PDA

View Full Version : Reflections from WPBA's first tourney of the Year

Chris in NC
02-14-2005, 03:04 PM
We attended the event Saturday and Sunday. I must say it was a very well attended event for a smaller market and held at a community college. Obviously there was a great job done of promoting this event locally. The bleacher seating set-up could have been planned much better to allow us much closer and better views. Those that were there know exactly what I'm referring to. But otherwise it was great.

As far as the play, little has changed on the WPBA scene in my opinion, as it's been nearly 3 years since I've attended a tournament. It's very apparent that Allison is still so far superior to all the other players that it's really discouraging. I guess one reason why this surprises me so is that I'm aware of the limited amount of time Allison has spent practicing in the last number of years as opposed to most of her competitiors. I would think her competition would be gaining on her, but they just aren't. Apparently Karen was under the weather, so her performance was not up to par and cannot be fairly measured from this event alone, as she lost to Helena twice.

Of the few other players that impressed me (other than Allison) were Melissa Herndon - losing a very tough match to Ga Young Kim, and Tiffany Nelson who finished 5th. Melissa came up with some big shots and her game is clearly improving much more noticeably than any of the other young American women players that I've seen.

Tiffany has clearly been working hard on her game and appears to have taken alot of the wristiness out of her stroking action. She had a nice 5th place finish with some impressive match wins over Gerda and Jeanette before falling to Monica Webb. She has however become agonizingly slow in her pace, which cost her in her match against Monica. Once the players were put on the shot clock halfway through the match (they had only completed 6 games in the first 45 minutes), this clearly threw Tiffany out of her routine and her game changed for the worse. If she plans to ever be prepared for the Sunday televised matches where the players are on the shot clock all the time, she'd better speed up her pace considerably.

Curious as to the opinions of others who may have attended this event or other recent WPBA events, particularly in regards to my opinion of the huge gap in the quality of play between Allison and the rest. Is she just that gifted a player that comes along every few decades, or are there more explainable reasons as to why she's so much better? In my opinion it's her rock solid fundamentals that you simply don't see in any of the other players. The other factor is that for whatever reason she thrives in tournament situations and generally plays at her very best, whereas all the other players so rarely ever play up to their full potential in the crucial tournament matches. In my opinion the reason for that again comes back to her great fundamentals - which don't break down on her under pressure. - Chris in NC

Billy
02-14-2005, 09:24 PM
always have appreciated your comments

jmo

Melissa in CA
02-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Chris-

Thank you very much for the kind praise. The loss to Ga-Young was a tough one for me...missing that 5 ball in the side was mental error that is hard to accept. Ga-Young played a good shot...leaving me only 2 options...to play safe or go for the shot. Since I prefer to play offensively, I went for it...and unfortunately scratched. I knew it was a possibility, but I would rather go down swinging than misplay a safety and let her run out an easy rack.

I wish you had come to say hello. Hopefully you will get to another event soon! I hope you enjoyed yourself...and I agree with and appreciate your insights into the WPBA players and organization.

Best Regards,

Melissa

pooltchr
02-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Chris,
I think you made some valid observations in your post, however, I have to take exception with one of them.
Yes, Allison is still the class of the field, but the level of competition has certainly gotten better in the past 3 years. There are several ladies, particularly the younger ones, who are playing very strong pool.
Jennifer, Kelly, GYK, and several others are going to be challenging the top 5 every time they meet. Kelly, for example is a 6 time world snooker champion who has been over here playing 9 ball less than a year. Her fundamentals, IMO, are as strong as Allison's. Yes, she has a bit to learn at 9-ball, but that will come. Jennifer spends a lot of time with Tony R, from what I understand, and should end up with a very solid game.

Yes, Allison's fundamentals are virtually flawless, and her experience on the tour means she is a lot more comfortable in that atmosphere than some of the newer players.

As you said, this is the first tournament you attended in 3 years. It's very hard to evaluate a player's skill based on 3 days observation. I think you will be surprised at some of the ranking changes that I expect to see on the WPBA in the next year or two. Allison may still be on top, but I don't think there are going to be the kind of "runaways" that have been there in the past, and even the early round matches are going to be hotly contested. A lot of players are still playing catch up with Allison, Karen, and a couple of other top players, but it seems the gap is closing.
Just offering a different perspective.
Steve

Vagabond
02-15-2005, 05:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> Is she just that gifted a player that comes along every few decades.The other factor is that for whatever reason she thrives in tournament situations and generally plays at her very best, Chris in NC <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Chris,

That is why Allison is my DIVA.
you have a very good eye in sighting the talent( Melissa Herndon) and u never disapointed me.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris in NC
02-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Melissa, congrats another good showing. It's obvious the work you've put in on your game the past few years is paying off.

Melissa, the best advice I can give you is to keep working hard on your technique. As I know you've worked with Allison in the past, hopefully she can continue be of help to you. However, now that you are becoming more of a real threat to her, perhaps her assistance won't come as easy or cheap!

Unfortunately for me there are few WPBA tournaments on the horizon within a half a days drive of us here in NC. Why the WPBA lost their tourney in Valley Forge - one of the very best venues on the tour is nothing but a crime IMO. - Chris in NC

Chris in NC
02-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Steve, you're correct in that I didn't get much of a chance to check out the games of Jennifer Baretta, Kelly Fisher or GYK at this event. Certainly Kelly Fisher has made great strides in a short time period and may become another Karen Corr.

However Steve, when you look at the WPBA rankings and see that Julie Kelly and Monica Webb are currently ranked #4 and #5 on the tour, it just about says it all IMO.

Julie has the solid snooker stance, form and alignment, but her poky stroke will never hold up under pressure. It's obvious she's made no effort to change this stroke in the 5-6 years she's been over here. This stroke will simply not hold up under the gun.

Monica is a fierce competitor who now has much experience. However, her contorted right arm alignment and grip on the cue will never allow her to deliver the cue accurately enough to perform consistently under pressure. She miscued twice in her televised match on easy shots. Again, she appears to have made no effort to correct this flaw in the many years she's been playing.

Tiffany Nelson is the only player I saw this past tourney that has clearly made some changes and improvements in her stroking flaws of the past, though she could and should have done it a long time ago.

You would think these and other players would have at least somewhat attempted to model their form, stroke and technique after Allison at least somewhat, but I see little apparent effort or attempt to do so.

Allison is a tremendous teacher. I happen to know for a fact that she is ready and willing to help other female pro players with their games. They simply have not approached her, I guess out of fear, intimidation or maybe the fact that they don't want to pay for it. It's really too bad they won't take advantage of her vast knowledge and expertise - even though they all claim their apparent life and dreams center around pool and becoming the best pro players they can possibly be. - Chris in NC

pooltchr
02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Chris,
You are correct that some of the more experienced players don't seem to be as serious about improving as some of the newer players. It's a shame that many of them aren't taking advantage of the learning opportunities that are available. You mentioned Allison as an instructor, and yes, it is a bit expensive, but there are certainly other opportunities. Randy, Jerry, Scott and others are all available to work with anyone who is serious about improving. I can't imagine why more of them aren't banging down the doors of these guys.

Some of the newer players seem to be a little more open to getting help, and that is where I see the competition level moving up. Like the old saying goes, If you are standing still, you're moving backward.

I do still think many of your observations are right on the mark.
Steve

Chris in NC
02-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Steve, thanks for responding to my post. I don't believe Allison would charge nearly the same fee to work on a regular basis with a fellow pro player seriously interested in improving their game that she charges just anyone else to attend her weekend pool schools.

Knowing Allison, I know she would get a great deal of reward and satisfaction out of seeing improvement in the performance of the players she works with, including other pro players. She has enough confidence in her own game that I don't think she'd view sharing her knowledge with other talented players as a future threat to her dominance.

The bottom line is that it appers to me that the pro players are unfortunately little different than the players in our local poolrooms that love the game and say they want to improve.

They say it, but they don't know how to go about it and are simply unwilling and extremely resistive to undergoing any change that will feel initially uncomfortable to them and detrimentally affect their game in the short term.

Yes, a major change will result in a player likely initially getting worse and requiring a considerable transition period of weeks or even months until they start seeing the benefits. Obviously they have to have considerable trust and commitment in their instructor - even moreso if they are a pro player.

However, the long term gains from any changes and improvements in any player's form and technique are unquestionably worth it. The longer a player goes with the same bad form, the harder it would be for them to change. I guess this is why some of the pro players I've mentioned seem to be stuck with the current flaws in their games - because they've been doing it so long they're afraid to try something different. - Chris in NC

DebraLiStarr
02-15-2005, 09:17 AM
The bottom line is that it appers to me that the pro players are unfortunately little different than the players in our local poolrooms that love the game and say they want to improve.

<font color="blue">Jeannette Lee has been going to Paul Brienza for years. Ewa Mataya Lawrence has used Mike Sigel as an intructor, Both Ga Young Kim and Jennifer Chen have used David Sapolis as a coach in the past. I've talked to some of the lady players on the tour and they say that it is a completely different competitive environment on the tour than in the pool hall. I've been to the US Open in Albuquerque and there are plenty of distractions in the tournament environment with so much other stuff going on. Melissa, is this one of the biggest problems at your level, maintaining focus and not being intimidated by players like Karen and Allison?</font color>

Melissa in CA
02-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Debra-

While maintaining focus can be a problem for everyone, including muself, the intimidation factor does not come into play for me anymore. I believe in myself and my game...and I see no reason for me to be intimidated by anyone. Yes, Karen and Allison have been very dominant...but they have both been playing this game for much longer than I have (I started at 18...Allison started at 7)...so I am still learning things they take for granted. But, I have moved consistently up the rankings since I started competing professionally...and I see no reason for that to end. It may take a little longer than some others...but I am OK with that. I have beaten 98% of the women in the WPBA...including Allison at the US Open...so I realized that there is no reason to be afraid of them. They all play wonderfully...and the truth is the winner will be whoever plays best in any given match. I have respect for each and every player...but intimidation is not a factor for me.

-Melissa

DebraLiStarr
02-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Melissa. I guess at my level I would be intimidated if I saw a name like yours or Allison's in my bracket at any tournament. Congratulations on all of your success so far, and may you have much more in the future. I'm rooting for you!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>

As far as the play, little has changed on the WPBA scene in my opinion, as it's been nearly 3 years since I've attended a tournament. It's very apparent that Allison is still so far superior to all the other players that it's really discouraging. <hr /></blockquote>

She is not as far superior as she used to be IMO.

Although she is still the best she has proven lately that she can be beaten.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr>

Of the few other players that impressed me (other than Allison) were Melissa Herndon - losing a very tough match to Ga Young Kim, and Tiffany Nelson who finished 5th. Melissa came up with some big shots and her game is clearly improving much more noticeably than any of the other young American women players that I've seen.

<hr /></blockquote>

Chris, we attended the Peoria event last summer and saw some of the new faces.

Sarah Rousey, although she has not finished as high lately, can shoot the lights out. I watched her at the 2004 DCC beating some very strong male players.

Obviously Jennifer Barretta has been improving dramatically. What did you think of her mechanics? I thought her stroke looked really good.

Laura Smith has been playing some of the best pool of her life lately (from what I have seen)

Jeanette Lee is playing great and is always a threat.

You were correct about Melissa Herndon. She is showing that she can beat anybody any time. And being a young lady she has a lot of room to improve even more.

Thanks for your post about the Carolina tourney.

jjinfla
02-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Not watching them in person, only on TV, and just looking at the records I would have to agree with your evaluations Chris. Looking at the roster you have Allison, Corr, Lee &amp; Thornfeld on top. Followed closely by Ga Young Kim. Vivian, Campos, and Ewa seem to be going in reverse. Then there are about 6-12 women who show promise but always seem to fall short. Ala Gerda over the years.

As far as taking lessons it might be that they just don't have the money to spare for lessons.

And how many of them really take playing in the WPBA as a job and commit themselves to apply themselves to it on a daily basis? But it must be pretty hard to commit yourself to the game when there are only 8 tournaments in the year. On top of that being prohibited from playing in some non-sanctioned tournaments during the year.

