PDA

View Full Version : Anabolic Steriods and the Pool Player

rackmup
05-30-2002, 06:40 AM
With all of the flap going on over at Bud Selig's house (MLB) about 50-85% of his boys using Anabolic Steriods to increase their performance, I wondered..."What would happen if pool players jumped on "Mr. Gold's Juice"?

Signs of steriod abuse in the pool hall include:
<ul type="square"> Increased leanness / muscle definition.
If Buddy Hall walks into your local pool room, weighing 165 and cut up like Arnold...be suspicious.

Increased muscle mass / weight.
If Corey walks into the same room weighing in at Buddy's old weight and stretching out the sleeves of his Polo...be weary.

Increased strength.
If, during the break, others put on Kevlar vests to protect themselves from flying/shattered balls...something's up.

Increased effectiveness of training.
If players NEVER miss and NEVER scratch and NEVER foul...look out.

Improved recovery rate.
If I guy plays for 16 straight hours, then naps in the toilet stall for 20 minutes and returns to play another 16 hours, all the while, as sharp as a tack...be careful.

Euphoria.
If you see Earl Strickland missing balls, fouling, scratching and losing money by the buckets, AND HE'S STILL HAPPY AND SHAKES YOUR HAND AS HE PAYS THE BET...oooh, he's on the sauce.

Increased aggressiveness.
You're watching Keith McCready and as he plays, he talks non-stop, is arrogant, cocky and generally irritating...not to worry...he's not on the juice. That's just Keith.

Increased sex drive.
You need steriods for this?
[/list]

Just some random thoughts as I mull over this morning's coffee.

Regards,

Ken

Doctor_D
05-30-2002, 06:42 AM
Good morning:

Question; do you ever have thoughts, as if "I" really need to ask this question, that are NOT random?

Dr. D.

rackmup
05-30-2002, 07:14 AM
Only when I think of you. Those thoughts are not "random" but rather, clear "recollections" of those summer evenings, when we would play 3-ball on the veranda, in our bare feet, sipping a nice wine and looking at the New York skyline.

Those were the days, weren't they Diana? What happed to us? Where did we go wrong? Was it me? Was it that one little "bubble" in our relationship (you know...the cabana girl in Belize) or was it your weekly trysts with Joaquin, our gardener?

Whatever it was, I am sorry. Now I trudge through life with a permanent scar on my heart and a heavy weight on my chest.

Random thoughts again? I think not.

Regards,

Ken (so full of bull, my eyes are brown)

Doctor_D
05-30-2002, 07:23 AM
Good morning:

Actually, Pookie, it was those interludes with "Victoria", our Nanny, which altered my life so favorably!

Dr. D.

Kato
05-30-2002, 07:29 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to physically enhance your ability to play pool? Longer stamina, quicker recovery times. Seems like a plan. Many moons ago I knew several persons who used steriods, not long term mind you, to strengthen our...........themselves for softball. It worked quite well as I recall. We weren't as tired at the end of tournaments and other than our restaraunt bills going up nothing bad happened. None of us........er, I mean them have done "the go-go juice" in probably 6 years and no adverse side effects have been suffered. Too bad none of my buddies played pool, could've tested the theory.

Kato

05-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Gee guys, I hate to burst the bubble on this one, but I'm pretty sure that in addition to increasing both cancer and heart attack risks, anabolic steroids, used over a period of time, make it hard to get, um, hard. (Again, sorry ladies, for everything! LOL)

Kato
05-31-2002, 10:19 AM
It's been a while since I've used and I've not had any uhm..........."problems" with the guy downstairs. Matter a fact he's been quite the trooper.

Kato~~~sorry, had to go there.

jjinfla
05-31-2002, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> We in probably 6 years and no adverse side effects have been suffered.
Kato <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, the side effects don't start kicking in until 10 years after use. Jake~~~but who wants to live forever anyway. Or be healthy.

jjinfla
05-31-2002, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Actually, Pookie, it was those interludes with "Victoria", our Nanny, which altered my life so favorably!

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Ah, the plot thickens. A veritable soap opera in the making. But please explain just who had the interlude with the nanny? Jake

05-31-2002, 05:53 PM
Ahh Victoria.....God, she was hot!

