PDA

View Full Version : dirty pool to me,what they do to throw you off !

justbrake
02-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I would just like to see what other players do to try to upset you during a match , something like chalking loudley while your down on your shot, racking the balls loosely,etc. I'm not talking about safetys just some bullshit nonsence to throw you off and how do you in return pay them the favor back!

I think that they are cowards not to face reality( a lost) and are desperate to do anything to stop a lost.

BEHEAD THEM ALL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I feel they are screeming for help from the pool gods /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mksmith713
02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
They do all of the above.
From the incessant mumbling bitching and complaining to loose racks to back handed comments.

I plan on getting a "T" shirt to wear under my regular shirt.
On the front it will says,"STFU and play" and on the back it will say,"Bitch".
When I run into a player like that, I'll just peel off my shirt..........LOL

Billy_Bob
02-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Use your judgement on the following. There is a *big* difference between someone playing/having fun and someone who is intentionally trying to disrupt your game so they can win.

Sharking...

Anger (Making your opponent angry)
*Wrongly accusing your opponent of cheating; accusations of improper lag, improper coin-flip, improper shot, etc.
*Accusing your opponent of something they did not do or did not intend to do.

Concentration (Disrupting your opponent's concentration)
*Doing anything vocal or making noise while your opponent shoots, is approaching the table to shoot, is studying the table for next shot, or is racking balls for next game. This includes talking to other people during the match.
*Any comments or questions about your opponents playing/shooting good or bad.
*Coaching your opponent. Don't coach other players unless they ask for advice. Unsolicited coaching is a shark.
*Criticizing your opponents game.
*Asking opponent why they are aiming at the wrong ball when they are aiming at the correct ball.

Distraction (If what you are doing would distract you while shooting, it probably distracts other players)
*Moving deliberately within the shooter's field of view.
*Standing where opponent needs to be for next shot.
*Waving your hand while your opponent is shooting or about to shoot.
*Standing at the table, especially behind the target pocket.
*Chalking your cue at table when it is your opponents turn to shoot.

Psychological Tactics (Upsetting your opponent or disrupting their confidence)
*Using psychological "tactics" before the match/tournament begins - Negative implications/comments/questions to players you may play in future games.
*Statements, implications, or questions about your opponents missed shots in prior games - Trying to make your opponent think about their poor shooting.
*Statements, implications, or questions about your opponent's losses in prior games - Trying to make your opponent think about the previous game they lost.

Get_A_Grip
02-12-2005, 08:27 PM
This is my first post, so I will relay a little of my background and how it relates to this topic. Quite a few years ago when I was playing in an 8-ball league, I also entered and played in four different tournaments at the local pool hall--and haven't played in another since. I wasn't that good of a player at the time, so I ended-up one place from the money in at least two of the four tournaments. The last two of the four tournaments I played in I was sharked.

The first time was by an advanced player that was well known, and usually finished in the top three. We never spoke a word to each other until I was down to my last four balls to win the match...then all of a sudden he decides to start talking to me while I was shooting (I think it was about something mundane like the weather). I was new to tournaments and inexperienced...so sure enough, that was enough to throw me off...I got out-of-line on a shot...missed...and he won. Later I realized that it was a likely a pure ego thing for him...I was new to the scene, and not that good--he apparently used to be either a Pro or played in some larger tournaments with the Pros, so he would have probably been embarrased to loose to me--so he decided he just had to shark me!

The fourth (last) tournament I played in, the guy was constantly moaning and carrying-on when he made a mistake. I didn't really mind this, because it wasn't directed at me...but when I made a long draw-shot to get shape on the 8-ball to win the match...he got beligerant, stood in front of the pocket--when I got down to shoot the straight shot (with cue on rail), he started unscrewing his cue. I got up from the shot...he then started walking away...not knowing if he was forefitting or not, I quickly got down...rushed the shot--made it, but slowly followed the cue ball in and scratched. I said, "Oh No!", he turned around being two tables away...and went directly to the TD and took the win.

Yes...now I know that as soon as he unscrewed...I should never shot the last ball and took the win--it was either a forefit or unsportsmanlike conduct.

The more I thought about what these two different guys did, I just didn't want anything to do with tournaments--it was just too discouraging having to deal with people like that.

Since then I have improved quite a bit. Got my own 9' table, practice daily--and come up as a Semi-Pro on the Q-Skills Test. However, I still have not played a tournament since the last one about 10 years ago. I'm now a lot more savvy, so I'm sure I will enter some tournaments sometime soon... I want to enter my next tournament, when I actually have a chance to win it and will have no trouble taking down some of these sharks.... It's just too bad that some egos just can't take a loss...and ruin the tournament experience for others...

GeraldG
02-12-2005, 08:45 PM
If you play enough, you'll eventually see it all. The secret is to learn to deal with it without letting it get under your skin and throw your game off. When someone starts trying to shark me, I know I have them where I want them and they do too. It's a desperation move. You can make it backfire on them.

mksmith713
02-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I've run into the same problems when I play in a weekly tournament with my son.
But it's the women who are the worst.
A sympathize with you my friend.

By the way, what's a Q skills test?
I'm curious how I stack up.

DialUp
02-13-2005, 12:54 AM
I love being sharked. It means my opponent knows my skills are good enough to out play his skills /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It gives me extra confidence to know my opponent needs all the help they can get /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I play with one guy (for fun) who HATES losing and sharks me all the time. He does just about everything you can think of but the most annoying is - he wispers to himself how you are going to screw up or chants "scratch scratch scratch etc" He is always whispering something when I am shooting. It is quite comical...

Get_A_Grip
02-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Actually, I don't mind being sharked by someone who is not as good as me...it's the guys that play at a top-notch level that you just don't expect it from...

I was hoping to actually get to know some of the better players and have some comradery...but I guess for some...winning and placing in the money is their only motive..and are willing to take all steps necessary to win--short of murder...

Billy_Bob
02-13-2005, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Get_A_Grip:</font><hr> ...The more I thought about what these two different guys did, I just didn't want anything to do with tournaments--it was just too discouraging having to deal with people like that...<hr /></blockquote>

That is exactly why I compiled the above list of sharks. I've seen these jerks totally destroy other player's shooting and concentration. And some of these players don't understand why they suddenly can't shoot worth a darn.

The first step is to understand what they are doing or attempting to do. Some of these people are quite clever.

Next recognize when you are being sharked. Some of these people will devote every second of their time at a tournament to sharking other players. They will shark players "ahead of time" who they expect to meet in the final matches of the tournament. They will do this by trying to make other players think negative thoughts about their playing/shooting.

There is the negative implication cloaked in what seems to be a positive comment... "*You're* still winning?" or pre-tournament play... "*You* still have the table?"

These statements imply that you are not good enough to be winning so much. Beware of statements/questions with the word "you" in them. It works like hypnosis when someone says a statement/question with the word "you" in it. They are programming your brain. You are this way, you are that way. Are you really that good? Etc.

Nice people only say positive statements with the word "you" in them. "You have really improved your game, I'm glad to see you are doing so well." People who say positive statements like this are your friends. Hang around them.

People who say negative things are the enemy. They want others to fail. When they say something negative to me, I just look them in the eyes with a nasty look and don't say a word. Or I walk away. Or I will say "Are you sharking me?" This shuts them up.

When other players are distracting me with their comments while I am playing a match during a tournament, I will say "No sharking please!". That shuts them up.

Study those who shark. Listen to what they say to other players *before* a match. Is it negative or positive?

And when someone implys that I am not a good enough player to be winning so much, I say to myself that their implication is not true. They don't know what they are talking about. Then I think about my recent successes. Then when I play them, sometimes I beat them. Hummmm... Maybe that is why they feel a need to shark me? Take it as a compliment. They actually feel you are an excellent player and a threat.

You are an excellent player!

I am an excellent player!

I think I can, I know I can...

Mental Toughness...
http://www.bharatiyahockey.org/gurukul/class12.htm

sack316
02-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I've seen about all that was mentioned on here. I think I deal with most all of it pretty well, but what I can't stand is someone who always wants to stand right on the table while you are shooting. That is one of my pet peeves. If it bothers me enough I'll usually try to nicely ask them not to do that. In some cases they want to be a smart-ass, so if it gets me good enough I've been known to pop a ball or two off the table in their direction. Probably bad to do I know, but it helps me out!

Rod
02-13-2005, 10:55 PM
I think you guys let to much bother you. Not saying it's always right but learn to get past the petty stuff.

