PDA

View Full Version : First 8 and out!!!

cheese_ball
02-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey all! I had my very first 8 and out last night! I've been struggling to learn all of the multi-rail kicks, banks and position for the last 6 months, and it's finally paid off! I am new to one-pocket, but it has drastically improved my other games... I've run a few consecutive racks in most games, but I've noticed my position play in 9-ball and my strategy in 8-ball and 14.1 getting MUCH better! I strongly reccomend the game to anyone with a "chess-head" on them. Are there any other chess players out there?

By the way, my 8 and out was against one of Chicago's best one-pocket players, not a slug. He was as shocked at my performance as I was! After another 2-3 matches of getting my a%$ kicked (he was upset that I ran out on him!), he offered me free lessons at the end of the night!

Deeman2
02-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Cheezeball,

Congratulations, the first one is always the hardest and, even then, they don't come that often. I bet he was surprised. You will also notice the biggest improvement to your game in nine ball will be safety play. One pocket players can just hold that cue ball better than others. Being able to stick it makes a lot of safeties childs play that the normal nine ballers just can't hit as well. IMO

Again, Congratulations...

Deeman

cheese_ball
02-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks Dee! I always appreciate your kind words, and you are correct... I didn't mention the safety play, but now that I think about it, the position of the rock is everything! From safeties to run-outs, the whole key is controlling whitey. I have noticed that it is getting easier to play safe. The only thing that messes with me in 9-ball is the way that you play safe... having to use the next ball in rotation to burry whitey behind another ball... are there any good drills to practice that kind of safety? I'm really good at playing the two-ways where if I miss, I know that I'll have a shot, and the shot left for my opponent is nearly impossible. BUT, I can't seem to burry the rock while attemptng this. Any suggestions?

Deeman2
02-24-2005, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Thanks Dee! I always appreciate your kind words, and you are correct... I didn't mention the safety play, but now that I think about it, the position of the rock is everything! From safeties to run-outs, the whole key is controlling whitey. I have noticed that it is getting easier to play safe. The only thing that messes with me in 9-ball is the way that you play safe... having to use the next ball in rotation to burry whitey behind another ball... are there any good drills to practice that kind of safety? I'm really good at playing the two-ways where if I miss, I know that I'll have a shot, and the shot left for my opponent is nearly impossible. BUT, I can't seem to burry the rock while attemptng this. Any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I think (therefore I am), anyway, I love the kick and stick off the rails. Practice with balls close to the rails and hitting them square and making the cue ball stick. Start with them a ball and a half from the rail and move the object ball further away as you get better. Then, the thing Efren taught us all, learn to hit one side or the other just a bit for further enhancement of the ability to hide the cue ball, progressing to ever thinner hits. I believe, this practice alone will take a player who can run balls to the next level.

As well, one overlooked thing is being able to move the ball forward, just to replace the object ball. Many overlook this as a practice and, honestly, Scott Lee had to remind me of the importance of the shot a few months ago. That's why I think it so critical to mix a little straight pool with the one pocket to get the small movements down pat. </font color>

Deeman
love those ChiTown one pocket players, they do it right..