PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Games Beside Eight And Nine Ball

BROWN148
02-16-2005, 09:57 AM
What different games would you recommend besides the basic Eight Ball and Nine Ball.

LARRY_BOY
02-16-2005, 10:01 AM
ONE POCKET

Rackin_Zack
02-16-2005, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> ONE POCKET <hr /></blockquote>

Let us not forget 14.1!

crawdaddio
02-16-2005, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> ONE POCKET <hr /></blockquote>

I concur!
Check here:

http://onepocket.org/

PQQLK9
02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BROWN148:</font><hr> What different games would you recommend besides the basic Eight Ball and Nine Ball. <hr /></blockquote>

I copied the following from the back cover of "Upscale-One-Pocket" by

Jack H. Koehler.

"ONE-POCKET is the ultimate pool challenge-its the Rolls Royce of pool games-its the universal choice of champions. When the greastest pool players in the world do combat,ONE-POCKET is their battlefield of choice. Superiority in ONE-POCKET signifies mental as well as physical pool prowess.

ONE-POCKET requires greater knowledge and skill than the other pool games.
Therefore, ONE-POCKET is not recommeded for the beginner. It is suggested that
the beginner get experience playing EIGHT BALL and NINE BALL before tackling
ONE-POCKET".

woody_968
02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
My two favorite games are straight pool and one pocket.

But understand to get full enjoyment out of these games you cant just learn the rules and play the game, you have to study the game and learn how it should be played.

14.1 is a great example, on the serface it looks like an overly simple game. But if you study the game it is a deeply involved game deemanding poper pattern play and cueball control to make any high runs.

One pocket is a game that will often give you many choices, but there is normally really only one or two correct shots.

Woody &lt;----- looking forward to his one pocket game on Friday /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tactics
02-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Can anyone hook me up with some rules for six-pocket? TIA

SecaucusFats
02-16-2005, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BROWN148:</font><hr> What different games would you recommend besides the basic Eight Ball and Nine Ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Straight (a.k.a. : 14.1 Continuous).

It was THE championship game for many decades. Mosconi, Crane, Balsis, all the greats played straight pool. ( 9 ball is the game today because it works better for TV and for the practically non-existent attention span of most of the viewing public.)

Playing straight pool will improve your abilities at just about every other game.

BTW, I don't know of any real self respecting straight pool player who calls it 14.1 Continuous. "Hey, I say old chap would you care for a game of 14.1 Continuous to 150?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman2
02-16-2005, 01:02 PM

<font color="blue"> Straight Pool, as opposed to Gay Pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
JJILGP!!!

Don't tackle the one pocket until you are a fair player. It will just frustrate you. The straight pool will make a great teaching tool if you are not already accomplished but if not get some help from an instructor or better player. Straight pool seems easier than it is until you learn the basic patterns and keep your wife from moving the break ball while racking....(sorry, off subject again!)

Good luck, you'll never regret learning this game until you want to find people to play it with in Podunkville... </font color>

Do yourself a favor and read the rules before playing.

Deeman
playing 14.1 tonight! Sorry SF

Deeman2
02-16-2005, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> But if you study the game it is a deeply involved game "deemanding" <font color="blue"> Woody, I assume this is a deferential reference to my play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> poper pattern play and cueball control
Woody &lt;----- looking forward to his one pocket game on Friday /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
<font color="green"> I grew up on, learned on and now love to just play Striaght Pool! I've played one pocket back in the days when it was a good way to make money ! but now that I enjoy the game more than I "use" it I love straight the most! it was the beginning of all the games and has all of the elements of the best of the rest! Position and Strategy are paramount in order to play it properly along with patience! Straight is a game that not only builds your game but also your character ! JMO! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rackin_Zack
02-16-2005, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>BTW, I don't know of any real self respecting straight pool player who calls it 14.1 Continuous. "Hey, I say old chap would you care for a game of 14.1 Continuous to 150?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I apologize for my uninformed faux pas! I suppose that I can't call my self a straight pool player anyhow since I never get to play it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif One of these days I will find someone to learn the game from.

Are there any good strait poolers in Missouri that can show me the light?!

dg-in-centralpa
02-16-2005, 02:48 PM
3 ball. A bunch of us get together after league to play 3 ball, $1 a round, one ties all tie. Keeps you on top of your game, one mistake and you lose.

DG

Bob_Jewett
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi BROWN148,

The answer depends a little on how well you play. While I agree that every real pool player eventually needs to learn one pocket, if you have no control over the cue ball yet, it's going to be real hard for you to play anything resembling one pocket. It can still be fun with someone about your own speed, though.

The printed version of the BCA rule book (available at most pool supply stores and in some Borders/Barnes&amp;Noble/etc.) has about 30 games listed. Each has something a little different that will help your other "main" games. For examples:

cut throat
bank pool
cowboy
(carom and snooker if tables are available)
cribbage
rotation

Rotation is what Efren plays to practice.

Good luck with your game.