PDA

View Full Version : Thornfeldt escapes Black Widow's web

PQQLK9
02-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Thornfeldt escapes Black Widow's web

By Jeff Gluck, Rocky Mount Telegram

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Six of the world's top 10 pool players advanced to the Saturday night rounds of the Carolina Women's Billiard Classic at Nash Community College.

Among the big names were Allison Fisher, Karen Corr and Jeanette Lee, who all remained alive in the tournament with two rounds remaining Saturday night.

Due to deadlines, the evening matches were not completed in time for this edition. Full results can be found at www.wpba.com. (http://www.wpba.com.)

In early action Saturday, crowd favorite Lee was sent to the loser's bracket after sixth-ranked Helena Thornfeldt beat Lee 9-6. Thornfeldt beat the No. 3-ranked Lee by using a veteran approach to stay focused.

"We've had a long break (since last season ended), so I was a little bit jittery, a little bit nervous at times," Thornfeldt said. "Jeanette is going to be the favorite most of the time, but that doesn't bother me. If you're comfortable and confident, you'll be fine.

"(The partisan crowd) is just one of those things as a professional that you have to deal with."

In the winner's bracket, Fisher was set to play No. 5 Monica Webb at press time, and second-ranked Corr was facing Thornfeldt.

The loser's bracket had Lee against Tiffany Nelson, and unheralded North Carolina resident Kelly Fisher was matched up versus No. 8 Ga Young Kim, the 2004 world champion.

Fisher, a snooker champion in England, is beginning her first full season on the WPBA tour. Fisher defeated such players as No. 4 Julie Kelly and WPBA president and ESPN commentator Ewa Laurence earlier in the tournament.

Fisher eventually lost to Webb Saturday afternoon to enter the loser's bracket, but she defeated Sarah Ellerby 9-4 to stay alive.

Later Saturday, the field was to be narrowed to four players in time for today's semifinals and finals, which will be taped for a later air date on ESPN and ESPN2.

Today's event will begin at 1 p.m., although the doors will open at noon. The tournament is expected to wrap up around 7 p.m.

Jeff Gluck can be reached at 407-9951 or jgluck@coxnews.com

LARRY_BOY
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
That's a headline you will never here a man claim "I excaped the Black Widow's web".