PDA

View Full Version : Allowing jump and masse shots on my home table?

mg175150
02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
I purchased a new table a few weeks back. I have had a few friends over to play since. I also had a party at my house for Super Bowl. Can't believe how many dumb asses I had to tell to get their beers off the table, not to sit on the table, and to quit jumping balls all over the table. The beers and sitting on the table should be common sense no no's. But my question to you home table owners is whether you allow jump and masse shots on your table? We aren't talking pro pool players by any means. Thanks.

dr_dave
02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mg175150:</font><hr>my question to you home table owners is whether you allow jump and masse shots on your table? We aren't talking pro pool players by any means. Thanks.<hr /></blockquote>
I allow jump and masse shots only if a small piece of spare cloth is first placed under the cue ball. That protects the table cloth from permanent burn marks and possible damage resulting from poor execution.

Billy_Bob
02-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I got my table specifically to practice jump and masse' shots, so I do it plently and encourage everyone else to do so also. My cloth only lasts about 6 months, but I replace it myself, so no biggie expense wise. One of my friends is now quite good at jump shots. My table is the first one he could practice on.

I bought a 25oz 48" masse' cue and went to town experimenting with masse' shots. This really wrecked my table. But what fun!

Once I learn jump and masse' shots fairly well, maybe I'll do the cloth under the ball thing. But for now, I throw up all the balls and shoot shoot shoot. My table is a wreck after jump and masse' practice day, but a vacuuming, brushing, and damp cloth wipe down gets it looking reasonably all around green again.

I also draw on it with regular blackboard chalk and put lines down with a construction chalk line, place stickers on it, etc. I really give my cloth a beating, but again it is for practice and learning...

Perk
02-09-2005, 06:18 AM
I allow any shot the player wants to do while playing the game. Occassionally we might make a few jumpshots for practice, but it is just a few, and from different spots on the table. I dont really care if they come up during a game or not, I just chalk it up to normal wear. My table has lasted 1.5 years with Simonis, and I am just now to the point of thinking about refelting it. My rack area is getting annoying to get a tight rack, and there are some pretty hard white patterns. Nothing from jumpshots.

&lt;--once I decide to refelt, then we will probably work on the masse shot... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
"I allow any shot the player wants to do while playing the game. Occassionally we might make a few jumpshots for practice, but it is just a few, and from different spots on the table. I dont really care if they come up during a game or not, I just chalk it up to normal wear. My table has lasted 1.5 years with Simonis, and I am just now to the point of thinking about refelting it. My rack area is getting annoying to get a tight rack, and there are some pretty hard white patterns. Nothing from jumpshots.

I have the same opinions, a table is for use, jumps included, BUT I'd at first see if the people know how to do it right.

Anyone leaving a beer on my table gets uninvited to do LOTS of things, like getting invited back!!!sid

JimS
02-09-2005, 07:50 AM
I allow all shots when they come up in the course of play. Beginners (grandkids especially) are shown how to do things and are well schooled on the house rules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyone, I mean ANYONE, who even thinks about sitting on the table or bringing a drink within 3 feet of the table is in big trouble and in jepordy of not being allowed in the pool/family room. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

poolturtle
02-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm the same way. I had my own table up for a while (in storage for lack of room /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif) everybody was schooled on the house rules. I allowed masse shots and jumps, but only if I knew them. That's where I learned them myself. I'm proud to say I did a masse shot aroun 4 balls last week. Personal best. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
02-09-2005, 08:06 AM
I allow all shots, but I use a launching pad for break shots.

I also plan on having my table recovered every couple of years. It's $400 or so with new 860 but I think I get my nickel's worth out of it. It's in a prominent area of our family room, so I like to keep it looking nice.

Chris

DavidMorris
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
I believe a pool table is for playing pool, and a part of playing the game is jumps and masse's, so yes I allow them, but only with people who know what they're doing. My Brunswick Avalon is 2 years old now and still has the original Simonis 860. It has a few burn spots but IMHO that gives a table a "seasoned" appearance and doesn't bother me until I start seeing more white than green. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW Simonis will burn just from regular shots too, that's why some people don't like it. I choose cloth for it's playability and action, not just to maintain a like-new appearance.

I don't agree with using an extra piece of cloth because you're totally changing the characteristics of the shot. When you go play somewhere in a tournament or in a money game you aren't going to be able to use that extra piece of cloth and the shot will play differently than in practice.

christopheradams
02-09-2005, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mg175150:</font><hr> We aren't talking pro pool players by any means. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

If they are beginners/casual players I would say no. Its your nice table which you paid your hard earned money for so you don't need masse and jump marks all over it. And most beginners jump illegally anyway by scooping under the ball and they miscue many times when attempting the masse.
If you are playing a match with someone who knows what they are doing and a jump shot or masse shot comes into play I would say allow it. I find that most masse or jump shots don't need to be struck hard enough to do any harm to the cloth anyway.
You could just tell them before hand that they can jump or masse as long as they pay to have your table recovered after the match /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BCgirl
02-10-2005, 12:24 AM
OK, so who thought it was a good idea to let a bunch of drunken guys loose on a brand new table at a SuperBowl party? Dr.Dave's suggestion of a piece of cloth is great, but after a few beers, I'd suspect a more creative use might be made of it. Best to get some cardboard, plastic, and duct tape, wrap your table up, and tell them it's a really big new washing machine.

SuperBowl party aside, I'd say that it's your table, and you set the rules. As far as I'm concerned, jump shots, and masse's depend on the player's skill level with the shot. If Efren Reyes dropped by for a set and had to play a masse to save himself from an embarrasing whitewash, I'd probably let him, just so long as he did that silly thing he does with his T-shirt.

BCgirl

christopheradams
02-10-2005, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCgirl:</font><hr> OK, so who thought it was a good idea to let a bunch of drunken guys loose on a brand new table at a SuperBowl party? Dr.Dave's suggestion of a piece of cloth is great, but after a few beers, I'd suspect a more creative use might be made of it. Best to get some cardboard, plastic, and duct tape, wrap your table up, and tell them it's a really big new washing machine.

SuperBowl party aside, I'd say that it's your table, and you set the rules. As far as I'm concerned, jump shots, and masse's depend on the player's skill level with the shot. If Efren Reyes dropped by for a set and had to play a masse to save himself from an embarrasing whitewash, I'd probably let him, just so long as he did that silly thing he does with his T-shirt.

BCgirl
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the laugh /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am try ing to picture what exactly that silly thing is that Efren does with his t shirt though.
Efren wouldn't need to masse. He's a freak when it comes to kicks. He would kick at it 10 rails, left handed behind his back or something like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Isn't he unbeleivable with the Kicks. Thats gotta come from his 3 cushion billards background. The "Magican" is definately the name for him.