I believe that most of the women enter just hoping that somehow they can get lucky when in reality they really have no chance and are just spinning their wheels. But they put down their $550 and think if they win one match they are doing great. And can be called a Pro.

But Allison and Corr are smiling all the way to the bank.

Jake

pooltchr
02-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Jake. Very good point that raises a question. Since the WPBA only holds 7 events per year, there is a very limited amount of money to pay to all those "professionals". Does anyone know the reason the WPBA places some very tough restrictions on what those professionals can do beyond the WPBA events that might allow them to make some additional income playing in non WPBA events? As I understand it, the players need to get permission from the WPBA to enter any non-WPBA events.
Anyone have any insight into this?
Steve

CarolNYC
02-15-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While maintaining focus can be a problem for everyone, including muself, the intimidation factor does not come into play for me anymore. I believe in myself and my game...and I see no reason for me to be intimidated by anyone. Yes, Karen and Allison have been very dominant...but they have both been playing this game for much longer than I have (I started at 18...Allison started at 7)...so I am still learning things they take for granted. But, I have moved consistently up the rankings since I started competing professionally...and I see no reason for that to end. It may take a little longer than some others...but I am OK with that <hr /></blockquote>

Now that is WORD! Melissa is a VERY fierce competitor,not only is she strong(and one of my best and adored friends),she is an inspiration and motivates others to always do their best-yes, the pro tour is tough, but maybe thats why we like it, to say "been there,done that!"
Most of the players have been playing since childhood,so it takes time and time is what we have,so like she says"Im okay with that"I watched a tape back in 1988 at the resorts and the winner was to play Jean,well, if you saw how far pool has come, you would laugh-some of the shots that were taken were like, 'Oh my God' I would've never done that,ha ha ha"
I do not feel there is any intimidation -if your intimidated, then your in a tough situation-I feel shooting pool is like shooting a rifle-you set your target,aim and fire-if you move your going to miss-this is one very important point I learned when I trained with Steve and Kelly in N.C.-that set,pause,finish,FREEZE (lock&amp;load)-that routine must be down pact-if you miss and walk away and say 'oh well,I missed" well, thats not good-you have to know WHY you missed and its either you just aimed wrong or you MOVED!
As for N.C&gt;--I can't wait to go back-they were just genuinely kind,good people and I had a great time and time is what I have!
Take care!
Carol:) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ~also ,along with my sponsors,I now endorse the cue extender by Tony Ryan /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
02-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Carol,
Bring it on down ANYTIME! I really enjoyed meeting and working with you. I'm glad you felt like it was something that helped your game...and SPFF is probably the most important thing you could have picked up.
Lock and Load, Girl!
Steve

jjinfla
02-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Pooltchr,

I didn't realize that the WPBA had that restriction in their by-laws until there was all that discussion about the UPA last year and how they were limiting the tournaments their players can play in and they stated that their contract is pretty close to the WPBA contract.

But I did speak with a woman on the WPBA tour who stated that the WPBA is pretty obliging to their members about letting them play in small tournaments that don't pose a problem to the WPBA. The DCC was the exception. I really don't know of any other tournament where the players were restricted from competing.

Evidently the players don't mind the restriction otherwise they would do someting about it. It is not that hard to amend the by-laws. Someone just has to write up the proposal and present it at a meeting and then the members would vote on it. But as in all organizations 5% of the members do the work and the remaining just follow like sheep or complain. LOL.

Jake

CarolNYC
02-17-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bring it on down ANYTIME <hr /></blockquote>
You got it Steve!
Hey, I was surprised you were not in NC-you were missed!
I alwayas say "no matter who I train with or for how long, but if I learn at least ONE thing,then I've learned and I've learned /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Carol,
Sharon and I had planned on going, but unfortunately a surgeon decided I needed his services, so I have been recovering from some "slicing and dicing".
Everything is fine, and I'm even back to work part time, but traveling that weekend was out of the question.
Next time!
Steve

CarolNYC
02-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Well thank God your okay Steve,
You just take your time and heal-give Sharon my regards and God Bless!
Carol~will see you soon! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jerry_GIP
02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Having attended about 15 tournaments in the last 4 years, I would argue that Allison is not quite as dominant as she once was. It seems to me a lot of the newer players have been making a serious effort to close the gap, and a few (like Jeanette) have concentrated on regaining their status. True, Allison and Karen are odds-on favorites anytime, but look at all the new faces we saw on TV in 2004.