Voodoo Daddy
05-31-2002, 06:45 PM
I took 3 cycles of anabolic steroids in 1981 to give me the edge. I gained 41 pounds in muscle mass and I was growing at a breakneck pace. They make your body feel cheated after your off them and you feel the affects much later like structure and liver problems along with a common problem called "Bitch Tit" {sorry ladies, but thats what its called}. so in closing to take these evil drugs for advancing in a sport is just plain dumb...

Voodoo...wants all involved to do it on the natural, for your own good

05-31-2002, 06:50 PM
Voodoo, I believe the politically correct term is "Man Boobs". Just FYI, LOL
Seriously though, I hope you did not suffer permanent damage for a momentary lapse in judgement, or lack of knowledge, whichever applies. :-)

MikeM
06-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Hey Kato,

I'm startin' to love NY even more!

MM

06-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Actually the medically correct term is "gynecomastia."
JB

Kato
06-03-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey Steve, I've got a buddy who has "man boobs" and trust me when I tell ya he ain't never taken steriods nor lifted a weight heavier than 12 oz.LOL

Seriously though, I wonder if the torn up ligaments and joint wear has something to do with my past transgressions? The wear and tear I put on my body during that time was inhuman and could have caught up with me in that respect. Luckily my pectoral region was never effected in a negative way. I think that comes with much more time and abuse than my few cycles.

It is an interesting topic though exercise on the natural (which I have done for the 14 of 15 years I've lifted weights) will have a much better effect on your pool game. Steriods have a tendency to pump up the muscles to the effect that you are never really loose (I wasn't a player back then). Sure you may look all buffed out for the ladies but heck, if they shoot they'd probably rather watch you make 3 rail kick shots than know how much you bench. More excercise gives you better stamina and allows you to use oxygen better (cigarette anyone?). Steriods can't help in that respect.

Kato~~~has a lot more to say on this subject but won't

Karatemom
06-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Hi Voodoo. You couldn't be more right. I have been on steroids for more than 6 years now and feel worse now than I did before I started them. I've also had a couple of steroid/cortisone shots in the ankle and shoulder and they helped at the time, but the problem has been back since I started shooting again. They are the worst thing anyone could do to their body. Exercise is the only way, and you feel better about it because you worked so hard to get there.

Heide ~ needs to start exercising again!

06-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Heide,
Corticosteroids are a little different than what the guys are talking about. Doctors use them as short term pain relief for patients who are in acute pain, and they are also frequently used as a therapuetic agent for inflammatory diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis. Patients generally love them because they are a "miracle drug" whose side effects are usually invisible. Doctors hate them because they destroy a patients body, and the patient never even feels it coming. Lorri ( RA Victim and twelve year cortico junkie)

Karatemom
06-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Sorry. I knew there was a slight difference, I thought it was in the dosage. RA, that sucks. I've got a whole list of things wrong with me, but the worst is probably fibromyalgia. A lot like RA, but not pain in the joints, in the tissues. I take them for my eyes and looks like I'll be on them for a long, long time. No side effects I'm not so sure about. It knocks down your immune system to next to nothing, especially when you're a whole 98 pounds soaking wet (LOL). It has helped a little bit in the muscle tone, but when you're my size, there's not much to tone, LOL. Thanks for setting me straight.

Heide ~ still needs to exercise more

06-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Heide! No need to apologize, just FYI. I used to be 98 lbs. (Oh, okay, 103) then I started taking prednisone. Just kidding. I know about fibromyalgia, it's almost as bad as RA. You're one up on me with no joint damage. I never noticed the immune system thing, but then again, other than the RA, I'm ridiculously healthy. I need to exercize more too. Who was the guy that paid someone to exercize for him? Can I get a referral?! LOL

06-13-2002, 03:44 AM
An allergist doctor just gave me a prescription for Prednisone 10 mg. I am to take 3 pills each morning for 1 week. And if it helps I am suppose to get it refilled up to 2 times. He said I wouldn't notice any side effects by taking it for such a short time. Does this sound right?

