PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking on Friday

Deeman2
02-14-2005, 12:14 PM
I am out of the ready to kill anything that moves and into the wondering what to do with my hands phase. I sincerely hope I can make the self-rightous phase in a few weeks. Tori has quit the week before. We have not yet hit each other with anything other than a pillow...

Deeman
my office still smells bad....

eg8r
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Good luck.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
You realize, now that you've made it public, you can't go back /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

good luck

Deeman2
02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You realize, now that you've made it public, you can't go back /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

good luck <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Thanks,

Yes, I know. No one at work has noticed today so I decided I needed to tell someone to keep up the pressure.

Deeman </font color>

Chopstick
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Way to go.

Free DeeMan

Barbara
02-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Deeman,

Are you using any kind of aid or just cold turkey?

I used the Nicotrol Inhaler and it helped a lot with the "hands phase". Plus, it was kind of neat to be able to "smoke" inside and not have tog o outside anymore.

Congrats!! Hope you and Tori make it permanent!

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
02-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard that you need to inform as many people as you can when you make a decision to change a serious habit such as this, suppose to build resolve and also support from others I suppose...sid~~~may be right behind you and Tori very, very soon

PQQLK9
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Good for you Deeman (and Tori).
Keep those taste buds under control because everything will taste better.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif good taste = eat more = weigh more.

Deeman2
02-14-2005, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Deeman,

Are you using any kind of aid or just cold turkey? <font color="blue"> Cold Turkey, I just think it avoids the need to kick something else later...but I know it would probably make my hands more steady... </font color>

I used the Nicotrol Inhaler and it helped a lot with the "hands phase". Plus, it was kind of neat to be able to "smoke" inside and not have tog o outside anymore. <font color="blue"> I may try this if it get's unbearable... </font color>

Congrats!! Hope you and Tori make it permanent!

<font color="blue">Thanks, everyone for your support...

Deeman </font color>

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

dg-in-centralpa
02-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Good Luck my friend! It won't be easy, but your body will thank you for quitting.

DG - doesn't smoke other than a cigar once a year

loofnicnad
02-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Congratulations!!!!!
My thoughts are with you.
I have tried several times and I know that one day I will do it!

ras314
02-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Deeman,

Good luck. For me the only thing that worked was to decide to see if I could live without it. Thats after 40 years or so of smoking. Been a year now and had suprisingly little trouble. Well, first few days were a little rough. Kinda helps to think of all that tax money you aren't sending the state.

Still got the habit of reaching for a pack and still get a little twinge of panic sometimes until I remember I don't smoke anymore.

SPetty
02-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Wait'll you have that dream where you're smoking again... Talk about panic!

Deeman &amp; Tori: Good luck. You can do it. After you don't smoke for six weeks, you become non-smokers and never have to smoke again!

landshark77
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Good luck and stick with it. I have tried to quit before, and I KNOW that it is hard feat. I hope you suceed.

PQQLK9
02-14-2005, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Wait'll you have that dream where you're smoking again... Talk about panic! <hr /></blockquote>
I know those dreams !!! have not had them in a few years.
Smoke free for 25 years now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cueball1950
02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Deeman...having just quit myself last year i always tell people to just take it 1 minute, hour and day at a time. i found the hardest cigarette to give up was that first 1 in the morning. if you can get past that 1 then you have it made. just be careful of the weight sneaking up on you. i realized i was gaining after i had already put on another 50 lbs. something about the food tasting better i think. anyway....good luck and keep fighting..............mike

SpiderMan
02-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Cold turkey is the only way to go. You have to plan ahead for your "quit day", don't be spontaneous. It helps to attach an air of great importance to the event, as you are doing. And don't cheat - remember, you're only "a puff away from a pack a day".

I've never smoked, but I watched my father try to quit many times. Finally he succeeded, because we made a deal that he wouldn't retire until he quit and stayed off the cigs. That was about 15 years ago.

SpiderMan

Barbara
02-15-2005, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Wait'll you have that dream where you're smoking again... Talk about panic!
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah no kidding!!! I've had that dream about 5 times!

Barbara

Deeman2
02-15-2005, 08:52 AM
We survived Tori's bar league match last night with a room full of smoke. I'm feeling better. I gave up competitive drinking 11 years ago and I have to say this is a tad easier, so far.....

Deeman

DickLeonard
02-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Deeman you'll have to move to NY its smoke free. I posted my Chant that I used 36 years ago "Smoke,Choke,Croak" and quit and never ever wanted another smoke.

