PDA

View Full Version : pronounciation?

N8ball
02-21-2005, 08:28 AM
I was just curious......what is the correct way to pronounce schon? From where i came from (ND) it was like shown.....but i moved south (albuquerque) and it seems to be shawn here..... im just curious if there is a right or wrong way to say it? thanx /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sidepocket
02-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I believe it is the German word for beautiful. Unlike French, the Germans do not have a "beautiful" language (eye of the beholder kind of thing). The word should be pronounced quickly, with your mouth kind of in an "O" As far as the cue company using the word, I assume it is pronounced like "shone"

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sidepocket:</font><hr> I believe it is the German word for beautiful. Unlike French, the Germans do not have a "beautiful" language (eye of the beholder kind of thing). The word should be pronounced quickly, with your mouth kind of in an "O" As far as the cue company using the word, I assume it is pronounced like "shone" <hr /></blockquote>

The closest I can come to telling you the way the German's Prounounce it is "Schern". You are correct in the meaning of the German word. I had the distinct pleasure on one hundred occasions in the German Billiard League (Deutchebilliardverein) of having my Schoen (I don't have an umlaut on me) complimented many times. The way I said it over there Schon means "already" in German.

It doesn't really matter as when they move here, they live with our pronunciation anyway.....

Deeman

N8ball
02-21-2005, 09:13 AM
when i heard that it was german for beautiful, i looked it up in a german tranlator site and beautiful didnt come out to exactly schon and found the same thing deeman found out meaning already...... it just sometimes drives me nuts to hear ppl calling it a "shawn".....lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but thats just me

Nate

Sidepocket
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the correction. I am of German decent, and have attempted many times to learn the language, so I was going on my rudimentary knowledge. I thought it was better than my normal midwestern pronounciation.

It is such a difficult language to get excited about learning. Love the heritage, the people, the soccer, the cars...but not so much the language.

Playing there must have been a wonderful experience. When I was younger it was my dream to play professional soccer there...however, I was halted due to a soccer career ending injury to the eye.

Cueless Joey
02-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Everyone pronounced it as "shawn" here.
Btw, pronounciation is not a word. It's pronunciation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LARRY_BOY
02-21-2005, 09:35 AM
It's kind of fun to see non-German people talk about a language they no nothing about........and yes I am German. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I spell it Schön. I might call it Shone or Shawn, I can call it what I want, I own it. LOL I never swear at my cue though, it's sensitive. Besides we all know who's right, the cue only does what it's told to do.

Rod

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sidepocket:</font><hr> Thanks for the correction. I am of German decent, and have attempted many times to learn the language, <font color="blue">It's more difficult than it seems at first, too similar to English.. </font color> so I was going on my rudimentary knowledge. <font color="blue"> Good guess!</font color> I thought it was better than my normal midwestern pronounciation.

It is such a difficult language to get excited about learning. Love the heritage <font color="blue"> Geschischte </font color> , the people <font color="blue"> (die Leute)</font color> , the soccer (Fussball), the cars <font color="blue"> (das Autos) </font color> ...but not so much the language.

Playing there must have been a wonderful experience. <font color="blue"> Best seven years of my miserable life... </font color> When I was younger it was my dream to play professional soccer there...however, I was halted due to a soccer career ending injury to the eye. <font color="blue"> Sorry about the injury, football is nice there but there are no cheerleaders, no bands, just football. The fans make even Boston fans look tame and civilized...... </font color>

Deeman
<hr /></blockquote>

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I spell it Schön. I might call it Shone or Shawn, I can call it what I want, I own it. LOL I never swear at my cue though, it's sensitive. Besides we all know who's right, the cue only does what it's told to do.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Rod,

I agree with you. I call it by nice names but it wants to spank ME on occasion.....

Deeman </font color>

Harold Acosta
02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Our pronounciation for "Schon" is very similiar in sound as if you say "John."

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> It's kind of fun to see non-German people talk about a language they no <font color="blue">(know?) </font color> nothing about........and yes I am German. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Well, since you are German, you can tell us what it's all about then. We didn't claim to be German but were only trying to give input from our experience. We didn't <font color="red"> no </font color> you could be of help but are willing to let you let us non-Germans in on your vast knowledge. </font color>

Deeman
speaks German like the FAST Larry BOY speaks English

Leviathan
02-21-2005, 03:08 PM
I believe that the name of the cue company is properly written "Schön." You can hear the German words "schön" and "schon" pronounced correctly at

http://www.ex.ac.uk/german/abinitio/pronounce/ ,

a site maintained by a university language deptartment.

According to an article at that site, the word "schön" rhymes with "learn" and means beautiful, whereas the word "schon" rhymes with "shown" and means already. [These rhymes aren't exact--suggest you check the web site if you want to pronounce "Schön" correctly.]

AS

Deeman2
02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I believe that the name of the cue company is properly written "Schön." <font color="blue"> Yep, that's the umlaut I didn't have (haben) on me a few posts ago.</font color> You can hear the German words "schön" and "schon" pronounced correctly at

http://www.ex.ac.uk/german/abinitio/pronounce/ ,

a site maintained by a university language deptartment.

According to an article at that site, the word "schön" rhymes with "learn" and means beautiful, whereas the word "schon" rhymes with "shown" and means already. [These rhymes aren't exact--suggest you check the web site if you want to pronounce "Schön" correctly.]

<font color="blue"> Gee (Gee), I think that's what I said. Ich Glaube, Das habe ich schon gesaght. Order, Das war schoen....

Deeman
maybe not.... </font color>

AS <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> Gee (Gee), I think that's what I said.</font color><hr /></blockquote>That's okay, Deeman, I was invisible on another post today... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

axe
02-22-2005, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
<font color="blue"> Gee (Gee), I think that's what I said. Ich Glaube, Das habe ich schon gesaght. Order, Das war schoen....

Deeman
maybe not.... </font color>

AS <hr /></blockquote>
6 mistakes in a 11 word sentance...., must be a record for someone criticising a non native english speaking person for making 1 mistake in a 22 word sentance...

Vagabond
02-23-2005, 05:02 AM
A german friend told me that it is pronunced as Shane.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ryushen21
02-23-2005, 05:40 AM
unfortunately i don't have an IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) font on PC yet. But i asked a friend and fellow linguist of mine about the word and to his understanding it was as "shern" but with the "r" sound almost nonexistent. I'll find our and post again with the phonetic transcription.

Deeman2
02-23-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote axe:</font><hr> AS <hr /></blockquote>
6 mistakes in a 11 word sentance...., must be a record for someone criticising a non native english speaking person for making 1 mistake in a 22 word sentance...
<hr /></blockquote>

I thought I made at least 8 mistakes in that sentence! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I was hoping the irony didn't fly so far over your head....

rukiddingme
02-23-2005, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> A german friend told me that it is pronunced as Shane.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Come back Shane...Shane...come back!
For purists the correct German pronounciation would be like learn and written with an umlag over the o.
Since Schon cues are made in Wisconsin and not in Germany no umlag and it is pronounced like shone.
Shane is probably shone with a southern accent...lol
ruk

Deeman2
02-23-2005, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> A german friend told me that it is pronunced as Shane.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Come back Shane...Shane...come back!
For purists the correct German pronounciation would be like learn and written with an umlag over the o.
Since Schon cues are made in Wisconsin and not in Germany no umlag and it is pronounced like shone.
Shane is probably shone with a southern accent...lol
ruk

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> RUK,

I pronounce it schon, as you say although I have heard it 10 different way. I'd say the Wisconsinites would have the last say on this one. There are many cue brands that people say differently. Maybe we should just start calling them by their number in the popularity survey. I think Schon was about number 7 so I can just say, "I have a 7." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman
wow, that's the most beautiful 23 I've ver seen...

PQQLK9
02-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Danke Schoen (Thanks beautiful) as sung by Wayne Newton

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for all the joy and pain. Picture shows, second balcony, was the place we'd meet, Second seat, go Dutch treat, you were sweet.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Save those lies, Darling don't explain. I recall, Central Park in fall. How you tore your dress, what a mess, I confess. That's not all.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for walks down Lover's Lane. I can see, hearts carved on a tree. Letters inter-twined, for all time, yours and mine, that was fine.

Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen. Thank you for seeing me again. Though we go on our seperate ways, Still the memory stays, for always, my heart says, Danke Schoen.

Danke Schoen, Oh Darling, Danke Schoen. I said, Thank you for seeing me again. Though we go- on our seperate ways, Still the memory stays, for always, my heart says, Danke Schoen.

Danke Schoen, Auf Wiedersehen, Danke Schoen

ryushen21
02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
i agree with Deeman, why don't we just say "screw the names!!" and give them numbers. i mean, one day it's the schon argument, the next day it will be the lucasi argument. we should just write letters to all the cuemakers of the world and tell them that there will be a lottery for who gets what number.

when you need a reasonable soultion to your arguments, who better than Deeman for the answer?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-23-2005, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Danke Schoen (Thanks beautiful) as sung by Wayne Newton

<hr /></blockquote>

Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Oops, I thought I was in the word association thread.

Wally &lt;~~ hopes that thread commits suicide soon /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote N8ball:</font><hr> I was just curious......what is the correct way to pronounce schon? From where i came from (ND) it was like shown.....but i moved south (albuquerque) and it seems to be shawn here..... im just curious if there is a right or wrong way to say it? thanx /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>Although it is German and would be pronounced something close to "shern," when last I spoke to Evan Clark, he said something closer to "shahn." With the midwest accent, it's problably being pronounced as it is spelled, i.e., short o as in hot.

Note: I would have written "Shawn," but in NYC, this is pronounce something closer "show wahn," whereas in the midwest it might be pronounced "shahn."

Fred

Deeman2
02-23-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Danke Schoen (Thanks beautiful) as sung by Wayne Newton

<hr /></blockquote>

Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Oops, I thought I was in the word association thread.

Wally &lt;~~ hopes that thread commits suicide soon /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yep, Wally, I felt pretty bad encouraging that one myself. Bang, that thread is dead, Fred...

Deeman </font color>

Vagabond
02-24-2005, 05:00 AM
After my earlier post I talked to another friend who is from Belgium and is fluent in german.My two friends ,in my presence,spoke to each other in German language and it appeared that the friend from Belgium is more fluent in the classic German than this friend my mine from Germany who speaks `country`.It is difficult to describe it here what they told me.It is not Shane as I said earlier.It is not Shawn.It is in between Shane and shawn, like Shoane.Forget it... I can`t say it correctly.I tried any way... Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

rukiddingme
02-24-2005, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> After my earlier post I talked to another friend who is from Belgium and is fluent in german.My two friends ,in my presence,spoke to each other in German language and it appeared that the friend from Belgium is more fluent in the classic German than this friend my mine from Germany who speaks `country`.It is difficult to describe it here what they told me.It is not Shane as I said earlier.It is not Shawn.It is in between Shane and shawn, like Shoane.Forget it... I can`t say it correctly.I tried any way... Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm from Belgium and live about 40 miles from the Wisconsin border... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Schon...as in the sun shone...
ruk