PDA

View Full Version : this situation has come up , right or wrong to do

justbrake
02-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I was playing in a tounament game today and this situation came up where the 1 ball was down and the 2 ball was down table next to the pocket and I was blocked by a ball in the middle of the table I could have kicked at it but there was a good possiblity that I might have scratched or left him a shot afterwards but I seen this combo next to me, it was a 3-9 not dead but very makable and dicided to break it up instead (and I did) and my oponent said he has never seen that before , truthfully I have never seen it either but I didn't want to take a chance of giving him a game,anyway another time when I playing in another game the nine is hanging in a pocket and i'm blocked and I don't have a kick shot I put the nine in , I think it's the only chance that your oponent doesn't have a cheap win! what do you think of this would you have done the same or not?

PQQLK9
02-20-2005, 04:55 PM
yes

mksmith713
02-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Absolutely you did the right thing.
No sense giving him an easy win.
As long as you stay under the three foul rule, why not.
Make him shoot em all.....
You never know when he might pull a bonehead and give you the table back.

tateuts
02-20-2005, 07:30 PM
If there is any doubt that you can cleanly kick the two ball, then for sure break up (or in this case sink) the dead 3-9 combination. Be careful to note where the 9 ball will be spotted to make sure there's not another dead combo sitting there - most embarassing!

Even better is to reverse the two, for example to tap the 3 behind the 9. That way you break up the easy combo and mess up the run out.

The rule of thumb is, when the kick looks hopeless, the best
thing to do is mess up the table. The easiest way to mess up the table is to tap a lower number ball to a position that blocks a shot on it.

Here's a typical manuever:

START(
%Al2V9%BH1Q5%Ck9F1%Dh9D7%ER9E0%Fa6Q2%GL3S6%H_4L4%I R7G6%Pm8W1
%Ul8H4%Vm7V8%Yj8E2%Zk2E5
)END

WEI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/)

Chris

justbrake
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
this is what I had and I pushed the 3 towards the seven on the rail , it would have been a hard runout to get on the 7 and 8 that was for sure after the push, he says (I never seen that before)

START(
%A[3\2%BE5F4%Cg7K0%DT3K3%ED0L6%FQ2D6%Ge6D6%H`9D0%Ii2L 1%JB2\5
%K[5\6%LB3[8%MB2]0%NB4\0%OC1B5%Ph0O1
)END

tateuts
02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
If the balls were sitting just like that (which I know is hard to show) I would have definitely come up behind the 2 two rails and kick it as shown. The cueball usually stops or stays down table if you hit the two pretty full, hit with enough speed to separate the balls. It's a good shot to practice. you can manipulate the cue ball with english - which takes off the second rail.In this case, inside english helps kill the cueball:

START(
%A[3\2%BE5F4%Cg7K0%DT3K3%ED0L6%FQ2D6%Ge6D6%H`9D0%Ii2L 1%JB2\5
%K[5\6%LB3[8%MB2]0%NB4\0%OC1B5%Ph0O1%UH6D0%Vg0N7%W_0Y5%XF3F9
%Yp2R0%Z`9Z8%_D3F1%`C3D9%aG3C6
)END

However, coming straight at the 2 ball one rail is asking for a scratch and a loss. I think you made the right move if you thought the 2 ball kick was risky. The shot would be to nudge the 3 ball up in front of the 7 ball.

Chris

Rod
02-20-2005, 11:04 PM
It depends on level of opponent or if your comfortable shooting a kick. If he had never seen it then your at an advantage. The strategy is elementary per-say but if your opponent is smart it may come back to haunt you.

Personally I would have kicked two rails behind the two. The two goes up table and the c/b stops or bumps the 5. Depending on level even if they don't get out, giving up ball in hand can be a huge disadvantage. You played a smart shot, especially if you did not like the kick.

Rod

pooltchr
02-21-2005, 05:37 AM
If the percentages say you will probably be giving up ball in hand, you have to take away the easy out for your opponent. You did the right thing.
Steve

c.holtz009
02-21-2005, 07:11 AM
No doubt you did the right thing.
I was in a small tournament a couple of years ago and had a similar situation, so I knocked the nine (which was hanging) into the corner pocket. The guy I was playing was completely livid that I had done such a thing. I guess he figured he had an easy win, and I took it away from him.

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you made the reasonable choice. You judged that you were likely to give up ball-in-hand anyway, so you did your best to make the table less runnable.

Any time you find that you are trapped and certain to foul, don't spend time figuring out how to make a hail-Mary hit. Instead, accept that you will foul and use your shot to ruin the opponent's layout as much as possible.

I've seen players (particularly in APA) who will just hand the opponent the cueball. Maybe this is OK for a beginner, who might make his situation worse by trying anything, but for an intermediate player it is usually just dumb. There is almost always something you can do to damage your opponent.

SpiderMan

Barbara
02-21-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>I've seen players (particularly in APA) who will just hand the opponent the cueball. Maybe this is OK for a beginner, who might make his situation worse by trying anything, but for an intermediate player it is usually just dumb. There is almost always something you can do to damage your opponent.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Spidey,

Being new to the APA, I was appalled when I saw my teammate do this. She was playing an S/L 8 that was running out. And that's exactly what she handed him - another runout.

When the situation comes up where I'm hooked and can't make the kick, I'm going to show them what an intentional foul can really do to your opponent.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I had the same thing happen to me in league years ago. After the break, I had no shot and had to push. With the table wide open, nothing touching a rail, it was a perfect runout table. I pushed to tie up several balls. The guy who I was playing, a legend in his own mind, told me I was nuts. He didn't understand why I did that. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

DG

MrLucky
02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
<font color="purple"> IMO! this was the right thing to do! I have been told I played "dirty pool" doing similar things in a game but in my opinion that is why the BIH rule is used!!! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

poolturtle
02-21-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been told I played "dirty pool" doing similar things in a game but in my opinion that is why the BIH rule is used!!! <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. Most of the players who would say that to you are usually just pissed because they're not that creative and wouldn't have thought of it themselves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChuckR
02-21-2005, 06:04 PM
I think anyone that has any pool experience whatsoever would do what you did. If you don't have a shot, don't leave one!!! Chuck

Keith Talent
02-22-2005, 03:12 AM
So you think you were stuck? Tonight, I was in that position twice in a hill-hill game.

First time, I hit a cross-over bank on the 9 to send it to the other end of the table. 1 foul ... then my opponent managed to send the 1 right up next to the 9 again, at the other end, freezing me behind the 2 on the foot end. Here was major desperation, and I shot directly through the 2, almost surely a double-hit, hoping to disturb the 1-9 uptable, which I somehow managed to do, but now I'm on 2.
And, naturally, the chance was there to lock me up on the 1 again, and this time I had to kick at it, barely missing, jacking up and reversing the cb off the rail.

Sick feeling to lose that way, but had to hand it to my opponent for playing 3 brutal safeties like that. Also sick that I'd blown a runout in the previous game ... but, there was payback in the next set, when he blew his chance, and I managed to run out to break even, at least. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif