PDA

View Full Version : UV Epoxy Finishes... Cuemakers Opinions Wanted!!!

cheese_ball
02-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello again...

Still tooling up here, and had one more concern. Has anyone ever gotten a UV finish to look/feel good? I've not been having any luck making it work well. I purchased two cues from Jerico, in texas, because I found out that he uses this type of clear coat. His clear coat looked OK, no depth to the finish... what concerns me is that the finish was chipping off within a week! What's up with that? Does this particular cuemaker not know how to properly use the product, or is the product not right for the application?

Pizza Bob
02-16-2005, 08:23 AM
As far as the finish being right for the product, I can tell you that Joss cues uses a UV finish on all their production cues, and they don't seem to have any problem.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cueless Joey
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
UV is supposed to be harder than auto-finish, so it should be more durable.
But, it cannot be as clear as auto finish though because it is not buffed and polished.

UV finish is better for the environment though. It's water based and a lot less overspraying. I am told Dufferin just dripped them on their hanging cues on conveyor.

Popcorn
02-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Check out these people and give them a call. If you can get ahold of the old guy who ownes the company he will talk your ear off. You will know more then you ever wanted to know.
http://www.epoxycoatingsco.com/contact.html

SPetty
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Did you take your concerns back to the cuemaker? What was the response?

cheese_ball
02-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Cueless-

It IS HARDER, much harder, the problem being, that it doesn't flex at all. Because of this, it won't dent like an automotive finish will, it cracks off. Or that's the way it appears. Also, any spot where the wood moves creates cracking and chipping. One of the cues is a jump/break (which performs great BTW) with flat faced joints. BOTH joints show EXTREME signs of wear after 2-3 weeks of use. So, is this standard for the UV's, or is it being applied incorrectly?

cheese_ball
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Popcorn-

Thank you very much, this was very helpful! I will be posting pictures of the damages in the finish tomorrow. Check them out, and tell me what you think. I am very curious if this is the right system to use for cuemaking....

Popcorn
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
I think it is just fast and geared more to the manafacturer not for a guy build in 50 cues a year.

mksmith713
02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Do an online search for West Systems epxoy finishes.
They have a clear UV finish that I know would work great on cues.

Popcorn
02-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I like West system products, I use them all the time.

Cueless Joey
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
CB, check with these people.
http://radtech.org/
My mentor is pretty happy with 5-Star auto finish so we have not dwelved into UV finish.

GeraldG
02-16-2005, 07:34 PM
My cuemaker uses Imron automobile clear coat. I have a cue he built that has been played continuously since 1990 and the finish is still perfect (except where I've dinged the butt in a couple of places).

Cueless Joey
02-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Imron is now illegal in California.

GeraldG
02-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Why?