PDA

View Full Version : I will once again explain the situation to you

05-30-2002, 01:58 PM
Apparently, there are some Anonymous posters out there who just don't get my Tag Line. Or they don't get that it is a tag line. Or they're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Whatever.
Anyway, I actually spent the time trying to edit the damn thing so that all the malcontents would be happier, and I've had only limited success. I wanted to credit Ed Koch, from whom the quote originated, but that made it too long. I wanted to put in in blue writing, but that also made it too long. In the end, I had to settle for italics.
Now, I actually kind of get a kick out of the protests of double digit intellects who think I'm trying to insult them personally with this thing. However, some of the other posters here have felt the desire to come to my defense, and this is unacceptable. Thank you, and I love you guys for it, but you've better things to do with your time, and thus I am bowing to the wishes of Anonymous, and editing my Tag Line. I know that a lot of you think it's offensive and wish I would ditch it all together. To that I can only reply, Tough Noogies! I like it, and it stays!
Sorry to have taken up so much of your time on so trivial a matter. I hope this can be an acceptable solution to all. My sincere regards,
Lorri

05-30-2002, 02:40 PM
I think its very good, that line is the biggest problem in my life.

SPetty
05-30-2002, 02:47 PM
hahaha
Geez, Lorri, take away all my fun!

<font color=blue>Don't bother explaining, I won't comprehend!</font color=blue>

HarryDC
05-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Lorri,

Don't edit a thing as I like it just the way it is.

HarryDC

MikeM
05-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Now that's a great tag line!

MM...LMAO

heater451
05-30-2002, 03:48 PM
Lorri,

Changing the font to italics isn't exactly 'editing', so you don't lose anything in the quote.

The gain is made, by using the italics to separate the tagline from your posted text. Otherwise, it seems as if you are saying the words to the reader personally, every time they see it. --Imagine saying the words aloud, after every sentence of a conversation you are having. . . .Am I making sense?

Nostroke
05-30-2002, 03:48 PM
Most "tag lines" from intelligent people are positive but more importantly, general in nature, having somewhat universal relevance. Yours, though a clever line in the right context, is still a mean spirited put-down for a specific situation and a poor choice for a tag line IMHO.

I think the italics will help but i think that many people might still be turned off by it and it will prejudice them towards your informative posts. With me, it is only of late that I am able to see the worth of your posts THROUGH THAT CRUMMY TAG LINE!!! (G)

Rod
05-30-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi lorri, no problem here. But what the hell is a Noogie?
I didn't comprehend! Sorry I forgot you don't comprehend that for me./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Lorri,
If you won't change a little thing like a TAG line.. (And I hope you don't, I like it.. always have) then how can you expect Earl to become Pool's Mr. Manners? LOL.. Keep up the good posting, I enjoy your posts..

05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Okay, so you've explained it. Now, can you comprehend it for me? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

JimS
05-30-2002, 05:06 PM
I can't say I like or dislike your tag line, but I will say that imo it does have a rather smart-ass, condescending flavor to it.

cheesemouse
05-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Lorri,
I understand all your posts and I can't read italics /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-30-2002, 05:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Or they're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Whatever.
I wanted to credit Ed Koch, from whom the quote originated, but that made it too long. Now, I actually kind of get a kick out of the protests of double digit intellects Lorri <hr></blockquote>

i can't imagine how anyone could possibly find you to be irritating.

you have a constitutional right to communicate as you choose and if that includes insulting the reader as your means of persuading them to your point of view then go gettum. i still say that koch stole it from the texas legislature where, for generations, it has been "i can 'splain it to ya but i can't unnerstand it fer ya."

they also say "when you find yourself at the bottom of a deep dark hole....stop digging!"

dan

05-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Sounds a little pretentious but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

bigalerickson
05-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Time for my own signature after all of this relative nonsense! It has a more significant meaning to me than may meet the eye.

