PDA

View Full Version : Remove ink stain from wood

Rod
02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Ya I know, it's non pool related but I thought some cue makers might know. Besides cues are wood so it's sort of related. LOL

I have a pine table that appears to have ink stains. It has soaked down in to some degree so I'm not sure what will take it out. Even lessen it to a degree would help. I see some professional ink removers but I haven't a clue if they work on bare wood. I am refinishing so what ever works.

I've tried, windex, 409, light bleach solution, grease and wax remover, enamel thinner, and denatured alchol so far. Laquer thinner might work or help but at the moment I'm out.

Any suggestions from some first hand experience?

Rod

landshark77
02-20-2005, 02:19 PM
OK Rod, this is really stupid, but have you tried the magic eraser??

Rod
02-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Why yes I have. It helped a little but it only works on the surface. I need something to disolve/dilute ink in the wood. It isn't real heavy, actually it's kind of light.

Rod

tateuts
02-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Rod,

Certain inks will dissolve quite quickly when exposed to Acetone. Acetone is even more powerful and fast than lacquer thinner, yet it won't harm the wood. Just keep rubbing - I bet it works. That would be my first choice.

You can also try white vinegar or chlorine bleach.

Chris

Rod
02-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks Chris,

While I can never be sure what type of ink, Acetone, laquer thinner , and vinegar had no effect. I think after a 1/2 hour of testing I am pretty sure this ink is set. Had I noticed a sight improvment I would have keep going. Never tried amonia but this stain is set very well. Looks like I have to live with it.

Rod

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Rod,

If it's some type of ball-point ink, there are product that fade it out rather than actually remove it. You might do a google search on word combinations of ink and hypochorite or ink and thiosulphate. These are the same products that crooks use to fraudulently alter checks.

If it's india ink, which I think is a water-based dispersion of carbon particles, you probably are stuck with it.

SpiderMan

Rod
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
It didn't appear to be from a ball point. It was used as a computer desk so who knows. Maybe from an ink cartrige or a black marker. Although it looks better than when I first started, it's there for good. I just put on a coat of polly so it is sealed.

I refinished another table that had an ink stain as well. I must be the only one that gets these things. The ink appeared to be gone. After a couple of coats though, it come back to the surface. It doesn't look bad just darker grain lines in that area.

Rod

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Rod,

I know you've tried the bleach but you might try it a little stronger and set it out in the sun (I know you have plenty of that there). Repeated applications under sunlight will surely fade it some.

Good Luck....

Deeman

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> It didn't appear to be from a ball point. It was used as a computer desk so who knows. Maybe from an ink cartrige or a black marker. Although it looks better than when I first started, it's there for good. I just put on a coat of polly so it is sealed.

I refinished another table that had an ink stain as well. I must be the only one that gets these things. The ink appeared to be gone. After a couple of coats though, it come back to the surface. It doesn't look bad just darker grain lines in that area.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Other ideas:

A. Call it snakewood, it'll impress most folks.

B. Stain the whole top with india ink....

C. Place a nice potted plant strategically over the stain.

D. Make up a good murder story surrounding the stain.

E. Do an exorcism....
</font color>

Rod
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll choose C until I can think of a doozie.

~~~rod, never exorcisted, assisted or unassisted