PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314 VS. New Z

wuyeah
02-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, seems like this question will be limited to Predator lovers. Well, i am thinking about getting a second cue, and super curious to find out the big name predator shafts. (none of my friend owns it, none of strainger in pool hall will let me try it). On ebay there is a cheap price for 3K7!! and with 20 dollar more people can choose the new Z. Have anyone play with new Z?? i never see people at pool place use one of those.

DavidMorris
02-11-2005, 08:20 PM
The Z shaft is a Euro taper. If you're used to pro taper shafts, and especially if you use a closed bridge, you probably won't like it.

buddha162
02-12-2005, 06:37 AM
I think you'll be happier with the 314.

Also, I think JOSS/pred combo hits alot better than any full predator cue, and could end up being cheaper too. Joss makes a better cue, hands down. imho of course.

-Roger (sound like a broken record, i know)

iusedtoberich
02-12-2005, 07:55 AM
I have been using a 314 for about 6 or so years. In the middle of last year, I swithced to a Z shaft. It definitely deflects less than the 314. If that is your main reason for trying the Predator brand, you might as well go with their best deflection reducing shaft.

As far as taper, the Z is definitely more European. BUT, it does not affect MY stroke at all, when using a closed or open bridge.

My game and stroke relies on tons of english. I really like to move the cue ball with soft to medium speeds and spin it off the rail. Especially with inside follow shots and my tip on the edge of the cue ball. The Z, with its smaller diameter and lower deflection is preferable for MY type of game.

I also just got a McDermott I-3 shaft last week and I'm giving it a workout. After a few hours of play, it seems to play almost identically to the Z. However, its taper is even stronger than the Z's (meaning almost completely straight, while the Z has a slight curve).

HERE (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=6256&page=1&pp=15) is a thread on AZ from a while back. I made the last post on it, where I measured the diameters of all of the Predator products and graphed them.

tateuts
02-12-2005, 10:02 AM
I never went back to that A-Z thread to see the chart. It looks interesting. My Predator 314 is 12.5mm at the ferrule and tapers out pretty good so the Z might not be a huge difference.

I will probably try the z at some point - but I think it's shortsighted of Predator to only offer it in uniloc and not sell the blanks for customs - I wonder what's up with that? It's also too expensive. It's as if they don't really want to sell them.

Chris