PDA

View Full Version : Pool World Mourns Loss of Johnny Ervolino

Tom_In_Cincy
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
AZBilliards Story (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storyb.cfm?storynum=2484)

Billy
02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> AZBilliards Story (http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storyb.cfm?storynum=2484) <hr /></blockquote>

it didn't say how old he was?

he was playing still jam-up pool when I saw him in Vegas last year,Ervolino was competitive.

I already miss his raspy-gangsta voice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rip

02-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Johnny would have been 70 this spring. The very first pool piece I ever published (in '76, in The National Billiard News) was largely about him; I was intrigued by the man ever since I first heard of him. He'll be missed. GF

Sid_Vicious
02-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I got to see him in 2002 playing Parica in 1-P, Johnny was quite a fun guy to watch. Thanks for the post, I'll let a local player who happenes to know Johnny very well know the news. Sid

ChuckR
02-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I have an acustat tape and he is narrating a straight pool match between Zuglan and Seigel. Just listening to his insight into the game along with the raspy voice takes you back to the days when "the real game" was being played. I hope someone places a fresh cube of chaulk in his pocket before he is laid to rest. God bless. Chuck

poolguppy
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Johnny will most definitely be missed. I will never forget the first time I met Johnny in 1991. He was a friend of the owner of the pool room that I used to be at every day. The first time I saw him play he was "warming up", and ran over 200 balls. The owner of the room was the victim of this beating. about half way thru the match Johnny looked at me and hey kid give him a break and rack the balls for him, we struck up a great friendship at that point.

I have several other very fond memories of Johnny, both as a friend and as a champion.

Voodoo Daddy
02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
I heard the news Monday...sad doesnt describe my feelings.

DickLeonard
02-23-2005, 01:20 PM
VOODOO DADDY I had a ten game match with Johnny at Olympic Bowl in Rochester in the mid 60s. Everytime I did something
he never seen before he would stop me and ask me did I play that shot that way.

Most NYC players always played the nuts after the three days he told me when he got back to NYC he was going to practice cutting those backcut breakshots.

What always amazed me was that people backed him handicapping horses at the NYC tracks. Then in Vegas they backed him at the crap table. It seemed like he knew how to bet on craps that gave him the edge.####