PDA

View Full Version : APA pool stick question

dvsmnstr
02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
hey guys, I have qualified for a $250 stick from the APA.. all of the cues I see are cuetec.. i'm not a huge fan of the fiberglass coating on other sticks but someone told me the cuetec sticks DO slide nice and easy and do not stick to your hand.. do any of you guys have these sticks? do you like the way they feel? are then nice and smooth sliding threw your fingers? thanks for any info.

Deeman2
02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> hey guys, I have qualified for a $250 stick from the APA.. all of the cues I see are cuetec.. i'm not a huge fan of the fiberglass coating on other sticks but someone told me the cuetec sticks DO slide nice and easy and do not stick to your hand.. do any of you guys have these sticks? do you like the way they feel? are then nice and smooth sliding threw your fingers? thanks for any info. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Hey, If Earl can shoot with one, who are we to say? However, my wife has one and I occasionally break with it if I don't want o put together my break cue and it does feel "sticky" to me. I have thought about some sylicon but would be afraid to get it on the tip. It does seema high percentage of people who play these cues use gloves, or maybe I have just imagined that, not really sure. </font color>

Good Luck, and congratulations on qualifying for the cue.

Deeman

SecaucusFats
02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> hey guys, I have qualified for a $250 stick from the APA.. all of the cues I see are cuetec.. i'm not a huge fan of the fiberglass coating on other sticks but someone told me the cuetec sticks DO slide nice and easy and do not stick to your hand.. do any of you guys have these sticks? do you like the way they feel? are then nice and smooth sliding threw your fingers? thanks for any info. <hr /></blockquote>

All of the APA Cuetecs (except the one with the "Thunderbolt" shaft) have the "Trueglide finish" which is not as 'sticky' as the old style Cuetec finish. The Trueglide finish can and does get somewhat sticky particularly when the humidity is high. You can keep some alcohol pads in your case (the kind you buy at the drug store for prepping for injections)and wipe the shaft down as needed to get rid of the stickiness. Frequent handwashing also helps a lot.

The "Thunderbolt" shaft is hard rock maple around a graphite core so it should feel like a normal maple shaft.

IMO, a glove should be your last resort as I have found that it interferes with the feel of the shot and speed control. Then again, some players love using a glove and have no problems with it so it's more a question of what works for each individual.

Deeman2
02-17-2005, 12:48 PM
SF,

Thanks for the info. I think Tori's is one of the old ones (origin unknown) but I'll have her try the alcohol wipe as well. It's the same one Allison hits with but I guess that model goes back to the older shaft days?????

Deeman

dvsmnstr
02-17-2005, 12:52 PM
someone mentioned something about a truglide gel that you put on the cuetec shafts every so often.. any info on that? thanks for the help guys. Someone also said something about selling the cuetec shaft to a cue dealer and buying a nice wooden one.

DebraLiStarr
02-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Someone also said something about selling the cuetec shaft to a cue dealer and buying a nice wooden one.

<font color="blue"> I have a cuetec and I have never had a problem with it. It's a great shooting cue. I have been told by many people that I can get a predator shaft made for my cue. I might do that if I have to, or I might just buy another cue, and I WOULD get another Cuetec. My game isn't at the level where I could justify buying one of the top cues such as a Joss, so I am very satisfied with the cue I have. </font color>

Rackin_Zack
02-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Debra, I'm living proof that you don't have to wait to get better to spend more on a cue...lol. I've spent thousands of dollars on cues and I still can't run three friggin' racks /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lord_shar
02-17-2005, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> Debra, I'm living proof that you don't have to wait to get better to spend more on a cue...lol. I've spent thousands of dollars on cues and I still can't run three friggin' racks /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm hoping my Schon CX61 is the last cue I purchase for a while, but given my compulsive buying nature, I doubt I'll be able to resist for long.

Rackin_Zack
02-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I hear you there. I have two cues being built right now and am about to put in an order for a custom Gilbert Jump/Break...lol. After these get in I'm done for a long while. (I've never said that before, honest!)

Okay, I have said that before but this time I mean it!

No, really, I do...lol!

ryushen21
02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
The "thunderbolt" shaft still has a weird finish on it. I sold one to a friend and he sanded it off. Then it felt very much like a normal shaft. but that was a lot of sanding for him to do. and it sure was funny to watch.

Popcorn
02-17-2005, 09:46 PM
You may have a minor catch 22 there. When I was a kid and started playing the guitar my dad bought me a Sears Silvertone guitar. The teacher said I needed a better guitar and when my dad said "Maybe when he gets a little better" the teacher said " He won't get much better playing that piece of junk". We went out and got a nice Gibson. What a difference. I could have never learned to play on the cheap guitar. You don't need a thousand dollar cue but something better then a cue-tec if you are serious about the game at all. Just my opinion

Rackin_Zack
02-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Sure you don't "need" a thousand dollar cue, but with me it's kind of a psychosis...lol.