I was only sorry I couldn't change my families habit. Two brothers and a sister died from smoking. They would always say you have to die from something. So far I have outlived them by 17 years,10 years,and 5 years.####

Barbara
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> We survived Tori's bar league match last night with a room full of smoke. <hr /></blockquote>

This kills me. I'm back with my bar league after a two year hiatus because I couldn't take the smoky bars. It's just as bad with the APA. I just can't take the smell of the smoke anymore.

Today I have a really bad sore throat and after I called out sick I called my captain to say I won't be out tonight to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

SpiderMan
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I gave up competitive drinking 11 years ago ...
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Still, I'm in awe of your amateur prowess /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SPetty
02-15-2005, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> We survived Tori's bar league match last night with a room full of smoke. <hr /></blockquote>This kills me. I just can't take the smell of the smoke anymore.<hr /></blockquote>I often comment after league night that I really need to quit smoking... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My sister accompanied me to a little tournament on Saturday, and couldn't believe how nasty she smelled after less than five hours in a place that really wasn't as bad as usual, due to its high ceilings.

Deeman2
02-16-2005, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> We survived Tori's bar league match last night with a room full of smoke. <hr /></blockquote>This kills me. I just can't take the smell of the smoke anymore.<hr /></blockquote>I often comment after league night that I really need to quit smoking... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My sister accompanied me to a little tournament on Saturday, and couldn't believe how nasty she smelled after less than five hours in a place that really wasn't as bad as usual, due to its high ceilings. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> The most frightening thing about this is the smells I can't get rid of. My vehicle still reeks (never noticed before) and the absence of smoking has apparently made me very sensitive to every smell around. My opponent in the semi-finals last night had B.O. I told a friend about it and he said, Yeah, _______ always smells bad. I'd played the guy for months and never noticed.

Maybe I will make to the self rightous stage after all... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font color>

Deeman
didn't sniff the nine...did a split to leave early

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey Deeman,

Ya know, i was kind of waiting for something like this. I just cam home from playing poker and realized just how much i was smoking. That is just not good for me. I have a major pool tourney tomorrow but i am gonna lay down the pack. And i normally smoke like a chimney when playing. maybe this thread will be contagious and others will quit too.

So as of 12:40am 2/18/05 ryushen21 no longer smokes. any CCBers who witness otherwise are to make ryushen21 buy them a drink if they see him smoking.

best of luck to ya Deeman. and me to.

Barbara
02-18-2005, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> So as of 12:40am 2/18/05 ryushen21 no longer smokes. any CCBers who witness otherwise are to make ryushen21 buy them a drink if they see him smoking.
<hr /></blockquote>

I've always wanted to try Louis XIII cognac. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif See you at the Expo, ryushen21!

Barbara~~~believes they have it at Chumley's...

Deeman2
02-18-2005, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Hey Deeman,

Ya know, i was kind of waiting for something like this. I just cam home from playing poker and realized just how much i was smoking. That is just not good for me. I have a major pool tourney tomorrow but i am gonna lay down the pack. And i normally smoke like a chimney when playing. maybe this thread will be contagious and others will quit too.

So as of 12:40am 2/18/05 ryushen21 no longer smokes. any CCBers who witness otherwise are to make ryushen21 buy them a drink if they see him smoking.

best of luck to ya Deeman. and me to. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Thanks, and good luck to you too. I'm on day six. I played a touornament and was afraid it might impact my game. To my surprise, even though I wanted one several times, I didn't have any effects show up in my game.

It's getting easier every day, the nights are still rough....

It's funny, as we used to play races to nine in most tournaments, I never got into the habit of smoking at the table. I always, even before self rightous, felt it was crude to bend over a table or even rack balls with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. I see that a lot in bars and now wish I'd said something before quiting as everyone will think this is a new attitude for me! People have every right to smoke but letting ashes drop on a table or having to have a puff between shots is just silly.</font color>

Deeman
if you do nothing else, this will change your life...

DickLeonard
02-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Barbara a fellow I delivered LIQUOR to had me go to his house to give him my estimate on his pool table. When we got to his front door there was 5 locks and he said to me I don't want you to mention what your going to see in here. He opened the door and there was a living room of Louis 14th.. He had this exotic table of marquetry but he used the slate for his sidewalk and he was missing the two short rails. It was certainly a rare old house and posessions.####

ryushen21
02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
that's one hell of a drink. i better make sure that i bring lots of extra cash. or no cigarettes. i think i prefer the second option. see ya at the expo.

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> So as of 12:40am 2/18/05 ryushen21 no longer smokes. any CCBers who witness otherwise are to make ryushen21 buy them a drink if they see him smoking.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hmm ... I only see you at PettyPoint, and there you'd be able to pour my drink out of my own bottle, and one for yourself too /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan