PDA

View Full Version : Porper Jam Up Rack

SPetty
02-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever seen or used this rack called the Porper Jam Up Rack? What's so special about it? How does it work?

Porper Jam Up Rack (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/joepojamupra.html)

Troy
02-15-2005, 08:12 PM
IMO it's an attempt to rival the SARDINE GIZMO but hit the market a few years late. I say use a good oak triangle and learn to properly rack.
(Although I don't mean to say that to you personally... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Has anyone ever seen or used this rack called the Porper Jam Up Rack? What's so special about it? How does it work?

Porper Jam Up Rack (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/joepojamupra.html) <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
02-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I could not agree more, use a triangle rack and put your fingers in the right places and you can get a good rack. You notice I didn't say a perfect rack because, I like the little variables in sports. I don't care if a table is a different size or doesn't roll perfect, (no table rolls perfect anyway) you play the game.

Rip
02-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi SPetty,
You don't need no stinkin' jam up rack! You got me!!! Rack Boy Rip! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Regards,
Rip~rack gizmos are crap...and I mean that in a nice way.

JimS
02-16-2005, 05:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> IMO it's an attempt to rival the SARDINE GIZMO but hit the market a few years late. I say use a good oak triangle and learn to properly rack.
(Although I don't mean to say that to you personally... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Has anyone ever seen or used this rack called the Porper Jam Up Rack? What's so special about it? How does it work?

Porper Jam Up Rack (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/joepojamupra.html) <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Troy said it right...imo and also imo Diamnd makes the best rack out there! VERY strong/solid and made in several types of wood to match your table. Check them out.

SpiderMan
02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Spetty,

I enlarged the photo to look at it. It appears that there is a flat plexiglass cover over the rack, with a cutout in in that is smaller than the total outside dimension of the racked balls. The theory is probably that, when forced down over the balls, this cutout applies pressure from all sides to gather the balls together.

This is similar to the operation of the "freeze rack" gadget that was marketed about 20 years ago. The freeze rack was basically an undersized rack with slanted sidewalls, to achieve the same effect of pushing the balls together as the rack is forced downward. It was a clean and uncomplicated design, for which the patent has probably expired. I think the freeze rack sold for less than $20.

Both the freeze rack and this porper rack will only work in an ideal world with ideal identical balls. I think I could personally do a better job with a well-made triangle rack because my fingers can apply pressure to the perimeter of the gathered balls in spite of uneven sizes and other inconsistencies.

SpiderMan

PoolFool
02-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I agree that it is hard to beat a wooden rack. However, if you are not the one that is racking wouldn't it be great if you knew that every rack you break would have the head ball on the spot and all balls frozen?

PoolFool

Troy
02-18-2005, 08:56 AM
I certainly would NOT want your "tight" rack to be caused by CRATERS in the cloth.
Getting a good solid wood triangle and then learning how to rack is the proper way to go.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> I agree that it is hard to beat a wooden rack. However, if you are not the one that is racking wouldn't it be great if you knew that every rack you break would have the head ball on the spot and all balls frozen?

PoolFool <hr /></blockquote>

PoolFool
02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I certainly would NOT want your "tight" rack to be caused by CRATERS in the cloth.
Getting a good solid wood triangle and then learning how to rack is the proper way to go.

Troy

What if there were no CRATERS, just smooth cloth like a wooden rack? However, when your opponent racks, he(or she) gives you the same ball frozen rack every time.If you play in our league or tournaments, the loser racks and the winner breaks so no matter how well you learn to rack, you could be subject to poor, loose racks.

(And NO, I don't sell racks of any kind)
PoolFool

Troy
02-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't understand your question about "What if there were no CRATERS, just smooth cloth..." There should be NO craters unless some clown pounds on the balls, or the cloth has a hole from wear or not having a good spot in place.

No matter who breaks or racks, you have the absolute right to inspect the rack prior to the break and the right to request a re-rack. To not do so is to accept what's there with no complaints, be it a "slug" rack, tilted rack, or whatever else the racker may provide.

Troy...~~~ Has experience as a TD
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr>
What if there were no CRATERS, just smooth cloth like a wooden rack? However, when your opponent racks, he(or she) gives you the same ball frozen rack every time.If you play in our league or tournaments, the loser racks and the winner breaks so no matter how well you learn to rack, you could be subject to poor, loose racks.

(And NO, I don't sell racks of any kind)

PoolFool
02-18-2005, 06:29 PM
I don't know where those CRATERS came from either. I just quoated your post of 9:56 AM, 2/18/05. It doesn't matter anyway. Probably no one will ever come up with a Master Rack that freezes all the balls every time.
PoolFool

Troy
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
I beg to differ.....
With a bit of education and practice, anyone can produce a good rack using a solid wood triangle.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> Probably no one will ever come up with a Master Rack that freezes all the balls every time.