PDA

View Full Version : jump cue?

poolturtle
02-08-2005, 10:01 AM
I have what's probably a stupid question. You'll have to forgive my ignorance about pool equipment. I own a 5 piece brunswick cue. The butt has 3 definite pieces and then the butt of it comes off too. If I take out the middle section, it shortens up like a jump cue. Is this considered a jump cue or not?

Sid_Vicious
02-08-2005, 10:09 AM
The weight won't be the same as a JC, but as far as the break/jump cues go, it might fit the general function. It won't jump worth a crap is my guess due to the weight thing. Also, you might have to check the length, JCs have a legal limit.

Btw, the tip on the play cue will add to the bad jumping as well. JCs need a super hard tip. I'd buy a dedicated jumper if it was me, but I'd try the idea anyway just for curiosity...sid

poolturtle
02-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I'm planning on buying one as soon as I can. I've retipped the cue with a medium hard tip. It's 21oz full length, but I don't know how much it would drop after the section is out.

Sid_Vicious
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Good luck, and let me know anyway how the shortened version works. If it's dismal, don't let it bother you. Do you jump well with real jumpers now? sid

poolturtle
02-08-2005, 10:42 AM
never used a real jumper. I've been playing for years, but noone I know is really into pool. Most of the players I meet are just decent shooters with their own cue(singular). I'm in a pretty small town with no real pool scene. I'm just now really learning about quality equipment, hence the naivity of the question /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did get better action with it shortened, but I really have nothing to compare it to(a real jump cue)

stickman
02-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I just bought a magic jump cue from 5 star billiards. It is a dedicated jumper. I'm very happy with the results, and especially happy with the price. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> I own a 5 piece brunswick cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Never, ever, as long as you live, say this around anyone who knows who you are /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

poolturtle
02-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Funny. For the record, it was a gift from an ex-girlfriend's dad. I want something better, but I'm on a Wal-mart employee budget! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Humor me and give me some suggestions for a decent cue for a decent price.

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2005, 08:05 AM
I bought a Mali once for a GF, went for under a hundred off the web, nice looking and I couldn't believe how well I played with it. If you feel trtuly on a tight budget, you might begin with such a cue. Otherwise you will want to budget in $150-200 for one of the major brands, McDermott-Viking, etc. Lucasi makes a really fine cue within a good price range as well. Hawley's had then in popular designs at their web store for $120, and those cues are super(imo) sid

poolturtle
02-09-2005, 08:14 AM
I think I can swing $150-$200. I just want to make sure it's a good one. Can't afford to "test" out $200 cues all the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
02-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Take a look at the Fury DL series...available for less than $100, and a darn nice cue for the money!
Steve

SpiderMan
02-09-2005, 08:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I bought a Mali once for a GF, went for under a hundred off the web, nice looking and I couldn't believe how well I played with it. If you feel trtuly on a tight budget, you might begin with such a cue. Otherwise you will want to budget in $150-200 for one of the major brands, McDermott-Viking, etc. Lucasi makes a really fine cue within a good price range as well. Hawley's had then in popular designs at their web store for $120, and those cues are super(imo) sid <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with everything Sid noted about the above cues, but I guess I always felt that Lucasi should sell considerably cheaper than Viking just because it was made in China. Not that the quality is bad, it's just that I've gotten it in my head that the cost of manufacture must be much lower. I recently bought a Chinese AM/FM "walkman" radio with headphones and battery for 99 cents (everyday retail price). Amazing - wholesale must have been 50 cents, so what did it cost to build?

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-09-2005, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Take a look at the Fury DL series...available for less than $100, and a darn nice cue for the money!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, both Fury and Action give you a decent-playing cue for very little money. I would, however, advise you to buy it from a local source if possible. That way you can choose one with good joinery at the ferrule and joint, and straight grain in the shaft.

There are usually a few guys around that are buying these cheaper cues in bulk and selling them on the side to make a little money. Ask around your local hangouts and league players.

There is variation in quality at this price point, probably because they don't screen the materials or finished product as tightly as others might. It's worth paying an extra $10 or $20 versus buying off Ebay, just so you can get your pick of the litter.

SpiderMan

cheese_ball
02-09-2005, 03:55 PM
pool turtle-

buy a jacoby jumper, they are the best on the market for $225.00. This jumper is very easy to use. I've tought 5 newbies how to jump in about 5 min. They have a neat little groove at the joint that makes the "dart" jumps super-easy.