Rod

GeraldG
02-14-2005, 12:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I think you guys let to much bother you. Not saying it's always right but learn to get past the petty stuff.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, you have to if you want to win. Sometimes it's not so petty, though....sometimes it's really flagrant and obnoxious....and distracting (the whole point). However, if you can learn to just completely disregard it and not let it get into your head, it will backfire on them. Sometimes they can end up actually sharking themselves. Sharking is a desparation move...it's something that they do when it's clear to them that you're a threat and their game might not be enough...keep that in mind when they try it. You can even just ask them the question: "What's wrong, your game not tight enough? You think you need to try to shark me to win?"

hondo
02-14-2005, 06:09 AM
I hate it when they are obviously good and keep
going on about how lucky they are or when they
are beating the crap out of me &amp; keep whining
about how bad they are shooting.

MrLucky
02-14-2005, 07:04 AM
These tactics and these types of players are as old as the game is ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif To be a good player you must have good concentration skills ! use these jerks as a training tool instead of letting them get to you! If you can't block them out and play your game now what if you ever get good enough to play the big tournaments where there are people in the audience talking ? cameras and bright flashes potentially going off? or just the added pressure of a big name player that you are up against? The ability to block out theses things are the key to consistant winning and a better playing game! JMO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
02-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Exactly, You have to expect the unexpected, then blow it off. I'm not saying some of it isn't very real but deal with it and move on. People even complain about small things, someone moved there foot or shifted in their chair. Your opponent set his chalk down or walked to the table. Just tell them don't walk to the table when your shooting. It's a rule so enforce it if necessary.

By all means if something distracted you re-group. Stand up and start your preshot routine again. It's your fault if you don't and miss. The name of the game is concentration, you should be so focused you don't even notice small distractions. Some things I mentioned should go un-noticed.

Make it a habbit and your concentration will improve. In the early years as an example, Tiger Woods had all sorts of distractions pulled on him by his father. He knew he had to toughen up his young son and improve focus. It worked!

Rod

Toddo26
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM
I traveled to my first tournament in years Saturday. Thanks to reading this forum, I was able to identify lots of sharking that I would've overlooked before. I was able to deal with it and keep my concentration. I placed very well in a difficult tournament. I didn't make many friends, because I kept my head down and shot and didn't listen to all the B.S. they were talking. One guy really got mad because I would'nt respond to his rude comments. I think identifying that you are being sharked is the key to get through it. This forum is already showing me great benefits. Thanks, Todd

Billy_Bob
02-14-2005, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Toddo26:</font><hr> I traveled to my first tournament in years Saturday. Thanks to reading this forum, I was able to identify lots of sharking that I would've overlooked before. I was able to deal with it and keep my concentration. I placed very well in a difficult tournament. I didn't make many friends, because I kept my head down and shot and didn't listen to all the B.S. they were talking. One guy really got mad because I would'nt respond to his rude comments. I think identifying that you are being sharked is the key to get through it. This forum is already showing me great benefits. Thanks, Todd <hr /></blockquote>

That's fantastic! Good work!

You are an excellent player...

SpiderMan
02-14-2005, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I hate it when they are obviously good and keep
going on about how lucky they are or when they
are beating the crap out of me &amp; keep whining
about how bad they are shooting. <hr /></blockquote>

It's possible that some of those guys are genuinely trying to be nice. Sometimes it's harder to be a gracious winner than loser. I more often find myself at a loss for words to go with the handshake when I've won than when I've lost. You don't want to discourage anyone about their play, they already feel badly enough to have lost.

Friday night I drew a guy in the second round whose tip I had just replaced, returning the cue to him before the tournment. I won the toss and ran out the match without letting him shoot. I don't normally do that, but this time it happened when I was playing a good customer. I didn't know what to say, so I just told him that I didn't want him to miss a ball and blame my work /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whenever someone like that beats me, it's easy to congratulate them. I will go out of my way to mention something that they did particularly well in their games. Although it's more awkward if they lose, I try to do the same thing in that case also.

SpiderMan

daviddjmp
02-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I guess our leagues must be the exception. I play in two a week (BCA 8-Ball) and aside from a few bad losers, none of this stuff takes place at all. People consciously move out of your line of aim, never talk to you when you are shooting, usually congratulate you on a nice shot, and are very sportsmanlike competitors, both the men and women-

MrLucky
02-14-2005, 12:13 PM
In my league pool APA I find it the same experience as yours but this varies depending on how the league is run! now in bar pool and bar tournaments ! Well it seems anything goes and you can and will meet all kinds of players from the nicest ones to some that should have been smothered with theit umbilical cords! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

daviddjmp
02-14-2005, 12:29 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Most of the negative stories I hear take place in bar leagues where, as you say, anything goes, and having a thick skin really helps. Also, the rules vary from bar to bar, so mild sharking in some of them may actually be allowed as part of the "fun".

dandydan
02-14-2005, 12:43 PM

mksmith713
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
What really stinks is that I'm naturally a friendly outgoing person.
When I have to play with people who try sharking me, I totally zone them out, not speaking or even acknowledging anyone or anything.
I just concentrate on my game.
The only problem with that is that there are people who could be friends who view me as standoffish.
I have managed to show my friendly side away from the matches and have made a few friends, regardless.

cheese_ball
02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Sharking can be a distraction, but then again, pool is not golf. Get used to playing with a lot of noise in the background, people standing around, watching, whispering, yelling, whatever it may be. At one of our local tourneys, it gets so bad that they let me wear headphones!

The worst, though, is when it's coming from your opponent. I have one way of dealing with this that works wonders. Silence. You got it, be absolutely quiet! Don't make a sound, don't even acknowlege your opponent if they are pulling crap like that. This really starts to mess with peoples' heads. It's bad enough that they are trying to unfairly take advantage of you, but if you ignore them, and concentrate to win even harder, it shuts them up... permanently.

If you start to get really frustrated, try something like this: Walk away from the table for 1 min. Sit in a seat, have a smoke, drink a soda, whatever. Get back up, stretch out your arms, yawn really loudly, and GRIN!!! I'm not talking a small smile, grin ear to freakin' ear.

This will piss off anyone that's trying to shark you pretty badly. If your opponent is that much of a no-talent cry baby that they resort to this kind of childish behavior, they will also be deeply hurt by the fact that it's not working.

GeraldG
02-14-2005, 05:19 PM
That's exactly right.

Rod
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Good for you Todd. You know when people realize your not into their BS and stay focused it starts changing. Players will respect you and your game and little BS stuff for the most part will end. Not only that but it will greatly improve your concentration. Once they realize your not effected it has more effect on them not you as you found out.

If someone stands up in front of me, I tell them to sit down. If someone talks, I just say I'm shooting now, you can talk all you want when you shoot. Rarely do I ever have a problem with someone because they respect me and my game. Like I said before, make sure you start your pre-shot routine again. If you don't it's your fault but this in itself tends to frustrate the opponent because they have to wait. Believe me, I know people and waiting is something they don't handle well. That's especially true if there tactic didn't work.

As time goes along this stuff will seem like old hat or childs play, you won't even think about it. Train your mind and it will take care of you.

Rod

GeraldG
02-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I arrived late for a 9-ball tournament once and did not have time to practice or warm up. I had to call the TD and tell him to sign me up becasue I knew I was going to be late. My opponent in the first match was an obnoxious, abrasive SOB. It was a straight-up race to 7 on the A side, race to 5 on the B side format (double elimination).

It takes me a few shots to get warmed up and shake off the nerves, so I started at a disadvantage. Anyway, in the first rack, I missed a couple of easy shots. I think I only pocketed one ball in that rack and then hooked myself and gave up ball-in-hand. My opponent won that rack. When I finished racking and was walking back to my chair, he said "Why are you even in this tournament? You can't make 2 balls in a row. You gotta be at least a "B" player to have a chance...you aren't even in the alphabet yet." I just ignored him...just like he didn't say anything at all. He broke the next rack and didn't pocket anything, pushed out and left me a shot and I caught a gear and beat him 7 racks in a row. It was one of the few times in my life that I have broken and run more than 2 racks in a race to 7...I had 3 break-and-runs in that race. He was absolutely spitting nails and the madder he got, the worse he played and the better I played. When the match was over, I just walked up to him, shook his hand and said "Any more questions?" I saw him in several tournaments after that and he woudln't even look at me, much less speak to me, then I heard he moved away a couple of years ago.

I think that what he said to me just pissed me off so much, it sort of flipped a switch in my head...it had exactly the opposite effect that he was looking for. All I was living for during that few minutes was to drill him as badly as I could.

houseman
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
When I use to play serious pool, and my opponent started his sharking stuff I would just go sit down and wait quietly in my chair until they stopped or complained to the T.D. about me. Then the T.D found out about the sharking.
It hurts the pocket when they get still get beat, and have to pay the extra table time until they stop the B.S.