PDA

View Full Version : advice on tables

bnimble
02-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Hi, I know this question has been asked a thousand times but after reviewing the archives it's hard to tell who is giving an objective opinion. I am looking a a table for my home. I play competitive 9-ball. I want a table that i can practice on and not lose too much in the transition to tournament tables. I have been to brunswick, Schmidt and Olhausen dealers and all three claim to be the best. One thing they did have in common is they all referred to connelly as "copy-lly", they said connelly is known throughout the industry as just copying everybody elses idea and they cut corners. I have looked at the Olhausen Remington and found it to be a solid table. they have the new cushions and I got true action off the rails. I am looking for a 9' 3 piece slate with minimum 1" slate ....I am only interested in playablility not artistic woodwork. Arond 3 to 4 thousand bucks. Thanks for any help

frankbullett
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I have had both Brunswick and Olhausen tables. I am sure there are many owners of both that have had positive experiences. However, it sounds like this is not just a family rec. table. My experience with my 9 foot Olhausen was terrible. It had oversized pockets that could not be fixed, and was not to BCA specs., to name a couple. I was told, by the Olhausen installer no less, there was a problem with compatability regarding the rail pin assembly system Olhausen uses and the open style pockets. I returned it and bought a Brunswick and found it to be exactly what was advertised. I was drawn to Olhausen due to the difference in prices, a big mistake in this case. I haven't had experiences purchasing the other two tables. Whatever you get, I would have the BCA manual out and measure everything after its set up before you pay. One side note I found amazing. The Brunswick installer had been a mechanic for 16 years and said he had only had 5-6 people in that time want to verify that the table was BCA compliant.

Gayle in MD
02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Have you looked at the Diamond Pro (tournament) with pro cut pockets? I don't know what your time frame is, but when they supply tables for tournaments, they auction them off afterwards.

You should check out the Diamonds, if you haven't already. Also, it is made in America. Quality table, nice folks to deal with.

Gayle In MD.

FastJoey
02-14-2005, 06:37 PM
i just purchased a nine foot olhausen Augusta..comes standard with accu-fast cushions and i paid extra for 860 cloth..my game is 14-1.i am totally satisfied with the table..if you will be really into 9 ball..what tables will you be playing your most competition on 7 foot or 9 foot..it is something to thing about about.good luck