PDA

View Full Version : I need Brunswick help.

James B
05-30-2002, 04:03 AM
I will not see this table until the day of the estate auction. Any info will be appreciated. 92" Brunswick pool table-labeled "Brunswick-Black-Collander Co." No other info given. Thanks. Jim B

Ken
05-30-2002, 07:35 AM
It's Brunswick-Balke-Collender. That is not much to go on. A table with a 92" playing surface (nose to nose) would be what is known as an oversize 8 foot table. BBC made a lot of 8 foot tables (don't know if they were 92") but there isn't a lot of demand for them today. There are many manufacturers of modern tables for that size since it is popular for rooms that are not large enough for a 9 foot. A serious player would want a larger table but many homes can't accommodate one.

Condition is very imortant to determine if there is much antique value. A table that has been in a poolroom for many years will have had many recoverings with much wood chipped out where the cloth attaches. You can't see that when the table is asembled. Look for signs of wear from people scuffing the legs and if there is a ball return look for uneven wear on the ballbox from resting the rack on the right side.

Only the more ornately decorated tables have much value. There would be inlays and unusual leg design on a more desirable antique table. If you crawl under with a flashlight you may find serial numbers stamped on some of the parts. These numbers should all match although some will be covered and not visible. If it is a plain table with no serial numbers it should sell cheap in the low hundreds and you need to want to play on it, not resell it at a profit.

A good place to see different style tables is: http://rebcobilliards.com/table_styles.htm
If you go to Blatt you will see that they don't even show the plain tables: http://www.blattbilliards.com/AntiqueTables.htm
KenCT

James B
05-30-2002, 09:51 AM
This is from a private home, estate auction. I'm waiting for a reply from the auctioneer for more info, if he has any.