PDA

View Full Version : Yoga, does it help your pool?

recoveryjones
02-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I recently spent time at my Chiroprator for back pain which usually only occurs after long sessions of pool with sciatic type symptoms.

My Chiropractor told me that stretching would have to be a daily part of my routine or the pain would return. I'm considering yoga as I've heard that the classes are 80-90% women...LOL

Anyways, aside from the mandatory stretching that I now require has the breathing, meditation/relaxation aspects of Yoga help with your mental game in pool pressure situations like tournaments or money games.

I play very,very well in practice (when God's watching...LOL), however, struggle most of the time to come anywhere near my potential in the pressure situations.In the small percentage of times where I've been relaxed I've done quite well.

Any thought's on Yoga or other relaxation(breathing techniques etc.) methods apprciated. RJ

recoveryjones.....allways seeking to kill two birds with one stone.

CarolNYC
02-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Yes-yoga would help if your all tense-I dont do it but I know someone who does and then you can add some kickboxing lessons to get a little killer instinct in you when your under pressure!
Good luck!
Carol~whatever you do "breathe" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheese_ball
02-23-2005, 09:41 AM
rj-

Just like any sport, the sport (and art) of billiards is greatly affected by muscle memory... that is the ability of your brain and muscles in conjunction to repeat the same action over and over again. So, any exercise or stretching that you do will have a positive effect on your game. Be it yoga or weight training, I think your game will improve. The added bonus is that yoga is also a meditational exercise which directly stimulates the brain. This too should only have a positive effect on your playing....if anything, it certainly can't hurt! oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (run-out) ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm(set, pause, finish) ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm (focus)
LOL!!!

Good luck, and godspeed to recovery!

The Cheese

Wally_in_Cincy
02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr>
....any exercise or stretching that you do will have a positive effect on your game. Be it yoga or weight training....
<hr /></blockquote>

Just don't lift weights right before playing. It will screw your stroke up.

BoroNut
02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Yoga, does it help your pool? <hr /></blockquote>

I have found long silent meditation, chanting mantras, and breathing and stretching exercises have definitely helped me to increase my win rate. My friend is more sceptical about it being down to the yoga though. He thinks the whole pallaver simply puts my opponent off.

Stretch
02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> I recently spent time at my Chiroprator for back pain which usually only occurs after long sessions of pool with sciatic type symptoms.

My Chiropractor told me that stretching would have to be a daily part of my routine or the pain would return. I'm considering yoga as I've heard that the classes are 80-90% women...LOL

Anyways, aside from the mandatory stretching that I now require has the breathing, meditation/relaxation aspects of Yoga help with your mental game in pool pressure situations like tournaments or money games.

I play very,very well in practice (when God's watching...LOL), however, struggle most of the time to come anywhere near my potential in the pressure situations.In the small percentage of times where I've been relaxed I've done quite well.

Any thought's on Yoga or other relaxation(breathing techniques etc.) methods apprciated. RJ

recoveryjones.....allways seeking to kill two birds with one stone.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi RJ. Yoga (stretching) and Meditation are GREAT for your game, because they promote relaxation. As a general rule, relaxation is the best state of mind and body for playing pool. For most of us in leagues, and tournaments that probaly means haveing to come down slightly for the overall match, or for for it's "tenser" moments.

Everyone knows when they are TOO tense, or too pumped. The old emergency fear system start kicking in and pool is just not played well at that level of arousal. There are some "natural" strategies that you can use in order to keep yourself and your game on an even keel though.

Yogo and meditation are right up there and i know you'll love the results.....just cause i feel right gabby today /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, here's some more...

SLOW DOWN! I don't mean deliberate slow play, i mean setting a nice relaxed easy going pace right from the start. Not the game, right from the momment you get out of bed on game day. Make sure you have all kinds of time to wake up, have a liesurly breakfast, even go for a walk. Do everything you gotta do at a slow, steady, relaxed pace. Get there in plenty of time well rested and everything with a smile on your face and that will carry you a looong way. Most guys show up after racing around, or not enough sleep and they're already all tensed up and serious. Hell lighten up! It's not like someone has pictures of farm animals to blackmail you with or anything lol.

There are breathing techniques to music to keeping the game in perspective for relaxing. Here's one, when your looking down a long tuff shot and you feel the pressure building stop and count down from 5 or 1O, or walk around the table. You want to be that calm on the shot that you gotta stifle a yawn, you know?

Also humour of course. It is the natural enemy of fear. And nothing lubricates your game better than a little levity. St.

bsmutz
02-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Besides the stretching &amp; relaxation, Yoga is also about mind control or shutting up the constant chatter that is going on in your brain. I have found that being able to shut down the endless prattle while down on the shot also adds to consistency. Just one more thing to add to the endless list of items in the preshot routine.

ChuckR
02-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't know if Yoga would help but I was wondering if anyone else has any advice for shakiness or hand tremors. It gets embarrassing and certainly takes away from ones ability to concentrate on the shot. I remember watching some of the professionals with this problem and they just seem to play through it. Any advice???

SecaucusFats
02-23-2005, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> I don't know if Yoga would help but I was wondering if anyone else has any advice for shakiness or hand tremors. It gets embarrassing and certainly takes away from ones ability to concentrate on the shot. I remember watching some of the professionals with this problem and they just seem to play through it. Any advice??? <hr /></blockquote>

Try taking a daily dose of Vitamin B Complex.
(B vitamins play a key role in nervous system health.)

I used to get occasional tremors and twitches, then I started the B Complex regimen and the problem went away.

wolfdancer
02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
There is a good book out...simply titled "Stretching"
A friend who plays very good pool, also meditates daily...actually does "retreats"
I tried transcedental meditation, but after paying the $$ and flowers...it turned out my secret mantra was "miss"
punch in trans.... in google, I'd recommend trying yoga/meditation/stretching

PoolGuy
02-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Vitamin B Complex? Okay, I'm buying some tomorrow and I will let you know if it works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

GeraldG
02-23-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking that anything that helps you develop your ability to relax and to focus would have to help your game.

SplinterHands
02-24-2005, 07:54 AM
I've found that running a few miles before a tournament helps calm my nerves. Maybe it's mental, but I feel more like an "athlete" when I play after exercising. The only problem is choking on the second hand cigarette smoke!!!

cheese_ball
02-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Wally-

I couldn't disagree with you more!!! No offense meant, but I've had my absolute best runs on the green right after lifting HEAVY weights... *small disclaimer... this works for every muscle group except your shoulders!!! If you work them out too much, you will barely be able to hold your arm up at a 90 degree angle!*** With that being said, I've played some of my best pool 20-30 min. after a heavy benching session. Actually, beating up your chest and biceps is good for your game because it prevents you from clenching or flexing and ruining your stroke. It forces you to swing from the elbow, as you don't have the power or energy to do anything else.

Wally_in_Cincy
02-24-2005, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Wally-

I couldn't disagree with you more!!! No offense meant, but I've had my absolute best runs on the green right after lifting HEAVY weights... *small disclaimer... this works for every muscle group except your shoulders!!! If you work them out too much, you will barely be able to hold your arm up at a 90 degree angle!*** With that being said, I've played some of my best pool 20-30 min. after a heavy benching session. Actually, beating up your chest and biceps is good for your game because it prevents you from clenching or flexing and ruining your stroke. It forces you to swing from the elbow, as you don't have the power or energy to do anything else. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess it effects different people differently. I have shot terribly every time I did not have at least 4 hours between weight-lifting and pool.

However I have had some good shooting sessions after a long brisk walk or bike ride. I think it helps the circulation to my brain.