PDA

View Full Version : air fares

SPetty
02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Does anyone have any inside info as to when air fares are lowest?

I checked some air fares (DFW to LAS) on Saturday mid-morning and by Sunday evening they were up! Will the fares keep rising from here on, or will they come back down? Are they always down a few bucks on Saturday mornings? Is there a "best" time to buy your plane tickets?

Wally_in_Cincy
02-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Sorry can't help but I wanted to bump this because I'm curious too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't fly that much but we usually use Airtran out of Dayton and they're consistently reasonably priced.

A friend of mine finds good deals at orbitz. I've never tried it.

Barbara
02-21-2005, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>I checked some air fares (DFW to LAS) <hr /></blockquote>

Don't you mean DFW to PHL? March 16th??

Barbara

wolfdancer
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Don't know if southwest services your area...but I've used them quite a bit lately. Booking over the internet, two weeks in advance, beats their senior discount fare. Only problem I have with them is their seating is non-assigned...but if you check in early enough, you are in the first group to board.
I think the chicken flavored peanuts, are better then the beef flavored ones, when you order your inflight meal

SPetty
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Don't you mean DFW to PHL? March 16th??<hr /></blockquote>I wish!

Aargh! I just looked and it's up again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

SPetty
02-21-2005, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Don't know if southwest services your area...<hr /></blockquote>Southwest is based out of Dallas. Trouble is, many years ago the stupid Wright Amendment (http://www.646industries.com/mt/beyond_s/archives/the_wright_amendment.html) was put into place, limiting where Southwest could fly to or from Dallas Love Field. Las Vegas isn't on that list. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SPetty
02-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Aargh! They're back down now, but on a different airline! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Popcorn
02-22-2005, 02:02 AM
The only trick I know to get the best price is the time you call. Airlines clear their unpaid ticket reservations usually at midnight from the computers. There are only so many low priced tickets per flight. You may call at 10 and get a price of $350 and call back at 12:01 and get a price of $99.00. I do it all the time and it almost never fails, so many people make reservations and they have them held till the next day. These are always no refundable tickets, that's why they don't pay right away and most never pay and the tickets become available again. If you know well in advance you are traveling make reservations for your car and get the cheapest they offer. When you get there they never seem to have the car and have to give you the upgrade for the same price. I was in LA and had a Lincoln town car for $79.00 a week. They like to advertise low rates and the law says they have to have cars at that rate. A three week in advance reservation almost guarantees you the low rate but the few cheap cars they actually have are always gone.

CarolNYC
02-22-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey Spetty,
My niece works for Continental-(ticket agent)-that is my airline-I phoned her once and she the

best thing to do is try and get it off the internet BECAUSE they buy bulk amounts of tickets and are able to sell them at a cheaper rate-if you call, its gonna be higher!
As you know,Im an earlybird and there have been times I've clicked on Continental one morning,rate 400 and the next morning 200-so,maybe, if you have the time to check at least each morning, you may see a difference,but then reserve immediately cause by the afternoon, it'll be back up!
Theres also priceline,which Ive never used,where you bid and THEN if you win the bid, they tell you the time and stuff-that doesnt work for me-I need to know now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-22-2005, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> The only trick I know to get the best price is the time you call. Airlines clear their unpaid ticket reservations usually at midnight from the computers. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you do this at midnight, your local time, or wait for midnight in the time zone of the airline's corporate HQ?

Since reservations seem to be invariably an 800 area code, I can't imagine what time it is where the phone's being answered.

SpiderMan

Eric.
02-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey SPetty,

I fly somewhat often (about once a month).

From what I know, the best way to go is to use one of the "main" Internet flight shopper sites; orbitz, travelocity, Hotwire or Expedia. You have a few options. You can use their automatic email reminder, which is a service that emails you if the fare drops below a certain price and wait. Or, you can wait til the last minute(up to 14 days before) and buy a package such as airfare+car. Sometimes these last minute packages are the same as just buying a plane ticket, only you get the car for free. The last option is to bid on it at a site such as Priceline.com. The catch is that you have no control over your flight times, only the days, so you need a little flexibility in your schedule.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
02-22-2005, 10:12 AM
try this

http://quickfares.bestfares.com/quickfare/qfsearch.jsp?LeftNav=quickfares

they show $188 on AA

Popcorn
02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
They will tell you when the unpaid for tickets become avalable again if you ask. Each airline uses different time scedules or time zones. It is always worth a shot. We went to Europe for $99.00 round trip on a special that Luftunza (sp) had as an anniversary special. It sold out in minutes of it being announced. My wife called every night and finally got a pair that were not paid for. If you called once and just say to yourself there are no more tickets available you miss out. People always cancel and they go back into the system.

Candyman
02-23-2005, 10:34 AM
$244.00 at this time on cheaptickets.com. Not cheap but buying tickets this close to departure is a tough task. You might try a travel agent with a good rep. I have done this many times and they can save you big bucks. They have a computer program that will automaticly notify them when the fares are reduced. Good Luck. C-man