PDA

View Full Version : A "Sneakier" Pete?

heater451
05-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Since I believe even the average hall player is wise to the 2-piece cues that resemble house cues (the "Sneaky Pete"), wouldn't it be even sneakier, to have a custom cue made to look like a cheap 2-piece?

Maybe even have "Harvard", some other cheap cue brandname, or just a goofy sticker of an 8-ball placed on the butt. . . .(I don't even think using a brand name would be illegal, since neither the maker, nor the purchaser would believe it to be a product of the real company.)

A cheap nylon soft-case to carry it into the room would be a nice touch as well.

Anyone out there done this?

Cueless Joey
05-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Make one look like a Meucci. LOL

heater451
05-29-2002, 06:44 PM
How about a custom 5-piece, like the ones that look like someone made the butt from an oriental coffee table leg?

05-29-2002, 06:47 PM
very interesting post. yes, sneaky pete's are no longer sneaky at all and haven't been for at least 15 years. the main reason for purchase now is that sneaky pete's are the best value in cue quality. what better made entry level cue than a sneaky pete? that alone ruins much of the sneakiness. almost all of them still look fancy enough(finish especially) as to fool only the foolish, and what fun or profit is there to play them anyway? in the hands of a skilled player, sneaky pete's are anti sneaky, almost neon sign blaringly so.
now a cue extremely well made, but with a silky finish on only the stoking area of the cue... beat-up house cue looking looking elswhere...now that is really sneaky and would have probably earned extra money years ago. lol..great idea for furthering this with false labels(i did lol in real life when i saw your 8-ball sticker line). perhaps what the world needs is a sneakier pete, there is surely a market for it. of course, soon as rain, then even the sneakier pete would wouldn't be sneaky. i'm sure there are some people out there doing this now. although for true hustled games the point is moot. i feel that the only way to want a cue like this is to get over on 2-5 dollar players. the days of uninformed local gamblers with money is over now. hmmm... still though an extra few bucks here and there couldn't hurt. i am curious to other responses you might get. maybe the best sneaky pete of all is a budwieser or other common cheapie cue with a quality shaft. or one of those awful airbrushed "hot woman" or "8-Ball is Awesome" things. hmmmmm, now that in a bar setting and not a pool hall...hmmmmm. hustlers beware.
best regards,
a drunkenly depressed ^v^

05-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Why drunkenly depressed Bluebird? Out of stroke?

05-29-2002, 11:17 PM
Get yourself a Bud or Miller lite cue and stick a predator shaft on it.
Works like a charm in bars

ted harris
05-30-2002, 02:14 AM
Heater,
Bob Dzuricky of Dzuricky Custom Cues from Erie, PA, makes a cue out of a Budweiser cue that looks perfect for what you are talking about. You can check it out at http://frontpage.erie.net/dzcues/sneaky%20petes.htm down towards the bottom of the page.
I think he has them available occasionally.

Pizza Bob
05-30-2002, 08:53 AM
As others have noted, a "sneakier" pete would be one of the Taiwanese Ramin wood cues made into a shooter. Last year I was visiting with a cuemaker friend (who shall remain nameless). I was looking through his travel case and spying a brass joint, thought I may have happened upon an old Brunswick or the like. Imagine my surprise when I pulled it out by the pin and found that it was a Budweiser cue. One of the originals with the entire butt end lithographed with reproductions of the Bud label and a red nylon wrap (in this case, starting to unravel). I asked him what the heck this was (well maybe not in those exact words) and instead of saying anything he just walked over to the case and dug out the shaft, handed it to me and said, "Hit a few balls with it." The cue hit a ton - by anyones judgement, it hit like a fine custom cue, greatly belying its appearance. The puzzled look on my face prompted him to open up. It had been a ramin wood cue. He had cored the entire butt with maple, installed a brass pin-in-butt joint and made a new (appropriately aged) shaft for it. He went further by "enhancing" the cue by intentionally fraying the wrap. He told me that this was what he called his "Devious Pete." He gave it to a road-player friend of his with the following instructions: 1) Do not put it in any kind of case - simply rubberband the two halves together. 2) Upon entry to a likely pool room, assemble the cue and roll continuously back and forth on the table. 3) Walk around the table a few times and then approach a local and ask him where you put the quarters in. He had people coming out of the woodwork to play him. My favorite part of this story was that even when they saw he could play, the cue made it impossible for them to resist. He was practicing, getting in stroke, in a room in a town he had already "burned". A stranger was watching him run rack after rack with this Budweiser cue. So great was the temptation that the local approached the road-player and said, "Hey buddy, I see you play pretty good, but a Budweiser cue?...Wanna play for $100 a rack?" The road-player left there up $800. LMAO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

05-30-2002, 09:48 AM
Efren had the best sneaky. He came here with a 10 dollar Philippine made cue. The checkers were actually made of nail polish. The wrap was sprayed on. The forearm looked yellowish as it had lacquer finish. The shaft looked like ramin and it was skinny. Of course nobody knew it was an old-growth maple that was part of a bowling alley lane for decades. Efren shot the lights out with that cue in pool AND billiards.

TonyM
05-30-2002, 12:14 PM
I've seen rebuilt Budweiser cues with Predator shafts, phenolic collars and linen wraps. How sneaky is that?

Tony

cheesemouse
05-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Pizza Bob,
The best thing about a rubber band to hold your cue/shaft is you can buy your cases by the gross. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif