PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Needs Advice

rubydragon
02-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Hi, I'm 29/Female, just registered. I'm having an internal battle right now and I need some advice. 10 years ago I played pool very seriously, full time. I survived off of it. My tourney winnings covered gas, food and the next tourney's entry fee. I slept in the car ALOT, very rarely going back to my apartment. I plateued after about a year and got bored. Couldn't get easy action anymore. At that point, I was playing Ray Martin and Steve Cook in local tourneys in Port Richey. I went head to head with them. I didn't know how to go any further. I was very ignorant regarding the ladies tours and such. So.. I quit. I came back about a year ago. I found that I still have "it". Here's my dilemna.... I work fulltime. Been at my company for 6 years now. I make about 30 grand a year, but I can't get back to the level game I had unless I compete everyday. Can't compete everyday if I'm working full time. I'm considering quitting my job and taking a part time job back in the poolrooms, and competing everyday. I'm going to Alabama this month for the Peschauer event, but I know it's a waste of time because I haven't been able to compete everyday. I'm joining the SEAL tour this year too. I'm pretty confident I can dominate the SEALS. I went to the hill with their finest player in 2004, after having been out of the game for 8 years. My husband says I should not quit my job. (He doesn't play, but he supports me in my playing). I told him I can always go back to my old job, but I can never go back to pool. I told him I could take out a loan for 20 grand, work part time at the pool room and play fulltime on the Florida Spirit Tour, possibly the WPBA if I'm successful. He's iffy. He says I can succeed without quitting my job. He doesn't understand that I need to compete everyday. He wants me to be a weekend warrior... Any advice would be appreciated...

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2005, 04:59 AM
First, "Hello, welcome!" You have quite the jam, cuz to compete like you want, the job will be a problem. It is also imperative to keep a balance and a contented mate, if he goes "iffy" with this it is very possibly worse than struggling with the job. I'm no psychology guru, but my gut tells me that you won't find it a good thing to quit a job under your current circumstances. I would suggest to give it a longer period of time and hopefully see your other-half in better spirits, but beware, he very well may never get there, especially since he does not play. I personally would have a problem if I had a mate wishing to dedicate entirely like this, that's just me, I would(and still) be more into my Lady's time together and, me?, I'd find pool a contender against my time with my young playmate.This advice comes from someone who hasn't attained the proficiency of this game as you seemingly have in your past. I'll also say that I am a person valuing a good relationship more than the pool game, but that's just me. It is a tough choice, you obviously "got game" and this ain't going to be easy either way it goes.

Those are some impressive names you have stated as "head to head." sid

cheesemouse
02-09-2005, 05:14 AM
rubydragon,

Before offering any advice I would ask if you have a home table?

pooltchr
02-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Here is a question for you. How many tournaments would you have to win to cover the $30k a year? Remember to figure your expenses for travel, entry fees and hotel rooms.
There are not a lot of players, male or female, who can make any kind of living playing pool. Are you in a position to be able to afford the loss of income?
Maybe a little compromise is the way to go. Can you work 8 hours a day and then get 3-4 hours a day in the pool room? Maybe if your husband can pick up some of the household chores, it might work out. He might be willing to do that if you keep the full time job.
If you have that strong of a desire, I think you can find a way to balance it all out. Just keep in mind that you probably won't make a living playing pool unless you can break into the top 10 or higher on the tour. Check out the annual income for WPBA pro's. Scratch the top 5, and see if there is enough in it to make that sacrafice.

I hope you can make it happen. Just make sure you are going into it with your eyes wide open.
Good Luck!
Steve

LARRY_BOY
02-09-2005, 07:06 AM
It all comes down to prioitys. Is pool a cool hobby or your life. If you answered life you have already made your decision......dump your husband move where ever and chase your dream. The only thing to keep in mind is that in all probibility you will end up broke and alone. You can count on one hand the women who make a living playing pool full time..........

DavidMorris
02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
^^^ what Steve said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's very difficult to make a living playing pool, even for top-tier players. Only the top 10 (maybe 5?) or so probably take home enough money to compare with your current salary, and they are busting their humps travelling around just to do that. Maybe you enjoy that sort of life, so it wouldn't be hard for you, but I couldn't do it even if I had that much game -- not with a family to support, the income is just too spotty and inconsistent. Maybe if I was single... I dunno.

Just my $0.02... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
02-09-2005, 08:56 AM
You have already gotten some good advice and you sound like you have some common sense so I am only going to say this. Most all of us to some degree live lives of regret. We regret the things we have done, as well as the things we did not do. We also live multiple lives as we grow older. You are not the person today you were ten years ago and you will not be the same person ten years from now you are today. The job is replaceable, but this window in time isn't. If you decide to do it, even if it doesn't work out completely I don't think it will have been a mistake. Nothing comes with a guarantee, not even your current life and situation.

You have no idea where this will lead, you may become a world class player, end up in a different part of the business maybe owning a pool room, or end up back at a similar job to what you have now, better and richer for the experience. I don't want to sound profound or anything but when you reach a certain age you look back and a lot of what you thought was important turns out to be a lot of crap. You have to make some money, that is just a reality, but you also have to be happy and live an interesting life that is worth living. What ever you do be sure you have some kind of plan although it will probably be constantly evolving. I personally don't regret too much in my life, even the dopiest things I did always seem lead to something. Life is nothing but a series of, "Should I turn left or should I turn right", and even though we may think we know which is correct, they are both a mystery. I am not crazy about you borrowing the 20 grand, debt equates to pressure and I hate debt. Arrange your priorities so you don't need it. New cars and such have nothing to do with your dream at this point. Be happy

Cane
02-09-2005, 09:28 AM
First, Welcome to CCB!

Your story sounds very familiar. I quit playing pool to lead a normal life in 1988. I just started back again in the spring of 2002.

Popcorn made some great points. You've already gotten a lot of advice about this but there is one thing with which I STRONGLY agree... borrowing 20 dimes to get started wouldn't be my idea of a good way to start. You just have to make a decision on whether you want to play pool part time or give up the life to which you and your husband are accustomed. If I had the talent you apparently have, I'd go for it... no doubts, no hesitation, but then again, I do have an income that affords me the oppurtunity to do that without endangering my current lifestyle.

I'm very fortunate to have a girlfriend of 7 years that completely supports all of my pool endeavors. Of course, it helps that I have an early retirement income, so we don't suffer if I don't work (and I don't except for teaching a little pool and making a few fly rods)! In the 80's, before I quit, my dedication to pocket billiards cost me 3 marriages, which probably would have gone down the drain anyways (got back with the 3rd one after I quit and she eventually found other endeavors that didn't involve my presence). Dreams are sometimes costly, so make sure pursuing the dream is worth the cost.

Best of luck,
Bob

Billy_Bob
02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I've always been an adventurous type of person. You only live once. You may find yourself older one day and say... "I wish I had done this or I wish I had done that".

For example I had the chance to see the space shuttle land. I went to work instead. I had the chance to see the Olympics. I went to work instead. Now I realize that work was not so important, I could have called in sick and kept my job *and* done these things. Of course you are in the situation of leaving your full time job. Perhaps a part-time job would be a happy medium?

Anyway I say stop to smell the roses. Live it up!

Also if you put yourself in the position where you need to win to eat, I'll bet your game improves quite a bit!

Associate basic needs like food/shelter, etc. with winning. I think a "primal will to survive" will come out.

wolfdancer
02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Ruby, on the assumption that this post is serious......
Do you really want to risk your marriage, throw away six years on the job....for the nomadic life of a pool hall
junkie.....living from one tournament to the other, sleeping in your car, depending not only on your pool skills, but that old x-factor...luck, to win you enough $$ to survive until the next tournament???? And then the cycle begins anew>
There may be something enticing about becoming a pool ascetic...but, you burned out once after a year.

Flip a coin....

HEADS...........
..you can maybe take this advice:

"Ruby, oh Ruby, don't take your cues to town.
Ruby, oh Ruby, for God's sake, settle down"

TAILS.........
"When the drink finally hit her
She said i'm no quitter
But i finally quit living on dreams
I'm hungry for laughter
And here ever after
I'm after whatever the other life brings"
SO

If'n you ain't got
..."Four hungry children and a crop in the field"
it's
"Curtain up, light the lights
you got nothing to hit but the heights..."

Voodoo Daddy
02-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Well you read most of what could be said here Ruby. To borrow 20K automatically puts you in the red, not smart. Giving up a full-time gig for a part-time gig isnt so bad if the family doesnt suffer. Constant battle and tournament play is what you need or what you crave? I cant/wont tell you whats right for you because I dont know.

