PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a cue

Paul_Mon
05-30-2002, 04:32 AM
My 18 year old nephew graduates high school next month and hinted that he would like a cue. What are my choices in the $100 range? TIA..............Paul

05-30-2002, 06:17 AM
You might be able to find one on Ebay in that range. About May 10th I purchased a Lucasi L-2008 which sells at The Billiard Warehouse for $290. http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/lucasi/lucasi_pg3.htm
I paid about $120 plus $15 for shipping, handling, & insurance.

You can probably get one of the Lucasi models that sells from about $270 to about $350 for around $110 to $150. Almost everyone charges $15 extra for shipping, & insurance. And the models that sell from around $350 to $650 have been going for about $160 to about $270. Some of these prices have been a little higher since I purchased mine. And a lot of the Lucasi models have been selling. These are brand new cues and the sames ones you would purchase in a store or from an internet store.

There is one exception. He sells them without the Lucasi name on it. They supposedly contain only minor cosmetic flaws that supposedly don't affect the performance. But I wasn't interested in these. They were selling for about $50 to about $110. And this seller had over 6000 positive feedbacks on Ebay. And I think he had only about 50 negative feedbacks. Let me see if I can find his name. His auctions have a sort of brick like backround and some of the printing is hard to read. I kept away from this seller but that doesn't mean others have to. Here is that seller with the blemished sticks. I might check with Lucasi about these. Later I might even purchase one of thes sticks to have an extra shaft for about $50. Seller (Rating) donalda@cdh.net (6062)

If you are interested in these you can go to Ebay. Go to "sporting goods", then "billiards" and then cues. If you want you can put these on a watch list and see how the pricing goes. Often a price will shoot up about $25 in the last minute. But sometimes it doesn't go up at all.

I think my Lucasi plays pretty good. I like the uni loc joint. It pushes down and then a quick turn and it is ready to play. I've been away from pool for about 20 years. But I really don't know much about sticks. You can do a search on this board for Lucasi. There was a thread with about 20 messages. I don't remember reading anything bad about them.

05-30-2002, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Paul_Mon:</font><hr> My 18 year old cousin graduates high school next month and hinted that he would like a cue. What are my choices in the $100 range? TIA..............Paul <hr></blockquote>

Hey, Paul,

I agree with the eBay choice - I've picked up a Schuler, an Espiritu and a Pechauer for very good deals on eBay (all used). I have seen many Joss sticks (new) on eBay for around $100, which would be a great first stick and possibly my first choice.

If you were willing to go up to $150 or so, then as you know any number of custom guys will sell you a very nice Sneaky Pete. Or, you could just get him one of those exploding Meuccis (inside joke).

Regards,

Gideon

05-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi Paul,
The Lucasi is a really nice looking cue at a very good price. Joss is also a very good name in cues. I've played with the Joss's and found them very satisfactory, and a guy down at my room has a Lucasi that he loves ( though he does want a Predator shaft for it). Just thought I'd throw my $.02 in there. I'm a Predator girl at heart, but you'll NEVER EVER find one in your price range. Good Luck, and may I say what a great cousin you must be to purchase such a gift?

05-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Hello ,i am an avid poolplayer for the past fifteen years and have played with alot of cues and as of now i dabble here and there in used custom cues ... I feel that Lucasi is a good choice but he is still young and if left out or in the car over night it will surely be warped and probably not help his game but the Cuetech brand is graphite cored wood which is guaranteed for life against warpage and plays not to bad and these too you can find on e-bay or youre local hall for a fair price... Just thinkin....
Q-BALL

Kato
05-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Guess I should call Cuetec then. I've got a break/jump that is warped and was so less than one year after purchase.

Kato~~~you are right about the hit though. Before I put the phenolic tip on it pocketed balls quite well.

05-30-2002, 01:12 PM
There are about 10 of the Cuetec graphite cues offered today with a starting bid of $50. I don't know anything about graphite cues. I just looked again. You can buy them now for $70 plus shipping &amp; insurance. Here's a link.
<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1833114637>http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1833114637</a>

05-30-2002, 01:16 PM
I have two old Brunswick two piece cues that I bought used when I first started playing in 65. They are laying around by my dad's house up high in a closet or under a bed. Last time I looked I don't think they ever warped. They aren't in a case of anything.

bigalerickson
05-30-2002, 01:18 PM
I picked up a lucasi sneaky pete a few weeks ago for 85 bucks, and am quite pleased with (off of ebay).

Paul_Mon
05-31-2002, 04:34 AM
I've decided to go with a cue from the Billiard Warehouse model BW-3, see link below. I don't really know if my nephew (not cousin) wants a conventional looking cue or one of those Warrior Princess cues. The service rep at BW will exchange the cue if he wants something different.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/special.htm

Paul

05-31-2002, 06:43 PM
Greg (who owns Billiard warehouse) comes to my room every once in a while. He's a great guy, very concientious, loads of integrity. I'd recommend buying at his place to anyone!