View Full Version : How good r u?

TheYid
02-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Wondered how good u all r?

My personal "best" is:

Straight pool: 56 balls
9-ball: 3 consecutive clearence
8-ball: 7 consecutive clearence

All of these "records" happend in 1991-1993, not so good any more /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't think much about consecutive racks in 9-ball and 8-ball. I feel like I get out when I'm supposed to for a player my speed. I played a lot of straight pool in the 70's and have run lots 100s +, (Trust me it was no big deal, if you went to NY there was a guy on every corner who ran hundreds), but am most proud of a 96 ball run on a very tough table with pockets around 4 inches. This table was famous for making good players look bad. Mosconi was there to do an exhibition and that table was in the best place to watch, so they set it up for him to play there. He shot one rack and had all the chairs moved to another table. I am sure he would not have had a problem but it is an exhibition and people don't want to be seeing him missing balls.

recoveryjones
02-19-2005, 10:44 PM
I've ran two nine ball racks in a row a half a dozen times and three in a row only once.95% of the time my succesive rack records die because of a unsatisfactory (bad cue ball location) break.

I've also ran a few two packs in 8 ball.I'm rated an A level player in my hometown, however, I've been told that A level players here are mearly B or C+ rated in the Phillipines or Taiwan.I think they give A, A+ and Pro ratings out much, much too easy here.

I'm a much better player practising (when God is watching ..LOL..) than in competition. Today I broke my previous record of 38 consecutive balls and ran 49 balls(numerically 1-12) in a row doing this (kinister) drill.I've done this excellent 9 ball drill hundreds of times.The idea is to run the balls numerically from 1-12. After you make the 12 ball be sure to position yourself good on the one and keep running racks.

START(
%Ag9Z6%BN9D2%Cg7X8%DN9E9%Eg6V8%FN9G7%Gg7D1%HO1Z4%I g7E6%JO0X3
%Kg7G4%LO0V3%Mt3B0%Nt4B0%Ot6B0%PY2U4
)END

WEI TABLE
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Given the fact that Mosconi ran 600 and some balls and that I can't seem to bring (very often) my practice game to the big dance, I'm still basically a fish. RJ

Cueless Joey
02-19-2005, 11:12 PM
3 balls in a row today.
I was on speed. Does that count? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rackin_Zack
02-20-2005, 01:43 AM
My Q-Skill score is 761 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
02-20-2005, 04:28 AM
What does that actually mean?

pooltchr
02-20-2005, 07:20 AM
If you give me BIH on every shot, I can usually clear a 9-ball rack in 10 innings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman2
02-20-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheYid:</font><hr> Wondered how good u all r?

<font color="blue"> The older I get, the better I used to be! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

My personal "best" is:

Straight pool: 56 balls
9-ball: 3 consecutive clearence
8-ball: 7 consecutive clearence

<font color="blue">Very good but you need to get older and lose some more memory cells before you get really good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

<hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
02-20-2005, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If you give me BIH on every shot, I can usually clear a 9-ball rack in 10 innings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="purple"> Ive seen him play and thats true! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
02-20-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you need to get older and lose some more memory cells before you get really good.

