PDA

View Full Version : "Here's the Answer" revisited

Bassn7
02-19-2005, 12:57 AM
After reading the posts, I've been enlightened. I believe that two distinct functions are completed during the shot: aim and then the strokes prior to the shot. What I believe is a huge assistance to achieving great shooting is the "strokes prior to the shot", having nothing to do with the aiming portion of the routine. If it takes 5 strokes to find your aim and 2 to pull the trigger . . . then it is the 2 strokes that should be consistant, regardless of the type of shot. I see numerous people just fire in a "hanger" because it doesn't require much aiming. I simply suggest that since aiming didn't need numerous pre-stokes, that the "prepare to fire strokes" still remain at 2. What do you think?

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> After reading the posts, I've been enlightened. I believe that two distinct functions are completed during the shot: aim and then the strokes prior to the shot. What I believe is a huge assistance to achieving great shooting is the "strokes prior to the shot", having nothing to do with the aiming portion of the routine. If it takes 5 strokes to find your aim and 2 to pull the trigger . . . then it is the 2 strokes that should be consistant, regardless of the type of shot. I see numerous people just fire in a "hanger" because it doesn't require much aiming. I simply suggest that since aiming didn't need numerous pre-stokes, that the "prepare to fire strokes" still remain at 2. What do you think? <hr /></blockquote>

That sounds closer to what happens when I shoot, so I hope it's correct /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My first couple of strokes are slower and more deliberate, as I'm marking my spot on the cueball, checking my aim, and making sure I don't need to shift anything. Then I have two or three (I don't count) "real" practice strokes to dial in the speed and shoot.

SpiderMan

02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey, Bassn7, thanks for a TERRIFIC wake-up call! I haven't used that particular psychological "trigger" in many, many moons, but I did tonight in my 14.1 league (and I won). Not only did I see definite improvements, but they came at some highly significant junctures in the match. Thanks again! GF