PDA

View Full Version : Fake news, fake reporter, fake prez....

nAz
02-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Long article i got it from that left webiste Salon.com, i only posted the first of two pages, its an intresting read on the way todays Republicans higer ups do things. full story (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/02/10/gannon_affair/)

Talon News reporter "Jeff Gannon" lobs White House spokesman Scott McClellan a question at a Feb. 1, 2005, press briefing.

Fake news, fake reporter
Why was a partisan hack, using an alias and with no journalism background, given repeated access to daily White House press briefings?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Eric Boehlert

Feb. 10, 2005 | When President Bush bypassed dozens of eager reporters from nationally and internationally recognized news outlets and selected Jeff Gannon to pose a question at his Jan. 26 news conference, Bush's recognition bestowed instant credibility on the apparently novice reporter, as well as the little-known conservative organization he worked for at the time, called Talon News. That attention only intensified when Gannon used his nationally televised press conference time to ask Bush a loaded, partisan question -- featuring a manufactured quote that mocked Democrats for being "divorced from reality."

Gannon's star turn quickly piqued the interest of many online commentators, who wondered how an obvious Republican operative had been granted access to daily White House press briefings normally reserved for accredited journalists. Two weeks later, a swarming investigation inside the blogosphere into Gannon and Talon News had produced all sorts of damning revelations about how Talon is connected at the hip to a right-wing activist organization called GOPUSA, how its "news" staff consists largely of volunteer Republican activists with no journalism experience, how Gannon often simply rewrote GOP press releases when filing his Talon dispatches. It also uncovered embarrassing information about Gannon's past as well as his fake identity. When Gannon himself this week confirmed to the Washington Post that his name was a pseudonym, it only added to the sense of a bizarre hoax waiting to be exposed.

On Tuesday night, the reporter who apparently saw himself as a trailblazing conservative "embedded with the liberal Washington press corps" abruptly quit his post as Washington bureau chief and White House correspondent for Talon News, that after earlier taunting those digging into his past that he was "hiding in plain sight." Contacted by e-mail for a comment, Gannon referred Salon to the message posted on his Web site: "Because of the attention being paid to me I find it is no longer possible to effectively be a reporter for Talon News. In consideration of the welfare of me and my family I have decided to return to private life. Thank you to all those who supported me."

The Gannon revelations come on the heels of the discovery that Bush administration officials signed lucrative contracts with several conservative pundits who hyped White House initiatives and did not disclose the government's payments. The Talon News fiasco raises serious questions about who the White House is allowing into its daily press briefings. In other words, how can a reporter using a fake name and working for a fake news organization get press credentials from the White House, let alone curry enough favor with the notoriously disciplined Bush administration to get picked by the president in order to ask fake questions? The White House did not return Salon's calls seeking answers to those questions.

The situation "begs further investigation," says James Pinkerton, a media critic for Fox News who has worked for two Republican White Houses. "In the six years I worked for Reagan and Bush I, I remember the White House being strict about who got in. It's inconceivable to me that the White House, especially after 9/11, gives credentials to people without doing a background check."

Gannon reportedly did not have what's known as a "hard pass" for the White House press room, which allows journalists to enter daily without getting prior approval each time. Instead Gannon picked up a daily pass by contacting the White House press office each morning and asking for clearance. Mark Smith, vice president of the White House Correspondents Association, says it's up to White House officials to decide whom they want to wave in each day. "They don't consult us." If they had, Smith says, he would have been "very uncomfortable" granting Gannon the same access as professional journalists.

cheesemouse
02-10-2005, 07:28 AM
naz,

This is perfectly logical in the minds of the presidents advisors. After all. if high school type peep rallys are the soup of the day for all scheduled traveling cocoon appearances the president makes, why not just turn the press conferences in white house(this hitherto open forum) into something the president actually understands and has his cheers down pat. Because of his actual experience donning the pompoms the prez has the script down...GIVE ME AN AAAAAAAAAAAA

Everytime I see our president trying to appear off the cuff and in command of the issues of the day my mind wanders to the pit of the British House of Commons where once a week the leader is thrown to the wolves. He survives only with a powerful knowledge of issues, his wit, and a counter punching humor that instills the confidence that this guy can walk, talk, and chew bubble gum w/o falling flat on his face. Now I know we have a different system but wouldn't it be refreshing...just a thought...LOL

When I am elected president I will come out of my hole every Monday morning and represent my country and my party, the WIT&WHIMS, in the pit every Monday morning.

Gayle in MD
02-10-2005, 07:50 AM
This is obviously the work of Karl Rove, the most underhanded, deceitful, vicious demon to ever hit the political arena of America.

The book, "Bushes Brain" and also the documentary by the same title outlines a history of Karl Rove's evil capacity politics of personal destruction, and natural ability for twisting reality into something totally unrecognizable.

Reading of Rove's past illegal activities, especially those which were helped along by certain individuals in the FBI, not only sends a chill up the spine, but also makes you wonder why the Democrats dont take a more active part in exposing this crooked administration. Anne Richards, McCain, Joe Wilson and his wife, John Kerry, just to name a few who have experienced the evil rath of Rove and Bush,

One can only hope that some how, some way, they will be exposed for the evil liars that they truly are. My guess is, that that will eventually come to pass as they become more and more comfortable with manipulating and lieing and getting away with it as they have thus far.

The next four years will be very interesting indeed, and the pompus right wing "Winners" will be exposed as the scum they truly are. Bush makes Nixon look like a boy scout.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
02-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Gayle, I take it then, that you didn't vote for Mr. Bush??
In " a letter to the editor" yesterday, the author claimed that
in a failed bid for a congressional seat in 1988, GWB was urging privatization of SS, claiming it would be broke by 1988.
A true visionary.........

Gayle in MD
02-10-2005, 12:51 PM
LOL, you guessed it! Crying wolf has been among their favored tactics, as we learned, although too late, in our search for WMD's.

Don't miss the documentary if you have the opportunity to see it, unless you want to get really disgusted and read the whole book.

What a joke that they, of all politicians, claim a connection with God, and family values. They didn't need to be "Born Again" they needed an Exorcism.

Gayle in Md.