PDA

View Full Version : Pool Injury/Flexibility

recoveryjones
02-18-2005, 09:24 PM
I just spent two sessions at the Chiropractors office trying to make sense of some back pain. My back is generally OK, however, when I play pool for 6-8 hrs at a time that's when the problems arise. Sometimes I had to stand up on the bus on the way home, because sitting was literally a pain in the as$, as well as the back,leg and foot.

At 48 yrs old my doctor has convinced me that I need to do a series of 10 stretches daily (20 minutes) or look forward to more problems down the road.
Right now I'm to keep off the table for a few days and having been off it for three days. It already has me experiencing withdrawels.

Does anyone out there use a stretching routine or have you experienced simuliar problems? I love the game too much and will do the work to come back. RJ

ps. Everyone tells me I have a nice stance so I don't think that it's the problem. I'm not getting any younger.

Rod
02-18-2005, 10:07 PM
RJ,

If you do your exercises you won't need the Chiropractor. I might see one every two years or not at all. Your doctor is dead on, do the exercises.

I do 5 different ones but it could be more. My main problem if left unattended is my ham strings. They get tight and if not stretched my lower back hurts and legs burn. I've had my right leg so bad my foot burns like hell and I limp on it. The muscles get tight/pinched in my lower back which causes the above.

I do them 3 times a week for longer periods. I also had lower back surgery about 5 years ago. Once doing them you start to realize which ones benefit most. You can stretch your ham strings by laying on your back. Take a towel, put it over the bottom of your foot. Keep your leg straight and extended. Use both hands and pull the towel so that foot is over your head, go slow at first and hold for 15 seconds. Keep your back flat, the other leg is bent /\ with foot on the floor, alternate legs. Even gives your arms a little workout. Try it if you have lower back problems or not.

People do it to themselves, I did. Sit up straight, don't slouch. Just a few good habits and it will feel much better. I'm a bit older than you so I know what can happen.

Rod

stickman
02-18-2005, 10:10 PM
I have the same problem occasionally. Mine is from my rheumatoid arthritus. I usually take a little extra medicine, and the stretching helps when you are stiff in the back. It takes a while to loosen up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
02-19-2005, 05:33 AM
I've had back problems since I was about 22 yrs old (I'm 62 now). The Dr. gave me a set of 2 or 3 exercises way back then that still are prescribed now by Dr's, physical therapists and chiro's.

I do them more regularly now that a few yrs have exacerbated my back problems and I don't have back problems when I do the exercises regularly. I think that had I done them regularly all these yrs I probably would not have experienced any back problems with pain going down my leg during the years from 22 to 62.

DO THE EXERCISES! (if you stop doing them the pain will return)

recoveryjones
02-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Guys, I'm going to spend 30-45 minutes doing 10 different stretches, (also icing my back)and then head off to the pool hall.I usually practice(drills) for 6 hrs every Friday and Saturday.

I have had two visits to the Chiropractor and my pain has been allievated.He wanted to book me for another two visits, however, I could see the $$$ signs in his eyes. I think what Rod(and Jim) said is true. If I do the stretches, I won't need the Chiropractor.

I'll put the back to the test today (after a good stretch) and see what happens.You older gentlemen on the forum have inspired me.Thanks, RJ

dmgwalsh
02-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Kev:
I've had some back pains, too. Sciatica which radiated down the left leg. stretching exercises cured them. There is a very good book out called Treat your own back by Robin McKenzie out of New Zealand which shows what you need to do.
ISBN 0-9597746-6-1
dENNIS

recoveryjones
02-19-2005, 10:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Kev:
I've had some back pains, too. Sciatica which radiated down the left leg. stretching exercises cured them. There is a very good book out called Treat your own back by Robin McKenzie out of New Zealand which shows what you need to do.
ISBN 0-9597746-6-1
dENNIS
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Dennis and others. I went to the pool hall and practised for 6 hrs straight doing various drills. I stretched(and iced) before, during and after and I'm only experiencing the slightest tinge of soreness.

