PDA

View Full Version : What are the Pro's and Con's of 60"+ Cues?

Rackin_Zack
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I am going to be getting a few 60" cues here before long and thought I'd get peoples opinions of longer than standard cues. I've heard and read that shorter cues are more accurate and that longer cues tend to be whippier. If you currently play or have played with a 60", or longer, cue I would love to hear your opinions on the pro's and con's of them. Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

Voodoo Daddy
02-24-2005, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> I am going to be getting a few 60" cues here before long and thought I'd get peoples opinions of longer than standard cues. I've heard and read that shorter cues are more accurate and that longer cues tend to be whippier. If you currently play or have played with a 60", or longer, cue I would love to hear your opinions on the pro's and con's of them. Thanks in advance for all of your responses. <hr /></blockquote>

I know alil something about this subject. Being 6'5" with a 81" reach I thought 60" was the answer. I ordered quality cues of this length &lt;SouthWest, Searing, Omen, etc...&gt; and tried for almost a decade to find the feel I had with a 58" cue. What I found was the cue didnt feel right, that extra 2"s actually threw me for a bigger loop than I ever thought it could.

When I went back to the 58" cue I found I was looking for that extra 2" with my stroke hand. Now, I was gonna give into my muscle memory and force my hand back to the place it was on the 58" when I started using the 60". IMO, if you shot with a 58" for years the transition to 60" can be tough change.

Some post will be about balance points and axis of the sun during a lunar eclipse...I'm just telling you if your headstrong about switching to 60", be perpared for some setbacks.

Deeman2
02-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Whewn I lived in Europe, I played wiht a 60" snooker cue. It did seem whippy but had a real stiff hit for an 11mm tip.

PROs better reach and cue envy
Cons Hard to find a case...

Deeman

SecaucusFats
02-24-2005, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> I am going to be getting a few 60" cues here before long and thought I'd get peoples opinions of longer than standard cues. I've heard and read that shorter cues are more accurate and that longer cues tend to be whippier. If you currently play or have played with a 60", or longer, cue I would love to hear your opinions on the pro's and con's of them. Thanks in advance for all of your responses. <hr /></blockquote>

How tall are you?

Next: Stand up straight and extend both your arms out to your sides at shoulder level in the shape of a cross and have someone measure the distance from the tip of the middle finger of your right hand to the tip of the middle finger on your left hand. What is the measurement of your 'wingspan'?

How tall you are is not quite as important as the length of your wingspan, although they do tend to correspond.

Are you experiencing a problem with "not having enough cue"? IOW, do you find yourself having to consistently hold the cue so far back that it causes you problems with achieving good stroke mechanics?

If you are 6' 1" or taller, and answered yes to the question in the previous paragraph then perhaps you would benefit from a longer cue.

If you are under 6" 1, and do not find yourself having to hold the cue so far back as to cause you stroking problems, a longer cue will not help (it will feel unbalanced and awkward).

IMO, shorter cues are not any more accurate, nor is a properly constructed longer cue any 'whippier'. The only reason to choose one over the other is which one feels more comfortable to you, and allows you to place your grip hand on the correct spot to enable you to deliver a proper (fluid, smooth, unencumbered) stroke.

Before you go and spend money on a new cue, see if you can shoot a few racks with a 60" cue in your prefered weight range. The purpose of this being to judge if the extra length is to your liking.

Oh and lastly, if you do decide on a longer cue, don't just get a longer replacement shaft as this will change the balance point, increase the shaft flex (whippines), and change the cue's squirt characteristics. Talk to a good cuemaker, he or she, can craft you a cue that will give you the length you want, with the characteristics YOU prefer.

Hope this helps.

Rackin_Zack
02-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm 6'2" tall and I'm not sure what my wingspan is. I am, however, at the very end of my cue on most shots. On power shots, such as a break or 4 or more rail shot, my hand is nearly off the cue. I had some lessons around Thanksgiving with Mark Wilson who plays with a longer than standard cue and I hit a few balls with it and it felt really good.

I tend to jump into things head first, for better or worse, so I currently have three 60" cues coming: an Edwin Reyes, a Skip Weston and an Andy Gilbert.

mworkman
02-24-2005, 01:15 PM
What is the length of the bridge you use? I bet it is really long. I was always holding the stick at the end, but I also had about a 13" bridge. When I shortend my bridge down to about 8" problem solved.

SpiderMan
02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> I'm 6'2" tall and I'm not sure what my wingspan is. I am, however, at the very end of my cue on most shots. On power shots, such as a break or 4 or more rail shot, my hand is nearly off the cue. I had some lessons around Thanksgiving with Mark Wilson who plays with a longer than standard cue and I hit a few balls with it and it felt really good.

I tend to jump into things head first, for better or worse, so I currently have three 60" cues coming: an Edwin Reyes, a Skip Weston and an Andy Gilbert. <hr /></blockquote>

Man, you really do "jump in". Is the plan to figure out which one you like best and sell/swap the others, or are these cues you planned to get anyway so you just ordered them all long?

