PDA

View Full Version : The Black Widow' challenges Greenville

PQQLK9
02-09-2005, 09:38 AM
'The Black Widow' challenges Greenville
Greenville residents offered a chance to compete
http://media.theeastcarolinian.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/s-42098ba06d8b8-30-1.jpg

Nick Henne, News Editor
February 09, 2005

People from around Greenville visited Tie Breakers sports bar Tuesday night to see pool champion Jeanette Lee, also known as "the Black Widow."

The nights events consisted of trick shot sessions and people had the chance to play Lee one on one.

While Lee was there for the fun just like anyone else, she took the competition serious as always.

"If you challenge me, I'm going to have to do my business, but on the side from that we can have drinks and have a nice time," said Lee.

Before the nights events occurred, Lee said she looked forward to challenging the various Greenville residents, including Bill Herrion, men's basketball coach of ECU who was said to attend the event.

"Coach Herrion I heard you wanted to challenge the Black Widow, well I say stop into my web," Lee said.

Lee said although she has not seen much of Greenville, enjoyed her visit.

"It's beautiful here, and obviously there are a lot of people who love Billiards so I'm really excited because I like to share my passion and we're just really going to have a lot of fun tonight at Tie Breakers," Lee said.

she said her time for competition was the upcoming WPBA tournament, the Carolina Billiard's classic is where she will focus on competition. She is scheduled to competing against other women pool champions and she is planning on excelling in her competition.

She said she looks at each tournament as her opportunity to shine and it is not only something she works hard for but it is something she loves to do.

Lee said she received the name "The black Widow" from "some idiots" in a pool room who used to make fun of her and call her "the Black Widow" because she would dress in black. She said when the pool room owner would talk about how she appeared sweet and cute when she first walked into the pool hall.

She said she began playing pool when she turned 18 and became pro at age 21 before she became ranked number one in the world at age 23. She feels it is because of her natural competitiveness that drives her to keep playing. She has undergone 8 major surgeries in her time and she said she finds pool a good way to be physically active and competitive.

She sees in the future of her career, she wants to ultimately be the best player she can be and no ranking can determine how much she can accomplish. She would also like to know that she did more than just win.

"I'd like to know that I changed the sport, I'd like to know that I elevated the level of the game, its reputation, I'd like to know that I brought new eyes to the sport, that I brought more education to the kids,"

she said that the biggest difference between champions and everyone else is that the champions keep getting up and striving to achieve their goals. She encourages everyone who has goals of any kind not to let up because there are always going to be things that are going to get in their way and stop them and they need to always go forward.

This writer can be contacted at news@theeastcarolinian.com

bsmutz
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Nice story, but I think they need a new editor.

nhp
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
She's undergone 8 major surgeries for what?

Barbara
02-09-2005, 07:00 PM
nhp,

Jeanette has scoliosis which is a curvature of the back spine. When she was young she had rods surgically inserted to try and correct this problem. It took a few sugeries since then to re-correct the problem as she grew older.

Barbara

Harold Acosta
02-10-2005, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Nice story, but I think they need a new editor. <hr /></blockquote>

They also need a new computer with spell checker....