PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know Cicero Murphy's nickname

lew
02-10-2005, 09:54 AM
does any one know Cicero Murphy's nickname

Rich R.
02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lew:</font><hr> does any one know Cicero Murphy's nickname <hr /></blockquote>
I don't, but his nephew is a regular poster on the InsidePool forum. He should know it.

GeraldG
02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I think Cisero Murphy just went by Cisero Murphy. (by the way...Cisero is the correct spelling).

His nephew lives in Atlanta and goes by the screen name "MrLucky" on the InsidePool forum. You might be able to psost in there and get an answer form him...he's one of the good guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DickLeonard
02-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Gerald I was in Cisero company many times and watched him play in Worlds Tourneys in NYC. He was always introduced as Cisero James Murphy. I never ever heard anyone call him by anything but Cisero.

I have posted here before and will always say that if he had a fairly normal stroke he would have won many more Worlds Titles. He would just miss the easiest shots with that awful stroke path,stop,then return to the cueball.####

DickLeonard
02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
I forgot to add this to my post we both shared a love for Fast Pitch Softball. I suspect he was a better pitcher because I was a scrawny 5ft6 and 125 and he was much bigger.

That reminds me of Kato he loved softball where has he gone.####

Rich R.
02-11-2005, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> That reminds me of Kato he loved softball where has he gone.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Dick, Kato is alive and well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
He is just not keeping up with the CCB, as he used to.

Deeman2
02-11-2005, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> I forgot to add this to my post we both shared a love for Fast Pitch Softball. I suspect he was a better pitcher because I was a scrawny 5ft6 and 125 and he was much bigger.

That reminds me of Kato he loved softball where has he gone.#### <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Dick,

Did you ever get to play against Eddy Fainter. We won the Memphis Cotton Carnival Tournament in about 1974 and were rewarded by playing the "King and his Court". He pitched from second base, behind his back, was, maybe, over 60 by then and killed us all. He played with only a catcher and two fielders! Man could that guy sling a softball.... </font color>

Deeman

Perk
02-11-2005, 07:52 AM
King and his court: http://www.kingandhiscourt.com/

Any softball fan should check this out. Simply amazing, and I doubt this type of player will ever be matched.

DickLeonard
02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Deeman I saw him pitch in 1953, they played at Hawkins Stadium, a minor league ball stadium. He was awesome and his shortstop hit the wall in left center on one bounce a 365 ft blast. A lot of his effectiveness was due to illegal windups etc.

I saw Ted Klonowski from Conn, win the Watervliet Fast Pitch Tourney in the four nine inning games he won, he struck out 102 batters. He was 6ft4 and 250lbs, left handed and could hold his own with the King. In the 50s/60s Raybestos Brakes supported mens and womens fast pitch teams.

A friend of mine hit a foul ball off of him and when he returned to the bench his manager congratulated him. He thought the manager was belittleing him but the manager said no, your the first one to hit a foul off of him.

Every time I think of Softball, I wonder where Kato went. Has any one seen Kato, K A T O. I might have to turn that into a tune.####

DickLeonard
02-11-2005, 08:14 AM
My brain keeps remembering that tourney. Ted would pitch around 110 miles an hour on his fast ball but when he threw a change on the batters third strike. The batters would swing miss and be two or thre feet on there way to the dugout before the ball reached the catcher.####

MrLucky
02-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Cisero! never used any nicknames! In the pool rooms Everyone knew him simply as "Cisero" and that is the correct spelling of his name not Cicero as I have seen in many articles andd post by those that claimed to know him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mksmith713
02-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Hey Dick, do remember a guy who defected from the former Soviet Union back in the mid 70's that pitched?
I remember watching the U.S. Mens National Team play an exhibition game and this guy shut them out.
They had (at least one)of his fastball clocked at 125mph.
I still can't find any info on this guy.
I remember hearing the name Wolford or something.
Any ideas?

DickLeonard
02-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I wiil have to check on thaton Monday.####

DebraLiStarr
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
That reminds me of Kato he loved softball where has he gone.####

<font color="blue"> Kato is around. I just heard from him the other day. I guess he's lurking. If you're listening Kato, we love you!!!</font color>