peace,
al

And then for those who are at home waiting for McDonalds to call them back after their first interview

jjinfla
05-30-2002, 06:22 PM
I'm glad you explained that there was a problem with your tag line because I never comprehended that there was a problem with it. And since you addressed your message to the annon posters why is it that everyone else answered you? I can't comprehend that at all. Can you explain it? Now if we can get that stupid rat from running across the bottom of someone elses posts things would be better. Jake

heater451
05-30-2002, 06:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> Most "tag lines" from intelligent people are positive but more importantly, general in nature, having somewhat universal relevance. Yours, though a clever line in the right context, is still a mean spirited put-down for a specific situation and a poor choice for a tag line IMHO.<hr></blockquote>

I can easily see how one can find the words offensive, but one can also consider it positive, if one considers that it may not be a put-down, but instead a motivational signature. It can also mean that the reader has to take the next step, as in "the rest is up to YOU," or "I can only take you so far. . . ."

Now, for a question, is the intelligence break-down in, a) being offended by the spirit of the tagline, or in b) not realizing that it's a tagline?

(Disclaimer: That last bit may seem like a personal attack, but I assure you that it's not.)

cheesemouse
05-30-2002, 06:47 PM
jjinfla,
You shot my cousin.....bad boy!!!!!!!

05-30-2002, 07:07 PM
Okay, here we go:
Malcolm, if that line is the biggest problem in your life, can I have your life? Lucky devil. :-)
SPetty, My dear, I get the feeling after meeting you that you could have fun at a funeral, so I'm not going to feel too bad!
Harry, I rather thought you and I would be of like mind on this one!
MikeM, thanks, I thought it was amusing.
Heater, you always make sense to me, sir. I must admit however, that I am a bit perplexed by the reaction some people give to a line that is meant to give folks a little chuckle.
NoStroke, I'm sorry that you hate it. Perhaps it would help you to know that I really don't mean it to be mean-spirited, spiteful, disdainful, condescending, or insulting. The quote has personal meaning for me, hailing from a time in my life I very much enjoyed. I wish it wasn't taken so seriously, but then, that's part of what gives this group of people their unique flavor! I wouldn't have them any other way!
Rod, "Tough Noogies" can be referenced in any Bill Murray skit or movie, most notably "Todd and Lisa"
Tom in Cincy, There are some things you just know aren't meant to happen! BTW, Ditto!
Mike, And JimS thinks I'm a smartass?!
Cheese, I don't know any foriegn languages either:D
Anonymous, You can't? Stick around;)
AGM, it is what you bring to it.
Big Al, I think you've got the right idea my friend.
Jjinfla, Neither did I! You can imagine my surprise....
I'm sure that many more of you will throw your hats in the ring on this, and all I can say is, anyone who has ever met me knows that I have very strong opinions, and I don't hesitate to express them. I can be a pain in the A$$ at times, but who can't? But folks who know me also know that there is nothing I won't do for a friend in need, that I will never lie to them, and that I don't back down when challenged. The line is really rather harmless, and was NEVER meant to generate this much controversy. It was simply meant to give a smile to those who "got" the true spirit of it, and to maybe get those who didn't to think a little more about it. It's NOT a put-down to anyone here, because another thing I don't like is to be mean to people who never harmed me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play pool with my boyfriend. (Maybe I should change my line to"It's all about the nookie?........) Peace People!

jjinfla
05-31-2002, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Okay, here we go:
. (Maybe I should change my line to"It's all about the nookie?........) Peace People! <hr></blockquote>
Lorri, does that mean you lost your key? Old Chineese saying: "One who loses key, gets no "new key"". LOL Jake

jjinfla
05-31-2002, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> jjinfla,
You shot my cousin.....bad boy!!!!!!! <hr></blockquote>

I'm beginning to think I should have left well enough alone. Jake

cheesemouse
05-31-2002, 08:37 AM
jjinfla,
I cleaned the blood up and because I don't have the time to keep up with the board during this golf season I will use your better judgement as my guide. That little rat was getting on my nerves to, I'm glad you shot his a$$...later gotta go golf.......:)

05-31-2002, 05:50 PM
Cute. Very cute. :-)

ted harris
05-31-2002, 06:43 PM
It is only going to offend the people that really don't understand! Get it???

05-31-2002, 06:54 PM
Duh, okay I get it. :-)