PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball, ball position in rack.

bluey2king
02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
How do you guys and Gals setup your balls in a 9ball rack?
On leauge I was getting killed and I think I wasn't helping myself with the racks. APA rules.
one ball
seven, six
three, nine, two
five, four
eight.
It dawned on be that the wing balls should not be the two and the three!!
any tips?

SecaucusFats
02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Here's how I set it up:

3 5
7 9 8
4 6

nAz
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I go...

and always make sure the balls are tight especialy the back of the rack.

Chopstick
02-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Here's the deal from Joe Tucker's and Charlie Bond's book.

The idea is to get sequential balls to go to opposite ends of the table. If you are playing a run out player this is the optimal setup. It makes more difficult to get a run started. If you are not playing a run out player then group sequential balls together to make it eaiser for yourself. If you put the 2 on the tail it usually goes to the end rail and straight back up table where the one is.

Another thing is the side the 2 is on. A lot of guys will break from one side only and never switch. Watch where his 2 ball goes. As a general rule I will rack the 2 away from him.

For example, in the above configuration, I would break from the right side. The reason is with my side break the 1 ball goes to the side rail and back to the side of the table I am breaking from. The 2 ball is moving more slowly and tends to stay on the same side of the table it is racked on. Many times I wind up with the 1 ball and the 2 ball on the long rail with the cue ball in between them. If you rack the 2 away from them you seperate them not only by distance but diagonally as well.

This isn't an absolute rule. It's just an example of how to employ racking strategies to your advantage. Watch the table and watch your opponent. Adjust accordingly.

There's nothing in the rules against using your head to maximize your chances.

vapoolplayer
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
i'm surprised that no one has brought up the point that constantly racking the balls the same way is against the rules.........LOL.......

the rules state that the 1 is in the headspot, the 9 in the center and the rest of the balls in random order. if you constantly rack the same way......its not random......thus illegal.

just food for thought as i don't follow the "rules" either.

i usually rack this way if my opponent is breaking.

3 5
7 9 8
2 4

if i'm breaking i make sure the 2 ball is in the second row and the rest random.

GeraldG
02-24-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't really think that's what that rule means. I think what they mean by "random" is that it doesn't matter what order the rest of the balls are in.

Chris Cass
02-24-2005, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I go...

and always make sure the balls are tight especialy the back of the rack. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi nAz,

I rack the same as you but sometimes flip the balls around depending how the balls are lying after the breaks. If I'm breaking my own racks then, I'll rack in this fashion.

Now, giving up weight? The first 2 balls, say 7,8.

The 678,

The 5678,

The 45678,

This is already is insane. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~you understand this is jmho.

bluey2king
02-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys. Chopstick I am going to try your method..it makes sence to me, and thats a good starting point. I was making it too easy to get the first three balls.

ChuckR
02-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Years ago someone put something like 100,000 break results on the computer and the racking order that gave the most difficult runout was:
that put the most distance between balls in sequence. ChuckR

Barbara
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
That's how I rack them but Joe's book says different.

Barbara

Popcorn
02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
It is the oppisite. The rules tells me I can put the balls any way I want and if I want to rack them in a certain order I can. I am not required to rack based on a pre-determined pattern. You are trying to read something into the rule that is not there.

Popcorn
02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I also fuss with the balls when giving weight. If I'm giving say the 7-ball I put the 8 on the wing. If it should go on the break and I get to the table, it is one less ball I have to run to get out. This may seem like petty stuff but if you lose a set 11 to 10 when you think about the set later there always seems to be at least one game in the set that would have changed the outcome, something you missed, a ball he kicked in, you know what I'm talking about. Just the way you racked the balls may have made all the differance and you are still on the winners side.

Chris Cass
02-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Popcorn,

Not petty at all. I do the same thing. lol It only makes perfect sence to take out the 8 off the break if your opponent is breaking and making the wing ball.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif