PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Shipping Cue

axejunkie
02-22-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm shipping my cue to Schon this week to have them add some weight. Can anybody offer any quick packing and shipping tips to make sure it arrives OK, esp. what type of tube to ship in and what to pack inside?

Thanks.

bluey2king
02-22-2005, 09:45 AM
ups and fedx have nice tri-angluar boxes. wrap the cue in some bubble wrap and use this box. I have recieved two cues this way.

justbrake
02-22-2005, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> ups and fedx have nice tri-angluar boxes. wrap the cue in some bubble wrap and use this box. I have recieved two cues this way. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't like the triangle boxes at all meucci uses them to ship and twice the boxes came to me damaged and I was afraid to look inside but fortunaitly it was ok but I prefer the round tubes but the thicker gauge ones, there alot stronger , if you like the cue don't take a chance with it.

tateuts
02-22-2005, 10:18 AM
This sounds like a lot of effort to change the weight bolt - can't you get someone to do it locally?

I use FedEx even though they are a few bucks more. They keep better track of their packages than the US mail and treat their packages better than UPS, plus they pay up if the package is lost or damaged - promptly.

I use fedEx 2 day air tubes. The tube is free and it's available at Fed Ex staffed locations. My rate is usually about $20 - $25. The thing is it's better to go to an actual Fed Ex depot - my experience has been those third party mailing places charge a lot more. Fed Ex also has manned locations at some Kinko's.

Send the cue in a cheap case inside the tube - or wrap it up in bubble wrap and declare full value on the cue.

Chris

Rich R.
02-22-2005, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> ups and fedx have nice tri-angluar boxes. wrap the cue in some bubble wrap and use this box. I have recieved two cues this way. <hr /></blockquote>
I know two top cue makers who use the tri-angular boxes with the bubble wrap. If it's good enough for them........

BTW, they both swear by Fedex Overnight delivery.

Rod
02-22-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like a lot of effort to change the weight bolt - can't you get someone to do it locally?

<hr /></blockquote>

My thoughts exactly. Anyone can change a bolt provided they have one. If it's to heavy cut the old one down or put in an aluminum screw. Heavy or light any cue repair shop can do the job. Heck I've changed, and modified weight bolts and I'm not even a pro shop. Beats paying all that freight and risking something happening to the cue.

Rod

SPetty
02-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I agree that the strong walled tubular shipping tube is much better than the triangular shipping box. I had a cue shipped to me in a tube that was no less than a half inch thick! Unbendable! Wrap it in bubble wrap so that it doesn't bounce around inside the tube. I had a cue shipped to me in the triangular box. Bent all to hell, but thank goodness the cue was apparently undamaged.

I disagree that FedEx is the best. My most recent FedEx problem was a delivery where they claim they left a package on my front porch at 10 p.m. one night. I was home and awake, the porch light was off, and I have a driveway monitor. I would have known if FedEx delivered! There was no package.

After calling them four times, they never ever did call me back. But, interestingly, exactly one week later, the missing package appeared at my front gate (which was closed because I wasn't expecting a package then...)

Sidepocket
02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Two suggestions to using some of the methods above:
1. If you are going to use the triangular tube, find some plans if possible to to add some rigidity to the inside. Drive by a construction contractor's office on garbage day and you are sure to find some.
2. Or use a piece of wood that is a little longer and wider than your cue. I received a cue with a long circular piece of wood that was wrapped in teh bubble wrap with the cue. I believe a wood coat-rod (closet shelf coat hanger upper thing) should due the trick. At least with the wood you, know that it can't bend, and the bubble wrap should keep it from getting dinged.

Personally, I like the latter the best.