PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Trust And Use Internet Drugstores?

Sid_Vicious
02-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Has anyone found or heard that any of these junk mail ads for cheaper meds reputable? I know, it's a "can of worms" question since we get spammers possibly reading this site. The question came up in a circle of friends the other day so I figured I'd ask here. PM me if you wish. Thanks...sid

DavidMorris
02-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Almost all of the drug spam are from overseas pharmacies and are highly suspect, sometimes dangerous. Some deliver, but many don't, and unless you are knowledgeable of the drug(s) in question you may not be getting what you expect to get if you get anything at all. I've heard horror stories of wrong dosages, wrong medication entirely, and sugar pills/placebos/OTC substitutes.

It's also illegal to purchase or import prescription meds without a prescription, and virtually none of these places require a prescription.

So IMHO they are something to be avoided like the plague. If I were in desperate need and couldn't afford legitimate meds for whatever reason, I might consider one only after getting some referrals by others who've had success with it. But I still couldn't trust it long-term -- I think you'd be better off hitting your doctor up for free samples.

There ARE legitimate mail-order pharmacies that will contact your doctor for prescription verification and such, but I rarely if ever see spam from them. We use Express-Scripts' online pharmacy for my wife's meds because I have prescription benefits through them and their online pharmacy is cheaper for long-term/maintenance prescriptions (we get 3 months meds for the price of 2 months).

SpiderMan
02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I've bought pet (fish) meds over the internet, no prescription, with satisfactory results. Everything I received appeared to be "people pills" repackaged in bottles labeled for fish use, ie they matched what I had in the medical dictionary right down to the company logo. Date codes were current.

It's handy to have a little erythromycin (or penicillin/amoxicillin if you can take it) around in case you get a sore throat on vacation and don't want to visit a doc-in-the-box away from home. Also handy if your dog gets cut or injured, as a prophylactic treatment for infection.

SpiderMan

SnakebyteXX
02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also handy if your dog gets cut or injured, as a prophylactic treatment... <hr /></blockquote>

If you'd get the dog neutered he wouldn't have to use prophylactics...

All kidding aside, how about a link to the site?

Snake

hondo
02-08-2005, 12:20 PM
I order from Medco but they are a reputable firm.

SpiderMan
02-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I've used several. Try "valleyvet.com", "bullwrinkle.com", or "vetamerica.com".

Note - usually the fish antibiotics are available without prescription, if it's for other pets you'll need the 'script for the same drug. Go to the fish section and see if they have what you need.

They give the stuff stupid names like "fish-mox" (amoxicillin), "fish-pen" (penicillin), "fish-cyline" (tetracycline), you get the picture. Hell, they've probably even got a tube of "preparation-fish" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan