear): "The judge didn't see it..." Followed by a shrug of the shoulders and what almost looked like a smirk when he looked at the crappy position left to his opponent (who *should* have had ball in hand)

He was a straight up BITCH about it and I, thusly, lost my respect for the man. He's a putz and I now enjoy seeing him lose any opportunity I get. Of course, I don't see myself as being one of those players putting him in his place any time in the near future.

I know that this gets close to touching on one of the grayer areas of this fine sport, but in a competition of that sort, especially being televised ... hey, it was really in poor taste. I do my own amount of trash talking and attempting to mess with an opponent (legally) during a match, but that was just a completely low class act on his part.

Whenever his name is annouced at the beginning of a tournament I'll always being thinking, "Earl the pearl? Sheesh ... more like, 'El Puto Grande!'"

PQQLK9
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Thread about Earl's Foul (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=172215&page=&vi ew=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1)

catscradle
03-08-2005, 05:36 AM
I can speculate based upon observing Earl and listening to comments by people like Bill Incardona on Accu-stats tapes. IMO, Earl just objects to people using a piece of equipment to do what his talent allows him to do without the piece of equipment. Personally, I use a jump cue because others do and I can't jump for s*** with my playing cue, but I agree with Earl and wish they could be banned though I know that is not possible anymore than prohibition was. I think talent should have an advantage that isn't negated by technology.
I also oppose non-wooden bats for baseball and think wars should be fought with fists and clubs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
03-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Good Post!

Deeman