View Full Version : academy of cueing arts videos good? 2 videos

christopheradams
02-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Has anyone checked out these videos:
The foundation
The Finer points
Heres the Website:
http://www.billiardsanctuary.com/welcome.htm
I am intereseted in adding to my collection but wanted to see what people thought of them.

Popcorn
02-09-2005, 07:34 PM
I've met the guy and he seemed nice enough and I have heard OK things about his videos. The thing about his or any videos or books is you have to implement what you learn, there are no magic bullets.

Billy_Bob
02-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I just bought them (10 videos in all), I highly recommend video 1 of the foundation series which is on stroke. (Only one I have seen so far, so can't comment on others.) These guys have it down to an exact science. You want a good stroke, this will do it for you.

I'll let everyone know what I think about the rest of the videos after I see them, but I am taking my time, hitting pause, taking notes, playing back sections, then adding things from the videos to my practice. So I estimate a couple of months or more before I will have watched all the videos.

Actually "Zims Rack" of this forum is a BSACA certified instructor and can answer questions about the videos. His info/email is on this link...
http://www.geocities.com/zimsrack/Certificates.html

christopheradams
02-10-2005, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I just bought them (10 videos in all), I highly recommend video 1 of the foundation series which is on stroke. (Only one I have seen so far, so can't comment on others.
Actually "Zims Rack" of this forum is a BSACA certified instructor and can answer questions about the videos. His info/email is on this link...
http://www.geocities.com/zimsrack/Certificates.html
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the Website/email and the info on the videos. I am gonna take a look around ebay and see if theres any used versions of these 10 videos, I am on a tight budget. I just bought the Monk "The lesson" e-books and gotta get new break cue. Considering another predator with a 314 or getting a sledge hammer with the phenolic tip.

Billy_Bob
02-10-2005, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> ...I am on a tight budget... <hr /></blockquote>

I heard that! All this stuff can cost a young fortune. It has been my experience that billiards books/videos sold everywhere are the least worthwhile to myself. And of course these were the first things I purchased. The last things I have purchased are only available through one or a few web sites, yet these videos/books are what I consider to be the very best.

In all fairness, I must say I have been told that books/videos which are intended to be sold to "the masses" are kept simple intentionally. And that "the masses" are not going to be serious players nor are they going to practice much if any.

I had to buy a lot of books/videos before I learned what the best ones are [for a serious player that is].

I guess those who produce the best videos/books are mostly interested in pool and not interested in marketing/business/making money.

And they are not very good at selling their products, but they are darn good at their game or their knowledge of the game.

So as a rule, if a billiard book/video is only available from one web site, you have a 75% chance that it is very good stuff.

If it is not available anywhere (out of print book) and players are still talking about it, it is even better! But then you are going to have to pay through the teeth to get hold of a copy.

But if you are on a budget, I would advise you to ask specific questions here. I have found this forum to be the best so far as good accurate helpful advice.

I asked about tangents and everybody helped me quite a bit here. Scratching is almost a thing of the past with me.

And I asked about safeties, and I am starting to shoot a few here and there and think about what I am doing if I don't have a good shot. I have even won a few games because of a safety I played. I still have a lot more to learn though.

yegon
02-10-2005, 02:16 PM
I got the 10DVDs about a week ago and I have seen them all. They are great in my opinion. Basically everything about fundamentals. If you read this forum you will see the things you know from here (SPF, eye patterns etc.) but in great detail.

JohnnyP
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I bought one of the Monk's videos and thought it was pretty lame. He kept talking 2-7-2 plus 5 or something like that. I tossed it out the other day. $60.

yegon
02-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Actually I have all his videos of the 101 series and I like them a lot. I also have his books and there are a lot of useful shots to learn in The lesson. The videos are just an abbreviation of the book.