PDA

View Full Version : playing against "that guy"

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 11:52 AM
I have a good friend of mine that i have known since i joined my intercollegiate pool team about a year and a half ago. When i started we were both "B" players. But after my first semester (with a little help from Scott Lee) i was able to move up and play in the "A" division. My friend is still in "B" to this day.

He has a bit of an attitude when he plays and seems to think that he can beat just about anyone on the team. He and i played a race to 9 in nine ball yesterday and I beat him 9-1.

I have tried a lot of different things to help this guy out because he gets stressed and goes on tilt really quick. I have even tried teaching him some of the secrets that i paid good money to learn from Scott Lee. This guy has told me that he wants to get better but i haven't seen any improvement.

I would to someday be able to have a friendly game with guy but he just gets too frustrated whenever he plays me and starts demanding that i give him the 7 out and stuff like that.

Any advice here. If things keep going the same the only person that i will be to play with is Shin (Deeman2, and SPetty know who i'm talking about).

Deeman2
02-17-2005, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I have a good friend of mine that i have known since i joined my intercollegiate pool team about a year and a half ago. When i started we were both "B" players. But after my first semester (with a little help from Scott Lee) i was able to move up and play in the "A" division. My friend is still in "B" to this day. <font color="blue"> Congratulations, you have a very nice game. No, I won't teach you the "put Ryushen in jail" shot... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

He has a bit of an attitude when he plays and seems to think that he can beat just about anyone on the team. He and i played a race to 9 in nine ball yesterday and I beat him 9-1. <font color="blue"> I see this all the time. They want to tell you how they play. If they knew what they were doing, they's be winning. </font color>

I have tried a lot of different things to help this guy out because he gets stressed and goes on tilt really quick. I have even tried teaching him some of the secrets that i paid good money to learn from Scott Lee. This guy has told me that he wants to get better but i haven't seen any improvement. <font color="blue"> He'll just have to mature a little. It takes some guys a while, some 40 years, some never. You can't help him until he realises he has probalems. Like an Alcoholic... </font color>

I would to someday be able to have a friendly game with guy but he just gets too frustrated whenever he plays me and starts demanding that i give him the 7 out and stuff like that. <font color="blue"> Choices, dump to him, give him the spot and break him, find other people to play... </font color>

Any advice here. If things keep going the same the only person that i will be to play with is Shin (Deeman2, and SPetty know who i'm talking about). <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Please say hello to Shin, a nice guy and a fine young player as you are.

Hope to see you guys at the next PettyPoint.... </font color>

Barbara
02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr>
I have tried a lot of different things to help this guy out because he gets stressed and goes on tilt really quick. I have even tried teaching him some of the secrets that i paid good money to learn from Scott Lee. This guy has told me that he wants to get better but i haven't seen any improvement.

<hr /></blockquote>

Forget it. He'll always moan and complain and he'll still never get better because he's just not trying and he's not going to try, either.

I know who "this guy" is. It's half my bar league team. One girl has a bar table at her house, yet never practices. And the other week she told me she wanted to buy that "Spider" aiming device!! I asked her why when she never practices in the first place. I have violated a lot of copyrights from a lot of books I have trying to help these people and it was just a waste of time and paper.

Save yourself and find someone else to play with. Seriously.

Barbara

MrLucky
02-17-2005, 12:09 PM
<font color="purple">Sadly everyone who has been in this game for any lenght of time knows a few of these types ! They are in every pool room and basementand even on these bulletin boards they know everything and do nothing! Just ignore them and let them hinder some other players game and attitude! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

loofnicnad
02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi!
That's a tough situation. I am a player who would have the potential of being "that guy" if I wasn't trying to improve my game. My friend and I play at least weekly in his home and he was far more advanced than me a year ago when I began to get serious. Now, I am much more competitive with him, although he is still more consistent.
The point here is, everyone has to make a choice and be responsible for the choices they make. Your friend has apparently made the choice to stay where he is and not work to become more competitive with you. He isn't happy about his choice but only he can choose to do what it takes to improve his game. You can make the choice to play more often with people closer to your own skill level so that you can receive the competitiveness that you need to keep your game level up and growing, and still save a game or two for your friend. Perhaps is he sees you moving on to play other, stronger players, he will be motivated to work on his game and come up to the level you are at.

Loof

heater451
02-17-2005, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Forget it. He'll always moan and complain and he'll still never get better because he's just not trying and he's not going to try, either.

I know who "this guy" is. It's half my bar league team. One girl has a bar table at her house, yet never practices. And the other week she told me she wanted to buy that "Spider" aiming device!! I asked her why when she never practices in the first place. I have violated a lot of copyrights from a lot of books I have trying to help these people and it was just a waste of time and paper.

Save yourself and find someone else to play with. Seriously.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>Some people are always looking for a "magic pill". However, I think the following zen parable often applies to long-time, want-to-improve players. I'm sure most of you have read it before, but for those who haven't:

Empty the Cup

A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen.

The master poured the visitor's cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself.

"It's overfull! No more will go in!" the professor blurted. "You are like this cup," the master replied, "How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup."

Renegade Zen (http://www.renegadezen.com)

=======================

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Hey Deeman,

I think you and the other posters may have this one pegged. I have tried to help this guy out. Even just simlpe things like "Relax, breathe, pull the pool cue out of your ass!" But he just doesn't get it. I know the guy has the potential to be an "A" player and has a lot of knowledge of the game but just doesn't apply it.

Anyways, i have the ACUI Region 12 billiards tournament this weekend. I need to practice and rest up. But please, feel free to share your advice or experiences.

p.s. Deeman2, i believe you alerady know the "put ryushen in jail shot" as you used it against me when we played one pocket. And thanks for the compliment. Shin says hi.

poolturtle
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Strangely, this reminds me of my ex-girlfriend.

She rarely plays, so I can easily beat her.

She'd suggest a game, we'd play, and I'd beat her. She'd get pissed.

We play again. I try to help her. She gets pissed. I beat her. Now she's more pissed.

We play again. I dump the game. She gets pissed.

(Anyone else noticing a pattern??????)

Final solution: Play the "avoid the pool table at all costs" game.

Turtle
Is now single and can play all he wants....