PDA

View Full Version : Tipless Ferrule

Stretch
02-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone else has tried breaking with the new tipless ferruls yet, and your oppinions.

I had the opportunity to take a number of breaks with one myself this past weekend. I liked it! It hits like a hammer for sure. As i suspected it's not "quite" as good at grabing the cue ball as a tip would give you, but still plenty good with a centre ball hit. You can get them installed on an old cue, or a spare shaft for break shots. Think i might get one. Anyone else have one? St.

wolfdancer
02-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Any links to this?? Thanks!

Stretch
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Any links to this?? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry no, wish i did. A buddy of mine who's an up and comeing tip man ( he has great little portable lathe settup) brought these things back from Toronto when he was up there at the National. He's always comeing back with "the latest thing" lol. Anyways he has one on his break cue. He's got a killer break,(his knickname is Grizzley) if three balls at least don't go down somethings wrong. All i can tell you it's an all black ferrul so that took me a little getting use to, and the top of it is slightly domed and ruffed to take chalk. It's loud too, the whole place will notice /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Because it's so hard with less grab than a tip you can hammer those knuckle balls into the pack and kill the cue ball easily. St.

PQQLK9
02-21-2005, 12:25 PM
The combination ferrule-tips are becoming very popular. I recently purchased a Fury J?B with one and of course the Sledgehammer uses one also.
I played in Pooltchr's Fury tournament this past weekend and it seemed to me that most everyone was using these.
( you will hear a lot of "nice break" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

MrLucky
02-21-2005, 01:47 PM
http://direct-billiards.com/sitebuilder/images/SledgeHammer_tip2-297x175.jpg <font color="red"> I found this on the Sledgehammer which the ad says invented the tip! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
The material in that picture has a definite weave to it, like rolled linen. Any idea what it actually is?

SpiderMan

Popcorn
02-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I believe it is a canvas you can get anywhere. It is just a simple idea most anyone would have thought of if they were so inclined. As a note I have replaces several of those in recent months. They seem to split and chip. I prefer the phenolic tips installed on an existing ferrule.

SpiderMan
02-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Chopstick has an interesting "tipless ferrule" on his break cue, it's conical in shape, ie increasing diameter toward the business end. Guess it's the "oversize driver" theory, he plays golf also. His ferrule is of a different material than this black stuff, though - looks more like the white phenolic tips that are going around.

He plays a lot, so I guess I'll hear about it if that one chips or cracks.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
02-21-2005, 04:47 PM
It's funny, nothing is new. Palmer made a ferrule they called a Bell ferrule like 35 years ago that was like what you describe.

poolturtle
02-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I have a curious question about tips that this reminded me about.

what's the general concensus on rubber tips? I've heard of them(that some people tried to develop them), but never heard anything on effectiveness or the BCA's stand on them.

Seems like if you came up with the right material, you'd get excellent grip and would never have to chalk.

Like I said, just a curiosity of mine.

SPetty
02-21-2005, 06:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> what's the general concensus on rubber tips? <hr /></blockquote>Here's a previous thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=86404&amp;page=&amp;vie w=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) on rubber tips, which includes a link to more info.

poolturtle
02-21-2005, 07:05 PM
thanks.

pooltchr
02-21-2005, 08:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> The combination ferrule-tips are becoming very popular. I recently purchased a Fury J?B with one and of course the Sledgehammer uses one also.
I played in Pooltchr's Fury tournament this past weekend and it seemed to me that most everyone was using these.
( you will hear a lot of "nice break" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) <hr /></blockquote>

Nick, I thought you had one of the Fury J/B cues.
You are right...you are at a disadvantage if you don't have one these days.
Oh, by the way. Eddie Little won it.
Steve

LJC_Cues
02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I have installed alot them in the last 4-5 months I put one on for a guy and everyone that hit with his stick wanted one on thiers which is good for me! I think they hit great however only down side is if you need to use any kind of spin when doing a jump shot. I dont know how many of you can jump a ball like earl strickland but if you need to get position on the next ball and your jumping I would stick with a water buffalo on a very hard ferrule! Those tip ferrules are nice though and I think they do add a little power to your break I feel like I dont need to hit as hard when using one!

Rich R.
02-22-2005, 04:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The material in that picture has a definite weave to it, like rolled linen. Any idea what it actually is? <hr /></blockquote>
I may be stretching my knowledge and understanding a little bit, on this, but I believe there has to be some kind of fiber in the phenolic resin, for the tip to be legal under BCA rules. However, I will defer to the experts on this.
Where's Fred? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
02-22-2005, 04:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> As a note I have replaces several of those in recent months. They seem to split and chip. <hr /></blockquote>
If the one piece ferrule/tips you are replacing are on "Sledgehammer" J/B cues, do your customers a service and have them return the sticks to Mike Gulyassy. His ferrule/tips are suppose to be guaranteed for life.

The following is a quote from Mike's web site. http://www.babysproshop.com/sledgehammer.htm
"SledgehammerŽ break/jump cues come with a lifetime warranty. This includes all construction (pins, collars, wraps, and ferrule/tip unit. This does not cover abuse. A return shipping and handling charge of $15.00 is applied to
all repairs sent within the continental United States. Repairs sent from other countries will be subject to shipping costs and duties from those countries."

SpiderMan
02-22-2005, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LJC_Cues:</font><hr> I have installed alot them in the last 4-5 months <hr /></blockquote>

Are you buying them, or machining them yourself from rod stock? Details?

SpiderMan

Billy_Bob
02-22-2005, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I may be stretching my knowledge and understanding a little bit, on this, but I believe there has to be some kind of fiber in the phenolic resin, for the tip to be legal under BCA rules. <hr /></blockquote>

Well there is a guy who makes such a tip...
http://www.piconecues.esmartbiz.com/cues/Phenolic_Tips.html

His contact info is hard to find - here it is under jump cues...
http://www.piconecues.esmartbiz.com/cues/price_and_orde.html

Deeman2
02-22-2005, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Chopstick has an interesting "tipless ferrule" on his break cue, it's conical in shape, ie increasing diameter toward the business end. Guess it's the "oversize driver" theory, he plays golf also. His ferrule is of a different material than this black stuff, though - looks more like the white phenolic tips that are going around.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I have the same tip. It's a one piece phenolic that flares from 11mm at the base to 14mm at the tip. I use it on both my jump stick and my break stick. I got it at Valley forge but had more flare added last year. It has a nickle radius and hits very hard. It does seem to miscue on very low jump shots but bites pretty well otherwise. I dress it with a normal Willard shaper and chalk and floss on a regular basis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Deeman

Chopstick
02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Chopstick has an interesting "tipless ferrule" on his break cue, it's conical in shape, ie increasing diameter toward the business end. Guess it's the "oversize driver" theory, he plays golf also. His ferrule is of a different material than this black stuff, though - looks more like the white phenolic tips that are going around.

My break stick is a SouthEast. The guy told me that it was compressed lined. The larger diameter does help reduce spin from mis-hits. It's about the same hit as the Sledge Hammer.

Popcorn
02-22-2005, 10:19 AM
"If the one piece ferrule/tips you are replacing are on "Sledgehammer" J/B cues, do your customers a service and have them return the sticks to Mike Gulyassy. His ferrule/tips are suppose to be guaranteed for life."

They want the cue fixed right and back to them and if he is going to charge you $15.00 return shipping and you have to spend $10.00 to send it and wait who knows how long it would make no point. I will give it back the next and I'm as good if not better craftsman then he is. I don't know if something has changed but the cues I have seen of late were not so good, very bad shafts. I am not so sure I would be doing them a service having the cue worked on by them.

Rich R.
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>I'm as good if not better craftsman then he is. <hr /></blockquote>
Since I don't know who you are, I guess I'll have to take your word for that.

Popcorn
02-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Quote Popcorn:I'm as good if not better craftsman then he is.

"Since I don't know who you are, I guess I'll have to take your word for that."

I have to be honest, I am a very good craftsman but with a close look at most sludghammer cues or recent, it was not a very hard statement to make. They were crap and if you remember I defended them in the past when someone was knocking the quality of the cues. Something must have changed.

sliprock
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LJC_Cues:</font><hr> I have installed alot them in the last 4-5 months <hr /></blockquote>

If you're talking about the brown ferrules, they are a canvas phenolic. There's several places to buy the stock, but if you're interested in trying one, pm me your address and I'll see if I can't hook you up. Later

Rich R.
02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I have to be honest, I am a very good craftsman but with a close look at most sludghammer cues or recent, it was not a very hard statement to make. They were crap and if you remember I defended them in the past when someone was knocking the quality of the cues. Something must have changed. <hr /></blockquote>
I have had a Sledgehammer for several years and it is holding up very well. However, I too will be honest, I don't have the hardest break in the room.
I have no complaints about my Sledgehammer, but I have not really looked at some of the newer models. As you say, things may have changed.

Fred Agnir
02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The material in that picture has a definite weave to it, like rolled linen. Any idea what it actually is? <hr /></blockquote>
I may be stretching my knowledge and understanding a little bit, on this, but I believe there has to be some kind of fiber in the phenolic resin, for the tip to be legal under BCA rules. However, I will defer to the experts on this.
Where's Fred? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>Yup, something like that. Fibrous. This tip/ferrule is made of something like canvas or linen phenolic (not cast, but pressure laminated or similar). It's fibrous, so it seems to fit the broad definiton that the BCA has set.

Fred

MosconiJr
02-23-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I have to be honest, I am a very good craftsman but with a close look at most sludghammer cues or recent, it was not a very hard statement to make. They were crap and if you remember I defended them in the past when someone was knocking the quality of the cues. Something must have changed. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

I believe that you are correct. From what I understand, the first couple of years, Mike hand made the sledgehammers himself. Now he has the cues imported from Taiwan (or China somewhere). He doesn't even install the tips himself anymore. The cue comes ready made to sell. With Mike unable to oversee the quality and craftsmanship process, I can see why the cues may not be up to the quality that they once were.

MosconiJr

LJC_Cues
03-04-2005, 11:24 PM

SpiderMan,

You can get the brown canvas phenolic from atlas they just started selling the rods you can cut down. I also have some linen based ones that dont have the weaving pattern as the pic above. Also I dont know if you heard of brianna products the guy is out of philly or jersey I believe ( may be wrong) but I got a tin of 20 from him and they hit just the same. His are called kangaroo Jump/break ferrules.

LJC_Cues
03-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Spider,

Also thanks for the tip on taking pics That was annoying the hell out of me!!! I will be taking new pics and posting them!!

stickman
03-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Atlas also has black canvas phenolic rod now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif