PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream cue to own? Share your fantasy!

wuyeah
02-15-2005, 01:09 AM
HaHaHa....Fun question, what is your dream cue that you think about to own all the time, that sometimes you think about it that you can't sleep well at night??

Chris Cass
02-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi wuyeah,

This question has been asked before and many replies with pics are in it. I can't remember when but do remember it was a post. I wish I had the thread for ya but why don't you start with yours?

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't have good pics to post on my own and doesn't know how to post it along with how to take a pic. hahaha I'm all messed up. LOL

GeraldG
02-15-2005, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wuyeah:</font><hr> HaHaHa....Fun question, what is your dream cue that you think about to own all the time, that sometimes you think about it that you can't sleep well at night?? <hr /></blockquote>

This one:

Schick cue (http://www.wuscues.com/BSch/bsch005.htm)

mksmith713
02-15-2005, 06:33 AM
C'mon folks, if you have a pool cue keeping you awake at night, you really need to get a life..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
There's so many other things to keep you restless...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fantasy cue?
No particular brand or maker.
Just one that feels and plays so well that I can give the Devil a 3 rack spot in a race to 7 and still beat him.

Rich R.
02-15-2005, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr> C'mon folks, if you have a pool cue keeping you awake at night, you really need to get a life..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
There's so many other things to keep you restless...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
Although I love cues, I have toagree with mksmith on this issue.

The only cue I dream of,is the cue that does not miss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
02-15-2005, 06:53 AM
I have never had a dream cue keep me awake either. I don't have one. There isn't a cue that plays better than mine anyway. I like the old tradition cues. The new cues, almost all of them, are far to busy. I have plenty of other things that will keep me awake though. I might sleep less than anyone on this board.

Rod

Deeman2
02-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Most here know how much I covet Santo's PFD. Otherwise, I love my Schon.

Deeman

GeraldG
02-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Well, in reality, I hope nobody has a cue that is actually keeping them awake at night. I took it as the poster was speaking figuratively and was really asking "What cue, out of all of the cues you know about, would you like most to own?"

The cue that posted a link to is that cue for me. Not because of playability, I already own the cue that hits best for me. I would like to have it for the sheer beauty of the cue...the intricate workmanship that went into building the cue. I would probably never hit a ball with it or chalk the tip. I would probably put it in a protective display case and just admire it. I'm not a cue collector and I don't have any cues that I wouldn't play with. I have some high-end custom cues, but they are all players. This is one cue I would make an exception for. Some people may not like it at all. That's a matter of taste. For my taste, it is the most outrageously beautiful cue I've ever seen....it's a work of art.

SPetty
02-15-2005, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> "What cue, out of all of the cues you know about, would you like most to own?"<hr /></blockquote>And here I thought he was asking a "design your own" question...

I've not yet seen it, but I'm sure it exists. Something in black and shiny silver and colorful abalone for me.

Billy_Bob
02-15-2005, 09:58 AM
The W. Zaehringer adjustable weight billiard cue (http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=00692970&amp;homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.usp to.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DP ALL%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%2Fnetahtml%2Fsrchnum.htm%25 26r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526s1%3D692970.WKU.% 2526OS%3DPN%2F692970%2526RS%3DPN%2F692970&amp;PageNum= &amp;Rtype=&amp;SectionNum=&amp;idkey=E7D5825120CE)

and this pool table...
http://www.prime-leisure.com/zig_zag.htm

Barbara
02-15-2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wuyeah:</font><hr> HaHaHa....Fun question, what is your dream cue that you think about to own all the time, that sometimes you think about it that you can't sleep well at night?? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm still working on the design with my Cueman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It doesn't keep me up at night, but it sure would be nice to wake up to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

JimS
02-15-2005, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi wuyeah,

This question has been asked before and many replies with pics are in it. I can't remember when but do remember it was a post. I wish I had the thread for ya but why don't you start with yours?

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't have good pics to post on my own and doesn't know how to post it along with how to take a pic. hahaha I'm all messed up. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

My dream cue would be the South West that CC has! Never seen one I like better /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daviddjmp
02-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Any Hercek would be great-

Chris Cass
02-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Why Thank you Jim,

Did you get a chance to see the Boti? It seems to get prettier everyday. I do love the S.W. I have and I think you'd look good shooting with it too.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.~~loves Jim' collection of S.W.' too. Love Jim' table, room, tv, tip draws, nicnac's, light switch cover, did I mention Diamond Pro? and of course Jim' lovely wife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and grandkids too. lol

Mike D2
02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Any cue maker that can make a cue look old and have a hit like a predator.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Although I don't lose sleep over it I would like to have a cue like Gabe Owen's Shurtz that he won the Open with.

Rackin_Zack
02-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Skip Weston is building my dream cue as we speak! It's a four point ebony (ebony and cocobolo "veneers") with four backing points of snake wood. Snake wood and cocobolo windows with a few ivory inlays and Bushka rings. However, I dream about cues alot...lol. I'll also be dreaming up something special for when my name comes up on Joel Hercek's list!!

Cueless Joey
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
My dream cue would be one I would make.
Curly pernambuco front with figured rosewood points bordered with curly maple and pink ivory.
I'll wrap the handle with a smooth wine-colored kangaroo skin ( legal in Nevada ).
Staghorn collars with a radial pin.

Chris Cass
02-15-2005, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Although I don't lose sleep over it I would like to have a cue like Gabe Owen's Shurtz that he won the Open with.

<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Wally,

Did you know that Gabes father made that cue? Matter of fact he makes most all the cues from Shurtz.

Regards,

C.C.~~I've got a line on them if you ever cared to look at one. Evelyn and Danny that run the Midwest tour has them there with them at the booth. Shurtz sponsors the tour also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mksmith713
02-15-2005, 05:11 PM
I agree with Rich. Old school cues are awesome.
Not too busy... Just a simple rosewood with 4 simple points.
A simple wrap or perhaps no wrap at all.
These old cues, for some reason or another, seem to have nice straight shafts that have held their integrity over decades.
Not sure you can find that in cues being made these days.
Every cue I own that is of contemporary design has a slight roll in the shaft.
One I own (and this is made by one of the bigger names in production cues) has a slight roll in the butt.
I wonder what those old school cuemakers did different to make their cues withstand the test of time?

Cueless Joey
02-15-2005, 05:36 PM
They had better wood then.

ChuckR
02-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Isn't it funny that the same people that tell you to get a life are also the same ones that are living on their computers at this site when they could probably be out playing pool. My dream cue would be an original Balabushka. I would like to experience the hit that many of pool legends considered the "best". They will also continue to appreciate in price which is already out of site. Well, see ya later. I'm off to play pool Chuck

mksmith713
02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> Isn't it funny that the same people that tell you to get a life are also the same ones that are living on their computers at this site when they could probably be out playing pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Why go out to play pool when I can go downstairs and play in my pool room?
I even have a playing partner here.
It doesn't get too much better than this.

JimS
02-16-2005, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> Isn't it funny that the same people that tell you to get a life are also the same ones that are living on their computers at this site when they could probably be out playing pool. My dream cue would be an original Balabushka. I would like to experience the hit that many of pool legends considered the "best". They will also continue to appreciate in price which is already out of site. Well, see ya later. I'm off to play pool Chuck <hr /></blockquote>

Brad Simpson, the author of the Blue Book of Pool Cues, lives here in town and is a friend of mine. One result of this friendship is that I've had the opportunity to play with original Bushka's and Boti's and I think that neither play as good as many of todays well made custom cues. I'm partial to South West cues and imo they most definitely play better than the best cues from a few decades back. Maybe technology has improved the craft...technology and experience...one cue maker learning from those who came before.

In fact I just bought a Blackheart sneaky pete and it plays so well that I think it will replace my Franklin era South West as my playing cue. The Bleakheart really rocks...fantastic hit that mimicks very closely the hit of my favorite South West (I haven't hit with CC's SW. NOBODY has! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

mtuckeriii
02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not too busy... Just a simple rosewood with 4 simple points. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree 100%

http://www.murraytucker.com/my_cues.htm

lord_shar
02-17-2005, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr> I agree with Rich. Old school cues are awesome.
Not too busy... Just a simple rosewood with 4 simple points.
A simple wrap or perhaps no wrap at all.
These old cues, for some reason or another, seem to have nice straight shafts that have held their integrity over decades.
Not sure you can find that in cues being made these days.
Every cue I own that is of contemporary design has a slight roll in the shaft.
One I own (and this is made by one of the bigger names in production cues) has a slight roll in the butt.
I wonder what those old school cuemakers did different to make their cues withstand the test of time? <hr /></blockquote>

My old Meucci HoF1 picked up a slight roll a few months after I started breaking with it. I left it alone for a couple of months after that, and the next time I used it, I noticed the roll was gone.

If I had to guess, storage temperature and humidity probably plays a significant role in maintaining cue straightness. Certain manufacturing techniques such as pre-aging woods and alternating splice sections (e.g., Predators) will also minimize warping.

