PDA

View Full Version : I am thinking about starting a Straight Pool Leagu

MrLucky
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
<font color="red">In Atlanta, and I am looking for suggestions and guidance / ideas from anyone who has had any experience in running a league! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font color>

cuechick
02-18-2005, 05:41 PM
I would definitely play in it, what pool room are you planning to run it out of?

MrLucky
02-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I shoot now at
Mr Cues 2 on Chamblee Tucker ! I think as far as location and tables that would be a good spot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="red">In Atlanta, and I am looking for suggestions and guidance / ideas from anyone who has had any experience in running a league! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I play in a 14.1 league that includes four rooms in this area. The two guys who run the league keep combined ratings, I think.

The handicapping charts are in http://www.sfbilliards.com/14.1_charts.htm and a general explanation of how the handicapping works is in http://www.sfbilliards.com/NPL_info.txt The ratings are adjusted 3 points for each win or loss in the 14.1 league.

The basic idea of this system is used in several leagues around the country. It is very easy to keep the ratings. The ratings are almost guaranteed to be fair, and it is very hard to sandbag.

Most of the top players don't like fair games. In one room, the LO awards cash for the high run each night -- $1 for each ten balls (rounded down). There was an 81 this week worth an immediate $8. Last Tuesday the handcap in my match was 140-20 and I was saved when my opponent (who was the one going to 20) three-fouled.

Charge is $10/match and $4 of it goes towards the season-end top-four playoffs.

There is no league schedule other than when the playoffs are held. If you show up on league night, you get to play. If you want to play two matches in a night, and someone else does also, that's fine -- you get to play a second round. It's also OK to schedule a match for other nights as long as you report the score and pay for the match.

Standings points are 3 for a win and 1 for a loss, so it's good to play a lot of matches.

MrLucky
02-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks tons!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I play in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League. We usually have 4 divisions of about 8 players each.

The players of different skill levels are distributed evenly throughout each division. It works out ok because you get to play players of all different levels. We play a round robin within our division. No handicaps.

We don't have a specific league night. You call the people within your division and arrange a time to play. We try to play at least one match a week.

After the regular season we play playoff rounds in which the players are placed in brackets according to their ability.

Sometimes I wish it was handicapped but I don't know how well that would go over with the big guns. I would like to try it at least for a couple of sessions to see how it would work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

mksmith713
02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
They have a 14.1 league in the pool room where I usually play but I don't know how it's run.
I looked at the bulletin board and found that it is handicapped.
They charge $5.00 for the prize money and greens fees are paid by the loser of each match.
That pretty decent incentive to play well, huh?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-19-2005, 12:56 PM
In our league the greens fees are split evenly (special rate of $2.50 per hour per player). The match cost is $6.00. The winner gets back $5.00.

dmgwalsh
02-19-2005, 08:20 PM
I am in two straight pool leaguesa in the Chicago area. I'm playing the third session in one and finishing up the 1st session in the other. They are both handicapped. We play two matches with the same player per night once a week in these leagues. If you win both your handicap goes up 5, if you lose both it goes down 5, if you split, it stays the same. The house gets half of the money for table time, $20.00 per man in one league; The players get $5 per win, leaving $10 from each match going towards the winners pot at the end. In my league of 17 players, the top three got some money. The other league has about 23 players and I think they will be paying down a little further.

The handicaps range from about 40-175 in one league. The other league goes from about 70-190.

i'm not sure how Mr. Jewetts handicaps work or change from week to week. Initially in ours, one of the good players plays the prospective league member and they give him a number.

Dennis