<hr /></blockquote>

I must be approaching greatness!

~~~rod, great at not remembering

mksmith713
02-20-2005, 08:29 AM
I still consider myself a newbie to the game, having played off and on for about 2 years.
Summer and my sons baseball season always seems to get in the way......LOL
I don't really keep track while I'm practicing but I have been playing an a little weekly 8 ball tournament for the last 2 months and the best I've done so far is 2 consecutive break and runs.
Not a big feat for most who post here but it's a major feat for me.
Heck, I almost had myself fooled into thinking that I knew what I was doing....... Then I went back to stinking the joint up as usual.........LOL

MrLucky
02-20-2005, 09:11 AM
<font color="purple">Hey Man ! Don't sell yourself short! 2 break and runs is a good thing! I've been playing over 40 years and 2 in a row is a special event! If I was breaking and running every game I would be on ESPN not here talking about it! LOL! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChuckR
02-20-2005, 10:08 AM
At my age I consider not missing a ball between having to go pee quite an accomplishment. I would only be interested in straight pool runs. Chuck

MrLucky
02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> At my age I consider not missing a ball between having to go pee quite an accomplishment. I would only be interested in straight pool runs. Chuck <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="purple">Yep Chuck I am with you on that Straight pool runs are the thing indeed! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
02-20-2005, 10:36 AM
LOL !!!

Rackin_Zack
02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> What does that actually mean? <hr /></blockquote>

It's a test to guage your game. I've been working on doing this again since my lesson with Mark Wilson and after 5 sets I am averaging 109.6 which is on pace for a score of 1096. Here's the rules and scoring breakdown:

1. Rack fifteen balls on the Foot Spot, in any order, and place the cue ball ON the Head Spot. Break the balls. If you miscue or miss the cue ball completely, it is a foul. Re-Rack, break again and subtract one from your score. If you miscue and contact the rack, you may choose to continue shooting, leaving the balls where they lie and not take a foul.

2. If you scratch on the break, it is a minus 1, unless the cue ball goes off the table, then it is a minus 2. After a scratch on the break, you may place the cue ball on either the Head Spot of Foot Spot and shoot any ball on the table, or place the cue ball anywhere behind the Head String and shoot any ball above the Head String. On the break, if you scratch or the cue ball goes off the table, all balls made on the break stay down but do not count as points. If you do not scratch on the break, then all balls made on the break count as one point each.

3. After the break, if you do not have a shot or do not like the shot you have, you may choose one of three options. (a) Place the cue ball anywhere behind the Head String and shoot any ball above the Head String. (b) Place the cue ball on either the Head Spot or the Foot Spot and shoot any ball.
(c) Place the rack over the cue ball (where it lies) and move the cue ball anywhere inside the rack and shoot any ball. All of the options noted above are a penalty and incur a minus 1.

4. After the break, whether you made a ball or not, proceed to shoot, calling each shot. Try to run the table, shoting the ball in any order UNTIL THERE ARE FIVE BALLS REMAINING. If you do pocket ten balls, then the last five balls must be shot IN ROTATION (in numerical order starting with the lowest number ball). If you MISS A SHOT, the rack is OVER. There are no second chances or mulligans! The first ten balls score 1 point each, and the last five balls score 2 points each. On each rack you can score a MAXIMUM of 20 points.

5. When there are six balls on the table and you pocket two or more balls in one shot, they all stay down and are each worth 1 point. Shoot the remaining balls in rotation, in which each ball is worth 2 points each.

6. Ten racks comprise a session. In one session you can score a maximum of 200 points. The score from TEN SESSIONS (100 racks) determines your Official Rating. The highest possible Official Rating is a perfect score of 2000 points.

Here is the Rating System:

0-300 - Recreational Player
301-600 - Intermediate Player
601-900 - Advanced Player
901-1200- Developing Pro
1201-1600 - Semi-Pro
1601-1800 - Pro
1801-2000 - Touring Pro

pooltchr
02-20-2005, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If you give me BIH on every shot, I can usually clear a 9-ball rack in 10 innings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="purple"> Ive seen him play and thats true! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the help, friend. Now how many games do I get on the wire???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrLucky
02-20-2005, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If you give me BIH on every shot, I can usually clear a 9-ball rack in 10 innings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="purple"> Ive seen him play and thats true! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the help, friend. Now how many games do I get on the wire???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">I was backing you up buddy! LOL! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 08:01 AM
It's one of the variants of "equal offense" type solitaire games. It basically measures you on shotmaking and position play (runout skills), but not on defensive moves and tactical play. I personally believe Fargo is a better game, as it incorporates the additional judgement requirements for switching the equal-offense "straight-pool" run to rotation during the rack.