SpiderMan

Rackin_Zack
02-24-2005, 01:30 PM
I vary the bridge length depending on the speed of the shot. I happen to have my cue here so I checked to see what the bridge length was with my hand all the way on the back of my cue and at perpendicular there is only 6-7 inches of stroking room. Granted this is fine for medium speed shots and softer, but when I have to hit medium firm or harder my hand is hanging off the back of the cue and sometimes I'm holding on to the cue at the very end of the butt plate with just my thumb and forefinger. I think with the extra 2 inches I my hand will be on the wrap about 60-70% of the time as opposed to 20-30% (really soft shots).

Rackin_Zack
02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I already had a couple of Skip Weston's and a Gilbert Jump/Break before ordering the new ones. I decided that I wanted to collect only purely custom cues for the time being, i.e. cues I had a hand in designing, so I ordered my "dream cue", that I designed a couple of years ago, from Skip, a custom jump/break from Andy and a few months ago took advantage of an offer Edwin made on a series of 12 cues he was doing over on AZB. I will keep all of these cues and probably sell my 58" cues.

Barbara
02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
SF,

Wing span is the important issue here. When bridging at a proper length, say 8", how far back is your back hand on the wrap/butt area when you're cued up to the cue ball and is your forearm perpendicular to the floor?

If it's more than 8" below the balance point of the cue towards the end of the butt, then you need a longer cue.

Barbara

JimS
02-24-2005, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> I'm 6'2" tall and I'm not sure what my wingspan is. I am, however, at the very end of my cue on most shots. On power shots, such as a break or 4 or more rail shot, my hand is nearly off the cue. I had some lessons around Thanksgiving with Mark Wilson who plays with a longer than standard cue and I hit a few balls with it and it felt really good.

I tend to jump into things head first, for better or worse, so I currently have three 60" cues coming: an Edwin Reyes, a Skip Weston and an Andy Gilbert. <hr /></blockquote>

Man, you really do "jump in". Is the plan to figure out which one you like best and sell/swap the others, or are these cues you planned to get anyway so you just ordered them all long?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Zack has a lot of nice cues for sale.

Rod
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
From my limited experience of different shaft lengths. When you go longer a bit stronger taper is needed to retain the same feel. When going short a bit weaker taper is needed. How much? Well you have to experiment a little. You'll be holding the cue in a different position as VooDoo mentioned so that is a consideration.

Rod

stickman
02-24-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm 6'6" and I love my 60" J Pechauer cue. It's not whimpy, and I can now grip on the wrap most of the time. The only con I can think of is if you have a shot on the rail and the table is too close to the wall, you might try a shorter cue. It does happen ocassionally at one place I play.

Cane
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm 6'4" with a 76" wingspan (wasn't sure, but just had the boss lady measure it). I play with a 60" 19.25 ounce cue. Until I got this one, this past summer, I had always played with a standard cue. It was not a big transition for me to go to a 60" cue. The biggest difference??? Now I can actually can feel the wrap.

IMHO, there are some people for whom longer cues are essential. Personally, I feel I'm borderline and have no trouble using either length. The next cue I get will probably be standard (mostly because I sell them when I get tired of looking at them, and it's harder to find a home for a 60" cue). I WAS just fine with a standard cue until I got the 60"er. I do still have several that I take to places that I don't want to take my "good" cue... Especially one, a standard length sneaky pete that goes to strange bars with me... I keep a roll of electrical tape in the soft vinyl Wal Mart case I carry it in and tightly tape the joint after I screw it together, claiming that it loosens up and, in my best dumb okie accent proclaim "she ain't a bad stick... found 'er in a bar in Little Rock... paid Ten Bucks for it... me and a buddy o' mine cut 'er in half an' glued a piece of allthread in it so's I could carry it around... I ain't never owned a stick that shoots as straight as this one here...", then stick a piece of chalk in the pocket of my overalls and put up my quarters. The locals will cut each others throats to get on the table with you.

In any case, I have no trouble at all transistioning from standard to overlength, back to standard.

Later,
Bob

buddha162
02-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey Zack,

My cues are 1/2 inch longer than standard, but I had them built into the butt instead of the shaft. I've tried a 29.5 inch shaft and believe it or not that 1/2 inch made it significantly whippier than standard length. Skip simply threaded on a longer buttcap for me, and that has worked out great (also, if I were to sell it and buyer wants standard length, all I need is a new buttcap).

Also surprising was the fact that the 1/2 inch increase dramatically helped my grip position, as I rarely grip past the front section of the buttsleeve (whereas I would be clinging air half the time with a 58 inch cue).

Have you tried 59 inches instead of 60? My personal opinion would be to add length to the butt section if it's under an inch, and equalize the length increase if it's two inches (1 inch longer butt, 1 inch longer shaft).

-Roger

Rackin_Zack
02-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Roger, I think I'm going to go ahead and try the 60" length since I've already ordered them and I'm sometimes nearly completely off the cue. However, thank you very much for the suggestions.

stickman
02-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I have no problem with the transition either. I shoot with a house stick sometimes. Many of them are only 57"s. I just prefer having my grip hand on the grip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buddha162
02-27-2005, 04:03 AM
Well good luck with the 60", I'm sure they'll turn out nice.

Btw, I was at Skip's shop today dropping off my design and 25%, and I saw some jaw-dropping cues being finished off. If I wore expensive jewelry/watches they would've been offered for a couple of cues, lol.

-Roger (one forearm had ivory points into ebony, and imagine Skip's veneers in FULL IVORY and bloodwood. Ivory shadow points. It was unimaginably gorgeous...*sigh*)