PDA

View Full Version : Break

Elz
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
There has surely been a post on this before but...

I'm trying to master the second diamond right/left break.
My best bet is to go with the 5:30 / 7:30 tip position.
Aim at the second row and fire away at about 70% strenght.

This all seems easy, but today, after my 15th rack of ither flying the cue ball to the wall or not getting any balls in.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I come to you for advise. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GeraldG
02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
If you're flying the cueball off the table, that means you are stroking downward. Keep your cue as level as you can.

Elz
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Can't hide it from ya!
I AM stroking it downwards yes... Thanks.
I guess I'll have to change my bridge to lower my cue.
It's gonna be a challenge, having the cue ball so close to the cushion.

Elz
02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Any one care to post their break methods..?

Popcorn
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
If you are trying to break hitting the second ball you have to draw the cue ball away from the rack. When the cue ball hits the rack it will bounce a little and if it immediately hits another ball when it is a little air born it's going off the table.

poolturtle
02-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm quoting Stretch from a post from last week about breaks...

[ QUOTE ]
For my money though it's the head on break. You get great transfer of energy into the pack and good cueball control. I place the cueball on the headstring i diamond approx. from the side rail and line up the head ball with the ball in behind the 8 in the forth row. If the rest of the pack was not there you would see it as a dead on natural combination long bank. You can adjust the cueball a little left or right at this point to ensure all three balls are on the long bank line. To get a good follow through stroke hit the break shot like your hitting the ball in the forth row instead. This set up and delivery DESTROYS racks and gives you control of the cue ball. The same settup can be used in 9 ball as well. Your going to make lots of nineballs on the break with this. St. <hr /></blockquote>

I tried it that night and it works great for me too. I still haven't had much time to play around with speeds and spin yet. I was just shooting around with some friends. But I broke 6 times, sunk at least one ball on all but 2, scratched twice(I didn't get a full ball hit. I hit it too thin and had put draw on it. pulled it back to the side pocket. The second time it got kicked into a corner.)

Rod
02-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I take it your playing 8 ball? I know many break from the side. I suspect it's in hope of making the 8 otherwise there is no reason to aim for the second ball. Having said that, why put the c/b so close to the rail? Move it out a little and give yourself more area for a more level cue.

If you hit the second ball flush with draw it won't scratch, plus you can increase speed a little. Don't get carried away though. You want to be accurate and near a rail isn't the answer.

All that said, I hit the head ball flush, no need for draw, english etc. If racked well they spread well and I am looking for a run out. I guess leagues promote 8 ball breaks but if I recall BCA it spots back up, so what's the point?

Rod

Elz
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I take it your playing 8 ball? I know many break from the side. I suspect it's in hope of making the 8 otherwise there is no reason to aim for the second ball. Having said that, why put the c/b so close to the rail? Move it out a little and give yourself more area for a more level cue.

If you hit the second ball flush with draw it won't scratch, plus you can increase speed a little. Don't get carried away though. You want to be accurate and near a rail isn't the answer.

All that said, I hit the head ball flush, no need for draw, english etc. If racked well they spread well and I am looking for a run out. I guess leagues promote 8 ball breaks but if I recall BCA it spots back up, so what's the point?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

You're right.
I'm realy just looking at improving my chances of pocketing on break. I'm looking for the best results/break to practice on.
I've been playing on off for 10 years and breaking straight on. I recently got myself a table and been trying to breach my "roof"
But by the looks of it, players seem to prefer head on breaks.

mworkman
02-10-2005, 06:50 PM
I believe the 2nd ball break will give you the best chance to make a ball. I've spent a lot of time practicing the break this year. I went back to the 2nd ball break because it gives me the best results. I shoot with low and don't add any side english. Good luck

DebraLiStarr
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Elz
David Sapolis has written a lot of articles on that type of break. Your best bet would be to visit his web site (sorry I can't remember the web addy). He also posts in this forum and Azbilliards. Easy Pool Tutor also has some articles on the break.