There are online Fargo tournaments, Rod Elliot is an expert and probably wins if he participates.

I think that knowing a player's Fargo average would tell me more about his skill level than knowing his straight-pool scores or 9-ball racks run. This is assuming that he plays Fargo often enough to be statistically significant.

SpiderMan

Rackin_Zack
02-21-2005, 08:05 AM
The last 5 balls are to be run in rotation in Q-Skill. What are the rules and scoring breakdowns of Fargo?

SPetty
02-21-2005, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> The last 5 balls are to be run in rotation in Q-Skill. What are the rules and scoring breakdowns of Fargo? <hr /></blockquote> http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/#rules

It's a lot like Q-skill, except you choose when to start playing in rotation, rather than having it always be the last five balls. The sooner you start the rotation playing, the higher your score.

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> The last 5 balls are to be run in rotation in Q-Skill. What are the rules and scoring breakdowns of Fargo? <hr /></blockquote> http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/#rules

It's a lot like Q-skill, except you choose when to start playing in rotation, rather than having it always be the last five balls. The sooner you start the rotation playing, the higher your score. <hr /></blockquote>

That's correct. It allows the superb player to out-score the exceptionally-good player by going for the rotation runout sooner. Balls shot in rotation count double.

If you played 10 racks and shot all rotation, it is possible to score 300, but that is all but unachievable by mortals. That's one of the good points about Fargo, the best players can still be differentiated from one another because no one tops out the scale.

Most of us should live in fear of anyone who can regularly top 200.

SpiderMan

Rod
02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Well, I don't know about being an expert but when I played it a lot, I played pretty sporty. The key is where you rack the balls and break speed. Since the balls can be racked in any order it is legal.

Running 15 ball runs in rotation sure helps the score. In general though one can score very well if they run off the last 6 to 9 balls in rotation. Obviously the important thing is don't miss whether random or in rotation. I'm not aware of any tournaments now, I just played once at playpool.com.

Rod

Rackin_Zack
02-21-2005, 12:29 PM
What if you try to start the rotation early but get out of line? Can you go back to normal to preserve the run and lose the bonus points for the previous ones or is it once you consciously start to run in rotation you are committed?

Rod
02-21-2005, 12:46 PM
You are committed. Obviously you score higher running more balls in rotation, but if you get to greedy it backfires. You really have to know you can run the balls. Here is a strategy - you have 6 balls left, you can run the first four in rotation but the other two are tied up. If you switch to rotation you get 8 points for sure, rather than 6 points.

Rod

Rackin_Zack
02-21-2005, 12:59 PM
That's what I figured but I thought I'd check to make sure. Do you do 10 sets of 10 like in q-skill or do you just evaluate after each set of 10? Is there a break down of if you score "this" you are about "here" skill wise?

Rod
02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Zach,

I suppose you can do as many as you want. The more you do gives you a better overall average of how you play. I played in an online tournament which was 1 set of 10 games per week. Here is a link for a better understanding of rules and rating. FARGO (http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/fargo6.html)

Rod

LJC_Cues
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I have done pretty good I guess!
Does making the 9 or 8 on the break count?
One Pocket= 2 break and runs! 8 and out!! I couldn't believe I did the first one!! Which was over a year ago!! I did the second a month ago! I know not consecutive but its one pocket.

Bank Pool= Banked 4 in a row then it went down hill!
9ball= Ran 3 racks in a row once and then on another ocassion if you count making the 9 on the break I did 7! 5 of them I made the 9 on the break
8ball= I ran 3 racks but if you count making the 8 on break then 4!
14.1= 62 balls
The thing I am most proud and astonished is one pocket it feels great to do a break in run in that! I guess because I dont see many run outs in one pocket from the break!

PastPrime
02-22-2005, 08:52 PM
I've run a few racks of 8-ball and 9-ball but I'm proudest of running 4 games of six and out on snooker tables (once on a 12' and three times on a 10'.) That's using regulation pool balls on the snooker tables. One owner put up a plaque next to the table giving the date when I did it on his because no one had ever done that before. For some reason I can play this game well and can kick and position the ball better than I can shoot straight! Of course I've played the game for the past 30 years on many, many different tables. I gave a 85 rated 9-ball player 5 pockets a while back and beat him out of $400.

Rod
02-22-2005, 10:12 PM
That's pretty sporty using pool balls. I have three times on a 12 footer and I don't remember how many times on a 10 footer. That was with snooker balls though. I gave half the long rail table. I got the first lag and run out. That one was on a 10 footer.

Rod