I guess part of this may be due to dropping the Sardo and going to alternate breaks. But I also see a whole bunch of young players who believe they can be more competitive. And they are slowly driving out the older, former stars who may have become a little complacent.

jjinfla
02-18-2005, 02:32 PM
I would agree with you about Allison if you were referring to her play a couple years ago where Karen won 7 tournaments and ended in 1st place in the points standings. But I believe that Allison had personal problems with her dad being in poor health back then. Last year Allison came back and finished in 1st place in the standings. And after the 1st tournament this year it sure does look like Allison is in top form and will take it all again this year. She looks stronger than ever. I think Karen is showing signs of weakness in her game.

Without even looking at the brackets in the Great Lakes tournament in March I would rate Allison a 3 game favorite in rounds one and two. Two game favorite in round 3. And the favorite to win the tournament.

Jake

johnnyt
02-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I agree that there are about ten of the new players that have a chance to make the semi-finals and finals on any given week. But the fact remains if Allision doesn't beat herself(which she never does)she is still the one to beat.
Johnnyt

jjinfla
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Name those ten johnnyT and I'll bet that none of them make it to the semi finals in March.

Ga Young Kim has the best chance but they will be out for her and not take her lightly.

Kelly Fisher?

That's two. Who are the other eight?

Jake

landshark77
02-18-2005, 07:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Name those ten ... I'll bet that none of them make it to the semi finals in March.

<hr /></blockquote>

10 in no particular order:

1.Ga Young Kim
2.Kelly Fisher
3.Melissa Herndon
4.Gerda Hoffstader
5.Jenn Barretta
6.Tiffany Nelson
7. Helena Thornfelt
8. Monica Webb
9. Julie Kelly
10. Sarah Rousey

Janette Lee was purposely left out, as she is up there pretty much w/ Alison and Karen, so she doesn't count on my list, but I do recognize her as a condender.

How much are we staking???

jjinfla
02-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Johnny specifically stated "new players" had a chance. Surely you don't consider Gerda a new player. Especially since she was the champion in 1997 (one of 3). And Helena and Tiffany are not exactly new players. Helena is always a contender. In fact it is because of players like Gerda, Helena, Tiffany, Vivian, Lee, Campos that I give very little chance for the rest of the field to succeed.

But with a good draw (away from Allison and Karen) then Ga Young and Julie Kelly or Kelly Fisher might have a chance.

Allison, Kim, Webb, Julie Kelly, Lee, Helena, Gerda and Karen will all be seeded so they are odds on favorites to win rounds 1,2 &amp; 3. Then the battle really begins.

IM me with your wager. LOL.

Jake

landshark77
02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I admit that 10 NEW players is a hard feat, but there are some out there who do stand a chance, aside from Ga Young and Kelly Fisher. I stand by my list, we'll just take out the ones you just vetoed.
Please bear in mind, the only ladies on my list that are not seeded are Sarah Rousey and Kelly Fisher, but they are both on their way. If you look at how frequently the seeded players are changing you will see the multitude of contenders there are in the WPBA. Alison and Karen can both be beaten...it has been proven.

If you seriously wanna stake this, then you contact me... I'm not sure you will like the wager I have to offer...

buddha162
02-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Once GYK gains more (American) experience on tour, perhaps slow her tempo down a little and upping her consistency she will overtake Allison/Karen, and by a significant margin to boot. Just mho, but Ga Young is the first woman to really wow me with her play. I'm going to stake the girl who is both reigning US Open AND World Champion!

-Roger

Barbara
02-19-2005, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Once GYK gains more (American) experience on tour, perhaps slow her tempo down a little <hr /></blockquote>

Ha!! I bet she goes the distance in the WPBA without EVER being put on a shot clock!

You should've seen the JPNEWT final of her and Jenn Barretta at Comet three years ago. GYK won 9-1 in 30 minutes.