Maybe you should hunt Ray Martin down and ask his opinion since he has seen your game first hand, just to see what his 2 pennies are. In any case its your final decision and I'm sure you'll choose the right one, good luck to you.

Billy_Bob
02-09-2005, 12:19 PM
This thread reminds me of those cartoons where someone needs to make a decision and two clouds pop up on either side of his/her head. One cloud says to be naughty and the other cloud says to be good...

Popcorn
02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I love stories like this
http://imdb.com/name/nm0429760/bio

tateuts
02-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Unless you are a world beater right now, nobody in their right mind would suggest that you go against your husband's wishes, quit your job, and borrow 20K to go on the circuit.

Sorry but you would just be giving in to your impulses.

The sensible way is to get your game up to pro speed, and when and if you can play and have a decent chance to win against the pros, play them after you've saved enough money to be able to quit your job and travel. Your husband married you and is tied in this with you, so he's part of the financial deal and the decision.

I would like to point out that there are good players who work full time and have great careers, yet are still able to compete at the highest levels of professional pool.

Once you prove that you can take on top talent locally and make some money in tournaments, I think your husband will come aboard. The top players are a lot better than most players realize. When they miss it's a gift.

Chris

Stretch
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> This thread reminds me of those cartoons where someone needs to make a decision and two clouds pop up on either side of his/her head. One cloud says to be naughty and the other cloud says to be good...
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL ya, and the devil and angel voices haha. Fortunately i only have 7 more years to put in before i can play full time. Freedom Fifty Five! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

Barbara
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rubydragon:</font><hr> My husband says I should not quit my job. (He doesn't play, but he supports me in my playing). I told him I can always go back to my old job, but I can never go back to pool. I told him I could take out a loan for 20 grand, work part time at the pool room and play fulltime on the Florida Spirit Tour, possibly the WPBA if I'm successful. He's iffy. He says I can succeed without quitting my job. He doesn't understand that I need to compete everyday. He wants me to be a weekend warrior... Any advice would be appreciated... <hr /></blockquote>

What is your ultimate goal with pool? Do you want to become a WPBA professional player? And by saying I need to compete everyday do you mean "practice"?

Barbara

wolfdancer
02-09-2005, 02:09 PM
PRACTICE !!!!...we ain't got time fer no stink'n practice.
Don't screw up our dreams with trivial details....

Fred Agnir
02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
What is your ultimate goal with pool? Do you want to become a WPBA professional player? And by saying I need to compete everyday do you mean "practice"?<hr /></blockquote>

I know a female pro player who is in action virtually every day. And I ain't talking about practice.

Fred

Billy_Bob
02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Read this book...
"The Black Widow's Guide to Killer Pool" by Jeanette Lee

In this book, she discusses herself working/making ends meet *and* becoming a top player...

rubydragon
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I have several responses and I'm sorry that I can't remember who I'm responding to... To one person.. I did email Ray to get a little perspective. I do practice alone at the local pool room. I do need to compete alot as well. I gamble at every opportunity for the competetive practice. To someone else... Yes, I have been thinking since last night, and a few wins locally will get my husband "on board". You're right about that. I've decided not to jump the gun. The 20 grand is not a good idea. Also, I have inspected their winnings. I'm definately not doing this for the money... It's my dream, always has been. I've decided to be the weekend warrior, for the time being. And to another... I will definately pick up that book by Jeanette Lee. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE !!! MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET SOME OF YOU. I will post where I'll be heading. Maybe we'll run into eachother at the same touraments... I'll most likely be in Alabama this weekend for Peschauer (as long as I can get rid of this damned toothache!!)

PS: Keep an eye out for me in Pool &amp; Billiards... I'll be in the SEAL Tour listings..

~~ Call It ~~

Rubydragon
Becky Wagner

Stretch
02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rubydragon:</font><hr> I have several responses and I'm sorry that I can't remember who I'm responding to... To one person.. I did email Ray to get a little perspective. I do practice alone at the local pool room. I do need to compete alot as well. I gamble at every opportunity for the competetive practice. To someone else... Yes, I have been thinking since last night, and a few wins locally will get my husband "on board". You're right about that. I've decided not to jump the gun. The 20 grand is not a good idea. Also, I have inspected their winnings. I'm definately not doing this for the money... It's my dream, always has been. I've decided to be the weekend warrior, for the time being. And to another... I will definately pick up that book by Jeanette Lee. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE !!! MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MEET SOME OF YOU. I will post where I'll be heading. Maybe we'll run into eachother at the same touraments... I'll most likely be in Alabama this weekend for Peschauer (as long as I can get rid of this damned toothache!!)

PS: Keep an eye out for me in Pool &amp; Billiards... I'll be in the SEAL Tour listings..

~~ Call It ~~

Rubydragon
Becky Wagner <hr /></blockquote>

We'll be looking for you Becky! Great to have you on board and i look forward to following your progress. You'll find this forum very usefull as an information and networking resource. You can't have too many friends in this game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif St

tateuts
02-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Becky,

Good luck to you and we will keep an eye out for you.

It sure sounds like you're willing to put in the work to groom yourself, your skills, and your nerves to play in the big leagues. It takes time. When you're hill-hill with the best players in the country, think of us.

Chris

Scott Lee
02-10-2005, 03:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
The sensible way is to get your game up to pro speed, and when and if you can play and have a decent chance to win against the pros, play them after you've saved enough money to be able to quit your job and travel. Your husband married you and is tied in this with you, so he's part of the financial deal and the decision.

I would like to point out that there are good players who work full time and have great careers, yet are still able to compete at the highest levels of professional pool.

Once you prove that you can take on top talent locally and make some money in tournaments, I think your husband will come aboard. The top players are a lot better than most players realize. When they miss it's a gift.

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>

Becky...I agree 100% with Chris here. I've worked with many players, male and female, who are/were "up and coming" competitors. There are as many reasons to want to play well, as there are people to play. I'd be happy to look at your game, and give you my two cents worth, on where you are, vs. where you want to be...and how to get there. PM or email me, and we can talk more about this. I'm assuming from your post that you are located in FL.

Scott Lee

pooltchr
02-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Hey Scott.
Congratulations! Randy told me you "saw the light" while working with him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'm hoping to get out to Texas to upgrade and get the Expert level done in April.
Give me a shout when you are in NC.
Steve

GeraldG
02-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Becky,
Maybe you could take your vacation and go on a little road trip. Take the best bankroll you can put together when you go. Get your husband to go with you, you don't want to do this alone. Plan out a little "circuit" before you go and try to hit the towns where there is a some action. You can catch the little local tournaments and find games and maybe make it coincide with some of the bigger tourneys on your route.

You'll find out how hard it is to get a game you can live with and just how competetive some of these tourneys are. Get rooms near the pool halls so it's convenient to practice and get to the room to play. Check your bankroll when you go home and compare it to when you started.

It will be like an interesting alternative vacation for your husband and an eye-opener for you. Two or three weeks of nothing but playing pool in different places against different faces and trying to keep ahead of the game....it ain't easy. You can either keep the bankroll separate from your traveling money, or you can try to do both on the bankroll. Doing both on the bankroll is more realistic...if you go off too much you sleep in the car and eat cheese crackers.

You'll find out quickly to stay away from the handicapped tournaments for trying to win money...they always make new unknown players play too high to win. However, you can use them to dump so you can book better in that PH after the tournament. Even in the open tourneys if you show too much speed you'll have problems getting a good book afterwards.

Very, very few players make enough money from sanctioned tournaments to make a living. If you're going to make a living playing pool, you have to learn how to gamble. This might be a good taste of what that's like. You'll find out that everybody wants something. Nobody wants to play straight-up...you'll get used to either giving weight or not booking. Everyone wants the advantage tipped to their favor...the idea is to get the money, not give it away. Sometimes you'll play for hours and end up breaking even....wasted time...and you might do that often.

I know you're not in it to make money, but you have to make a living. If you want to compete on that level, it doesn't leave much time for anything else...like a job.

Just a thought....if nothing else, you'll meet a bunch of new people....some you'll want to see again and some you definitely won't.

Popcorn
02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
What light did Scott see?

pooltchr
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Set, Pause and Finish!

Scott Lee
02-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Steve...I've used 'set, pause, finish' for years...I just called it something else. It is not a new concept for me.

Scott

pooltchr
02-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I kinda thought so. When Randy told me you had seen the light, I wondered what it was all about.
Steve