PDA

View Full Version : Forarm covering butt/wrap on cue in follow through

christopheradams
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
During my practice session today I was hitting the balls pretty good and it helped to think about having my forearm cover/touch the butt of the cue/wrap on my stroking arm. It gives you a nice follow through. Any one else find this? or have any other stroke thoughts that work good for them?

Rod
02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
The basics are, you forearm should be perpendicular to the floor. If that's your position where you hold the cue, then ok. Many hold the cue choked up, arm to far forward. While some hold to far back, you want your forearm vertical at impact.

There are obvious reasons for this but in the end that's how you develope consistancy. There are exceptions but they are few and later on down the road.

Rod

wolfdancer
02-08-2005, 11:04 PM
I think it's a good idea to cover your butt, in almost any endeavor, except maybe bathing on a nude beach.
Hope all these mnemonics.....forearm touching butt, bicep curls, etc are helping your game....I'm reminded though of the golf pro that said "I play good golf when I have only one swing thought, but I play my best golf, when I don't have to think about my swing"
I'm still trying to get them paper balls to spin....lol

christopheradams
02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I think it's a good idea to cover your butt, in almost any endeavor, except maybe bathing on a nude beach.
Hope all these mnemonics.....forearm touching butt, bicep curls, etc are helping your game....I'm reminded though of the golf pro that said "I play good golf when I have only one swing thought, but I play my best golf, when I don't have to think about my swing"
I'm still trying to get them paper balls to spin....lol <hr /></blockquote>

When I play in competition I don't think of anything but strategy, when I'm practicing I think of everything that I don't want to think about when I'm playing.
It makes me play better. When I was playing more golf, I got down to a 7 handicap and the same thing worked for my golf game. Its hard to play any game when you have a million thoughts going through your mind. The only thought I use on a regular basis is the straight back, straight through thought or the point at the target thought when I am in competition. 9balls not so tough(thinking wize), you just think 3 balls ahead and be weary of the trouble spots and key positions shots, but 8ball I like to shoot the whole game in my mind before I take the 1st shot, and to do that its tough to be thinking about keeping your head down or pausing on the backstroke. Don't think I am saying 9 ball is easy, its definately not. It just easy to know what to do.

wolfdancer
02-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Congratulations!!!
A single digit handicap was one of my goals...but never got that good. I'd like to have had the equipment available now...about 20 years ago....esp. my Hawkeye driver, and 2-ball putter.
I had to remind myself to follow through on the pool stroke...just like in golf, i got that "hit" impulse..so i use(d) an old putting theory...if you take the putter back 4", then you follow through 4" works for me
Don't think I'll ever get to be a single-digit hdcp (equiv.)
pool player either....but the fun's in trying.

christopheradams
02-09-2005, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Congratulations!!!
A single digit handicap was one of my goals...but never got that good. I'd like to have had the equipment available now...about 20 years ago....esp. my Hawkeye driver, and 2-ball putter.
I had to remind myself to follow through on the pool stroke...just like in golf, i got that "hit" impulse..so i use(d) an old putting theory...if you take the putter back 4", then you follow through 4" works for me
Don't think I'll ever get to be a single-digit hdcp (equiv.)
pool player either....but the fun's in trying. <hr /></blockquote>

That's definately a good putting thought. I have used that one also. I really like gripping way down on the shaft too. I gotta get out and play some more golf this year! Since I did not play once last year( only driving range) I would be happy shooting bogey golf, a few pars, and maybe a few shots at a bird. Working at a golf course and all the free golf sure helped my game get to that low handicap.
One thing I think that has helped my golf game that I brought over from my pool game is a light grip. I use to grip too tight and get callouses on my palms. Custom made golf clubs also improved my game.