Barbara

Rich R.
02-20-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>You should've seen the JPNEWT final of her and Jenn Barretta at Comet three years ago. GYK won 9-1 in 30 minutes.<hr /></blockquote>
I first saw GYK play in a CAT tournament, in Virginia. None of us could believe how fast she played. MikeM, who was watching with my wife and I, decided to time her. GYK broke and ran a rack in approximately 58 seconds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, you really want to watch when she brings out the big break. After hitting the rack, the cue ball pops straight up, about 2 feet in the air, then squats in the center of the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

johnnyt
02-20-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't know why I said 10 new players. I'll blame it on the flu meds i'm on. Yes, I would go with Ga Young Kim, Kelly Fisher to make the finals.
Johnnyt

Jerry_GIP
02-20-2005, 07:53 PM
In the last year the points lead has changed hands frequently (albeit between just Allison and Karen). Meanwhile, since the rule changes, we have seen wins by Julie Kelly, Ga Young Kim and Jeanette (as well as a big improvement from Jeanette moving her into 3rd place) which have knocked Helena way down the rankings.

In Michigan City, Allison has a good chance to increase her points lead, but after that she needs to win three in a row just to keep the same points total while Karen is replacing three 3rd's.

I'll agree Allison should be the favorite anytime, but she no longer is the overwhelming favorite she was. Sometimes I think Allison doesn't work as hard between events as she used to, but I'm sure Karen does and she is also not as dominating as she was. I have to conclude the competition is getting tougher.

landshark77
02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jerry_GIP:</font><hr> Meanwhile, since the rule changes, we have seen wins by Julie Kelly, Ga Young Kim and Jeanette (as well as a big improvement from Jeanette moving her into 3rd place) which have knocked Helena way down the rankings.

<hr /></blockquote>

What rule changes?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
02-21-2005, 05:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> What rule changes?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>I have to assume he is referring to the alternating break.

Stretch
02-21-2005, 05:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> What rule changes?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>I have to assume he is referring to the alternating break. <hr /></blockquote>

Alternating breaks!? Boy talk about institutionalizing medeocrity. St.

Rich R.
02-21-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Alternating breaks!? Boy talk about institutionalizing medeocrity. St. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't think I can agree with you Stretch.

There have been a number of discussions about this topic, on the different pool forums, and there seems to be a number of pros and cons to the alternating breaks.

No one will deny that it is exciting to see a player run rack after rack. However, as a fan, the alternating break allows you to see both players at the table.

Also, rather than "institutionalizing medeocrity", IMHO, the alternating break tends to punish the player who makes the mistakes. This was recently demonstrated on ESPN, in a match between Allison and Jeanette. Allison made some mistakes, which is rare for her, and Jeanette made her pay for every one, winning the match 7-0.
It is difficult to come from behind, with the alternating breaks, so players better not make the mistakes in the first place.

jjinfla
02-21-2005, 06:28 AM
What rule changes??

No more Sardo rack and the 1 ball is spotted on the spot.

Alternate breaks. Yet I believe Pat Flemming did a statistical analysis a while back and found that the person who breaks loses slightly more than he wins.

And of course the stop in December where ESPN had 8 hours of TV time available so they varied the bracket format where the losers side had a great chance to be on TV.

Jake

Stretch
02-21-2005, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Alternating breaks!? Boy talk about institutionalizing medeocrity. St. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't think I can agree with you Stretch.

There have been a number of discussions about this topic, on the different pool forums, and there seems to be a number of pros and cons to the alternating breaks.

No one will deny that it is exciting to see a player run rack after rack. However, as a fan, the alternating break allows you to see both players at the table.

Also, rather than "institutionalizing medeocrity", IMHO, the alternating break tends to punish the player who makes the mistakes. This was recently demonstrated on ESPN, in a match between Allison and Jeanette. Allison made some mistakes, which is rare for her, and Jeanette made her pay for every one, winning the match 7-0.
It is difficult to come from behind, with the alternating breaks, so players better not make the mistakes in the first place.
<hr /></blockquote>

Point taken Rich. I'll leave the pro's and con's debate for another thread. St.