PDA

View Full Version : 9ball breaks/one ball side pocket

05-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Hello, I'm new to this site so forgive me if this topic has been exhuasted. I'm trying to work on my breaks and I'd really like to learn how to get the one ball in the side pocket. I've seen this done consistantly by Efren and Strickland.

05-30-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm new here, but I thought I'd give my humble opinion.

My suggestion is learn how to run before you walk. Efren and Earl didn't build their careers on counting on that one-ball break. There are two things that are exponentially worse than not making a ball on the break; they are scratching on the break and making a ball, but leaving whitey hopelessly buried on the break.

Think of your breaking ability in linear terms...like a pool cue. The butt end represents power, the shaft end represents control. The balance point of your cue represents your optimal break. In the beginning your optimal break might need to closer to the shaft (control) end. As you learn to hit the ball harder and still maintain control your optimal break will migrate farther and farther towards the power end of the scale. In a nutshell when it comes to breaking if you have a choice between power and control - ALWAYS OPT FOR CONTROL.

05-30-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi AGM,
First, I'd like to say Welcome! Secondly, I'd like to congratulate you for debuting with a subject that has actually not been exhausted! I have no idea how the one goes into the side for these pros so consistently, so I too am anxiously awaiting the answers you will get. I have a feeling though, that where the rack is spotted has something to do with it. I vaguely recall hearing that the one was dropping all the time because the rack was being spotted higher on the table due to the Sardo use. Has anyone else heard this?

Eric.
05-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Hi AGM,

You need to have a good power break first. For normally racked balls, the stroke is a hard "punch" stroke. You use 3/4 of a tip of bottom and aim to hit the one almost head on. Aim to a spot on the one from where you are breaking from, not the front of the one as viewed from the head of the table. Position the Q ball about 4" from the side rail and pop the Q ball vs. smooth stroking it. Unfortunately, I'm not the best teacher, I can show but can't tell. Hope this helps.

P.S.-the Q ball should pop a couple of inches straight up upon contacting the one ball.

Eric >now if only the rest of my game were good...

Scott Lee
05-30-2002, 07:36 PM
AGM...First of all, recognize that NOBODY, not even Efren or Earl, make the one in the side on the break very consistently. Making it 50% of the time would be enormous success! You should be more concerned with trying to just make a ball, and control the CB.

Eric's post was pretty close, but imo, you should aim to hit the CB DEAD center, and the one ball straight on, like he described. It doesn't matter if you're 1", 2", or 4" off the rail. NO draw, top, or english. Shoot straight at the one ball, with a very firm stroke (I call this 4 rail speed, and it means hitting the CB so that it will travel up and down the table, hitting four cushions longways). That's how you practice your break stroke, to learn the correct speed. A lag, or 2-rail speed, is a soft shot. A medium speed shot should travel 3 cushions.

The other post about considering control over power is right on the money! The best break is not about how hard you can break...it's about how smooth your stroke is, hitting the CB EXACTLY where you want to, contacting the head ball perfectly, and shooting the correct speed.

Scott Lee

Nostroke
05-30-2002, 07:37 PM
From what ive seen Karen Corr makes it pretty consistently with the tight rack that is

stickman
05-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Shoop, I agree with opting for control. Personally, I don't think a terribly strong power break is necessary. Like Scott Lee has said, four rail speed is sufficent. I can scatter balls from one end of the table to the other with this speed. What more do I want? I try to make the one in the side by hitting it dead center from the side of the table with a center ball hit on the cue ball. I use a normal stroke with follow through. I hope to leave the cue ball in the middle of the table. I feel the odds are best of me having a shot on the next ball from this position on the table. I make the one often (probably not a real high percentage, but often) and come close when I don't make it. Control is the key, not how hard you hit it.

Chris Cass
05-30-2002, 11:45 PM
I don't know about that Scott. I was doing alright till you did something to the rack on Jim's Diamond Pro that 11 hr. day. LOL I wanted so much to power break but, the cut break was ok I guess.

Your friend,

C.C.~~when are ya coming to town? I missed ya in Vegas.

05-31-2002, 12:16 AM
Yeah i agree with all of the opinions on control over power, but if you could make the one ball in the side like Karen Corr or Cory Duelle does it would be nice. I know sometimes i get beat solely because i dont make a ball on the break, even tho i am racking out. The break isnt practiced near enough. Making a ball on the break is crutial to being good at nineball. I have seen guys in my room try to Split the 1 ball in half, and knock the cueball off the table half the time, and i tell them they are breaking too hard, but i have also seen guys in my room that hit them just as hard and make 2 or three balls on the break and keep the cueball on the table all the time. If i try and hit them hard i knock the ball off the table so i just try and make a ball and keep the cueball under control. We are playing on Simonis cloth for crying out loud, the balls are gonna get a rollin good with a med. hard break anyway.

Lewie

Rod
05-31-2002, 04:31 AM
Scott I used the same break as you mentioned. I was over 50% that night, good night. Center ball, slight elevation on the cue. It's a tough nut to crack, unless of course the 9 ball is on the spot, and even then there is no guarantee.
But I think 50% would be reailistic in this case, with practice.

PoolFan
05-31-2002, 07:39 AM
Just like Scott Lee and others have pointed out, a controlled break is more important than a sloppy power break. Consistently making a ball means nothing, if you consistently have a bad first shot. Squatting the QB in the center of the table is most important.

Some tables break differently. I once watched an Accu-Stat video of Varner vs. Sigel at the US Open. Out of 21 breaks, 20 times the corner ball went directly into the corner pocket. In this situation, these guys knew that the corner ball was dead and they focused on playing position off the break for the one ball. One of the most excellent Accu-Stats video ever, BTW. Point is, some tables give up the corner ball in the corner pocket others consistently give up the one ball in the side.

In response to Lorri, you are correct the Sardo does have something to with this. At last years US Open, it was decided that the corner ball was dead for the corner pocket. They moved the rack up to spot the 9 ball on the spot. Corey Duel, with his infamous soft break, found that he could make the one ball in the side every time. This is how he killed Mika in the finals. Not only that, but if you watch the match, the placement of the balls were always the same. This meant Corey could make the one ball and he would have the same cut shot on the 2 ball in the corner. This is why the soft break and the cut break have become so popular. When a tournament is using the Sardo, players try the soft and cut breaks to pocket the one in the side.

Controlled breaks are the priority. Once you have that, pay attention to how the table breaks, not only when you break, but when others break too. All the pros watch their opponents break and if they see something that works, they try it.

Scott Lee
05-31-2002, 07:41 AM
Chris...I did NOTHING to the rack at Jim's house. I just know HOW to rack! LOL We could probably have some kind of competition with me racking, and you breaking, and me betting you don't make the one in the side! LOL But, you have to bet high...because I want to retire after I bust ya, my friend! LOL I am positive that I could do NO WORSE than break even...and imo, I'd have a good chance to make money! This is not as good a bet as betting on making the 9 on the break, but I'll still go with it...just cause we're friends! LOL LMAO Might see you guys again in July, on my way back from New Orleans.

Scott

Chris Cass
05-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi Scott,

July? That is good news. I hope Jim reads this. He's looking forward as I too want to meet with you again.

Best Regards,

C.C.~~stay out of my pocket Scott. There's nothing in it. I left it all in Vegas. LMAO Just kidding, saved enough for a pizza. LOL

cheesemouse
05-31-2002, 09:19 AM
Hey guys/gals,
If you notice that yours and others break is consistantly leaving the one ball in the middle of the end rail and the table is not giving up balls on the break very often should you pull the cue ball down and play shape on the one or leave the c/b up table and play the roll out game??? Just curious as I've seen this situation on the tighter sets of tables we sometimes play on. I don't know if this situation comes up with the Sardo, as I've never used it but with hand racking it does. What's the % play???

JimS
05-31-2002, 10:59 AM
I NEVER miss a thread where you two are woofing wit each other!!

Give me a week's notice so I can clear my appointment schedule and I'll be READY for another marathon session with Chris and Scott. Got a new Diamond Rack to make sure things is done right! Racks'm tight everytime!!