I'll see if I can find that book you reccomended locally or order it for $10 from Amazon.None of us are getting any younger, LOL. RJ

Popcorn
02-20-2005, 04:39 AM
stretching is very important for everyone if you play pool or not. My wife does Yoga, she has been doing it for years. Our pool room is actually more an exercise room then a pool room. Treadmill, stair machine, jump ropes, heavy bag, weights. You got to stay in shape and keep that fat off, you only live once.

JimS
02-20-2005, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Thanks Guys, I'm going to spend 30-45 minutes doing 10 different stretches, (also icing my back)and then head off to the pool hall.I usually practice(drills) for 6 hrs every Friday and Saturday.

I have had two visits to the Chiropractor and my pain has been allievated.He wanted to book me for another two visits, however, I could see the $$$ signs in his eyes. I think what Rod(and Jim) said is true. If I do the stretches, I won't need the Chiropractor.

I'll put the back to the test today (after a good stretch) and see what happens.You older gentlemen on the forum have inspired me.Thanks, RJ

<hr /></blockquote>

You can take the "older gentelmen" crap and shove it. And I'll bet I speak for Rod too... (sorry couldn't resist being a grumpy ole fart) /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

recoveryjones
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Thanks Guys, I'm going to spend 30-45 minutes doing 10 different stretches, (also icing my back)and then head off to the pool hall.I usually practice(drills) for 6 hrs every Friday and Saturday.

<hr /></blockquote>

You can take the "older gentelmen" crap and shove it. And I'll bet I speak for Rod too... (sorry couldn't resist being a grumpy ole fart) /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

OK ya grumpy ole fart...LOL, I've shoved the older gentleman stuff where it appropriatly belongs and will respectfully never use it again.

Yesterday while I practised I was visited by a local pro named Jimmy Bear.Jimmy is now a nine ball pro, however in his hey day he was one of Canada's best snooker players, having been Canadian champion and played some in Britian.

Yesterday he ran a perfect 147 in snooker and has done so about 10 times in competition and at least 10 times in practice.
He recentley won our biggest 9 ball tourney which featured local pros John Horsfall, Paul Potier and Mike Vidas to name a few.He doesn't drink or do drugs, is thin and fit and I'm pretty sure he's at least 55 years(maybe 60) old.

Age wasn't a factor, so I respect your post.I'm 48 and I play lots of players half and 2/3 my age and plan on continuly improving my game as to kick some butt. Take care, RJ

jjinfla
02-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Perhaps you should cut down the amount of time you practice/play. You can only get so good. But it won't do you a bit of good if your back confines you to a chair.

Keep in mind that pain is your body telling you something is wrong. No pain, no gain is for the mind numb 18 year olds. It does not apply to people over 40.

Jake

FastJoey
02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
since a bad accident i have been the same way..one of the Best pieces of advice i can give anyone is to try to :1.when walking try to stand uprite as possible to the point you feel a foot taller..2.when sitting don't cross your legs sit perfectly uprite in a chair with a straight back no slouching (hard chair no cushion is best)...3.when standing around stand evenly on both feet and try to stand erect as possible again feeling like your a foot taller to stretch out the spine.....since you have this condition you must remember to constantly have perfect posture.this will help align your spine you will notice a difference after a few days...good luck and Best of health to u...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

silverbullet
02-22-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just spent two sessions at the Chiropractors office trying to make sense of some back pain. My back is generally OK, however, when I play pool for 6-8 hrs at a time that's when the problems arise. Sometimes I had to stand up on the bus on the way home, because sitting was literally a pain in the as$, as well as the back,leg and foot.

At 48 yrs old my doctor has convinced me that I need to do a series of 10 stretches daily (20 minutes) or look forward to more problems down the road.
<hr /></blockquote>

RJ,

That sounds like a bad bought of a lower back problem. OUCH!!!

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12, and the back problems started by 30. I took karate, so did a lot of stretching.Things got worse about age 47, was going to the chiropractor 2-3 days a week, stretching, but nothing was getting better. Then I could not go to the chiro for 6 months due to an insurance problem. I signed up for ‘Tai chi’ classes. They taught me how to stand, move in such a way that no stress was put into any body part, and how to move relaxed. My back and neck started getting better.

Then I started taking a new multi vite. About that time, I could not go to ‘tai chi’, and was not doing any exercises, but my back was still getting better. The vite had something in it called ‘MSM', a natural pain killer, sometimes found in ‘glucosamine’ products.

Then I found out about this back belt from the same company with the multi vite, claiming a new technology for pain blocking. I wanted to see if it worked, so got one for my husband who has real bad lower back. When he played pool with it on,he was totally pain free. Then, He did not want to take it off!!! I warned him that it only blocked pain, not fix the problem, and if playing for more than 4 hours resulted in pain, he should not wear the belt so that he could play six!!!The belt effectively reduces pain signals (in some people). I think things like this can be useful if used with ‘common sense’, but dangerous, if a person uses it to do more than their body is capable of doing, instead of listening to what their body is telling them!!!. I do not wear this, but the ‘tai chi’, which I returned to, and the glucosamine product with MSM does help me.

One thing you do not mention is weight. My husband’s back showed improvement with a small amount of weight loss, and I lost a bunch of weight the last year, so this may also be a factor in my back improvement, but this may not apply to you, if you are slim. LOL

Laura

Cane
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Gotta concur with Laura on two points. First, the MSM. I have degenerative bone disease and without the MSM and Glucosamine, I doubt I would play near as much as I do. Also, with 'some' martial arts. I am, well, let's say adept at Kempo, aka ShoriXXX Kempo (the XXX being any one of a dozen other suffixes or seperate words, depending on the province of origin of the art, but not to be confused with Kenpo) and that saved me a lot of pain in my time, just knowing how to move and how NOT to move. I've heard Tai Chi Chuan was better in that aspect than my art, but I'm old and not going to start anything new (hell, I can't even remember the OLD stuff), but it sure might be an avenue to consider. If not, then the MSM is cheap and it sure won't hurt anything. It was recommended to me by my orthopedic surgeon.

Later,
Bob

FastJoey
02-22-2005, 06:12 PM
loosing weight off the stomach definatly will help...also those of you with pain problems do you watch what kind of shoes you wear while standing long lengths of time? get a very comfortable pair of walking/running/tennis type of shoe to help cushion your steps...

nAz
02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
dude these two items has helped me over come my back pain... you may want to try some squatting with weights and build up your back muscles.

http://medball.com/images/gymnic/arte100.jpg
http://medball.com/images/gymnic/arte100.jpg

http://www.isokineticsinc.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/77712.jpg

web page (http://www.isokineticsinc.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=isokinetics&amp;Product_Code=cg _77712&amp;Category_Code=pr_tens)

recoveryjones
02-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks everyone for their wonderful suggestions....great people on this forum for sure, much appreciated.My back is fine for the moment, however, only acts up when I practice for 6 hrs at at a time on Fridays and Saturdays Back to back , pun intended.I get a great rate of $15 for as much practice as I can cram in between 10 am to 6 pm so I've been taking advantage and going for 6 or more hrs.It's my Zen time and I enjoy it.

The Chripractor said my back isn't seriously injured , however, with a 48 year old body, that I need to stretch. Someone mentioned Tia Chi and I was considering yoga.

I figured yoga would take care of the stretching aspects and the breathing/meditation/relaxation techniques taught might also help me in tournaments.I play very, very well in practice , however, seem to tighten up in tourneys and only play at 50% of my capabilities in most cases under pressure.When I have been able to relax, I've done well.My friend who has seen me practice said that if I bring my practice game out in the tourneys that I'd beat a lot of people for sure.

Can anyone attain to the benefits of yoga, meditation, breathing etc and how it's helped their mental game and back pain.I've heard that it's 80-90% women so in any case, I will be checking it out...LOL.

Other than that I could lose about 15lbs. RJ

jjinfla
02-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey nAz it looks like those two beauties would help me with my pain too. A nice massage with some nice oils. Just get rid of those balls. And that other contraption.

They remind me of the two gorgeous nurses who had to shave me. A partial shave one week and a full body shave the next. I was in heaven.

Jake