06-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi Eddie,
You didn't say why this Doc was giving you prednisone. If it was an allergist, I have to assume he's treating you for breathing problems, is this right? I have to be honest, I'm not real good with pulmonary functions, but I do know prednisone is used in conjunction with inhalers to treat acute asthma attacks. It is not meant to be a stand alone treatment for asthma.
That said, I do remember a member who was having shoulder problems a while back. That was you, wasn't it? If you are using the prednisone to treat the shoulder problem, there are a few things you should know. First, 30mg. is a pretty good dose. If your Dr. didn't mention it, he should be hung by his testicles (kidding, a little) but coming off of that dosage cold turkey is a very BAD thing. I like to step down by five mg. increments every 4 days. The penalty for quitting cold turkey? Heart attack is not uncommon. Also at that dosage, you may notice your face getting VERY full. This is common at mid to high level dosages (You're at mid). To attenuate this effect you can try taking your full dose at 7am., when your body is releasing a large amount of natural prednisone (Isn't modern science a wonder?) anyway. The extra should be absorbed without much problem.
You may notice an increase in appetite, try not to overdo it. Weight gain from prednisone use is very difficult to lose for some reason. Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, your immune system will be compromised while you are on, and for 6 months to a year after you stop using the drug, so try to avoid people who have serious infections, and make sure you are pre-medicated before any dental procedures.
In addition to the prednisone, which is not really a therapeutic agent, your Dr. should have given you some Range-Of-Motion exercises to do for that shoulder. If he didn't, you can find them at the Arthritis Foundation's website. ROM is very important in problems like RA and Bursitis. Probably just as important as the drugs you take.
While you are on the prednisone, you are going to feel really good. It is CRITICAL that you not overtax yourself, however. Remember, you are not being treated, the prednisone is just masking the pain.
One last note. You did not mention whether or not you were given a diagnosis. If you are being treated for the shoulder problem, and the Dr. gave you 30mg. a day without a diagnosis, that is not what we would think of as sound medicine here in the East. And if he didn't mention anything about tapering off your dosage, well........ Especially since I had gotten the impression that you are in your early fifties (maybe?) that is really critical. Remember, everything gets a bit more crotchety as we age! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
How do I know all this stuff? I teach a physical diagnosis course at a local university hospital. My Dr. has been trying to get me 'on staff' for years, but I'd need a medical degree! LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Good Luck, Eddie, let me know if you need anything else!

06-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Hi Lorri.
I can explaing everything to you. But it is off the pool topic. I can explain in a private message or I can post it here.

06-14-2002, 04:04 PM
maybe then players will start to look marketable and not so anemic. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

06-14-2002, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> ,,, Doctors hate them because they destroy a patients body, and the patient never even feels it coming. Lorri ( RA Victim and twelve year cortico junkie) <hr></blockquote>

L,,,how do you mean?

06-14-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure if the question is directed at the destruction or the junkie part, so here goes. Steroids destroy your body by shutting down your immune system, thus leaving you nearly defenseless against infection. This is why people on steroids (and we're talking about corticosteroids here, I don't know squat about anabolics) are told to get Flu shots every season, or at least should be. They should also be pre-medicated before Dental procedures. The problem is, steroids are so common, and have been around for so long, Doctors often forget these "little" details. Additionally, used over a long period of time, they can affect ALL major organs, inhibiting their ability to function correctly. Prolonged steroid use also causes big time loss of bone density, increasing the risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
As for the "steroid junkie" quip, I am a fifteen year survivor of Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I have been on 3- 10mg. of corticosteroids for twelve of them. Not because my Doctor wanted that, mind you, but because my RA was so severe and resistant to treatment that I needed them just to be able to walk! Thanks to new advances in medicine, I was able to kick the habit about six months ago, and although I can't feel it, I know I'm better off. By the way, that bone density thing is inevitable, I had a baseline study done last year, and it seems I now have the bones of a sixty year old woman, with signifigant loss of bone density. I'm thirty six. Osteoporosis will very likely be in my future. I just hope it doesn't interfere with my pool game too much! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-15-2002, 01:02 PM
"corticosteroids ",,,,,,does this mean cortizone?

MikeM
06-15-2002, 06:36 PM
Yes, cortisone is a corticosteroid and a particularly damaging one. If someone is suggesting you get an injection, do a lot of research first.

MM...my shoulder hurts just typing the word cortisone.

06-15-2002, 07:50 PM
The topical cortisone creams you can get from a drug store, however are to my knowledge, completely safe.

Kato
06-17-2002, 02:41 PM
When I tore up my shoulder my orthopedic shot me up with a whole bucket load of cortisone. It was wonderful, after 4 days my shoulder felt 1000% better. My therapy got real good fast and I haven't had any real problems since. It's a hit or miss proposition with cortisone, I hit.

Kato