Rackin_Zack
02-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Here's a pic of the design I gave Skip:

http://www.missouri.edu/~richardsonz/New_design.jpg

SecaucusFats
02-18-2005, 12:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mtuckeriii:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Not too busy... Just a simple rosewood with 4 simple points. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree 100%

http://www.murraytucker.com/my_cues.htm
<hr /></blockquote>

For those of you who may not know it, Murray Tucker is IMO, one of the finest cuemakers around today. If you are ever lucky enough to get your hands on a Tucker you'll know what I'm talking about.

Cueless Joey
02-18-2005, 12:39 AM
He sure is.
A great guy too.

CarolNYC
02-18-2005, 12:54 AM
LMAO-one that makes every shot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
02-18-2005, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> Here's a pic of the design I gave Skip <hr /></blockquote>Gotta love that bird's eye maple! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LJC_Cues
02-19-2005, 12:39 AM
The old timers seemed to care more about construction then the design on the cue! I prefer sneaky petes myself! They are low key cues and generally play well! Plus cost much less then traditional 4 point cues. Only issue is most cue makers dont use the top quality shafts, ferrules when making them! In this case you just have to find an A+ shaft and a good ferrule and have one made for you sneaky pete. With this done you will get the quality of a $1000 cue for $200-$300. I have a sneaky pete from many famous cue makers in my collection. Alot of the shafts have a slight warp to them! Call me biased but I think the first cue I ever made hits better than any of them do! Also my cue hasnt warped in the butt or the shaft and I have been abusing it for over 2 years now making sure nothing falls off or breaks. I used an A+ grade shaft which is perfect and almost white. this is a quality shaft some makers dont use until you pay 2k for a cue. I let many local players play with it and a lot of them agree with the hit part and are surprised it hasnt warped with what I do to the cue you would have to be crazy to treat a cue the way I have treated this one! I guess thats why I have gotten so many orders for them! I guess basically I am saying the old timers seemed care more on the construction part of a cue! It seems many cue makers today are obsessed with making the prettiest cue instead of the toughest. Who can blame them though the market is there and they can make a HUGE profit off of them!

GeraldG
02-19-2005, 02:43 AM
I think what you are saying is partially true, but I think the comparison is somewhat flawed.

You are comparing two completely different classes of cue. A SP is intended for dragging around from pool hall to pool hall and taking some of the abuse you describe. The original intent was to have a "custom" cue that didn't draw attention...it looks like a house cue. The original sneaky petes didn't have any joint rings...some now do. You may be right on about the quality of the shafts in many of the SP cues, though. It depends on the maker. I don't think you'll find an inferior shaft on a Bill Schick or Tim Scruggs sneaky, but you may on SP's from some other cuemakers, especially production cuemakers. The custom cuemakers that build SP cues normally aren't going to intentionally put an inferior shaft on anything that goes out the door...it's not worth having their reputations damaged to save $40.00 or $50.00 on a shaft. They tend to charge more for a SP than the production makers do, but you also get a higher quality cue.

A highly ornamental cue is not made for the same purpose. Many of them, although quite playable, are really intended as functional art. You buy those cues for a different reason than you would buy a sneaky pete. Most of these cues, especially those in the $10,000.00 and up range are never even chalked. They are expensive collector items...different strokes for different folks.

The ones that fall in the middle of those two extremes are the ones that are used for playing as well as appreciated for the workmanship and beauty. However, people tend to take much better care of a $3,000.00 playing cue than they would a $300.00 SP. They don't have to take the abuse because they aren't subjected to it. I play with a Danny Tibbitts cue that falls into that range, and he's building another for me now. I would compare the hit of those cues to any SP made by anyone. Same for my Scruggs. They are build the "old fashioned" way as far as quality of construction and precision of alignments, etc. There are a whole bunch of cuemakers building very high quality cues in that range.

Plus, you have to bear in mind that the "hit" and "feel" of a cue is highly subjective. What may be perfect for one person may be terrible for another.

FastJoey
02-23-2005, 11:04 PM
the wood the ole timers used is called Old Growth Lumber/timber..meaning it was taken from trees that took many many years even hundreds of years to grow.they grew slowly before being cut down.now a days alot of lumber comes from tree farms which is harvested lumber and they make it grow quickly..looking at the end grain of the cut piece of wood the old growth will have many so called growth rings which are tight(tight graining) the younger/newer lumber has wider growth rings..the older is thus much more stable to use......this old growth lumber can be found at your better speciality hardwood stores..