PDA

View Full Version : Non-Pool ---- Computer virus prevention.

Rich R.
05-31-2002, 04:41 AM
I received this from a friend. Although I am not great with computers, to me, this sounds like it will work.
Maybe some of the computer experts on the CCB can give your opinions on whether we should be doing this and if it will work. Rich R.
Subject: FW: How to get rid of a virus

Subject: COMPUTER TRICK

This was in the last issue of "P C World" magazine. It does work!
As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it heads straight for your email address book and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will
alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do:

First: Open your address book and click on "new contact" or "new person" just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.

Second: In the window where you would type your friend's FIRST name, type in: !000 (that's an exclamation mark followed by 3 zeros). In the window below where it prompts you to enter the new email address, type in: WormAlert.

Third: Then complete everything by clicking add, enter, OK, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works: the "name" !000 will be placed at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it tries to send itself to !000, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered (WormAlert). If
the first attempt fails (which it will because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected. Here's the second great advantage of this method:
If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your In Box almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to WormAlert could not be delivered, you know right
away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it. Pretty slick huh?

If everybody you know does this, then you needn't ever
worry about opening mail from friends. Pass this on to your friends.

stickman
05-31-2002, 08:00 AM
Yes, it works. This trick or variations of it has been around for quite a while. I've used it for at least a year. My first address in my book is AAAA.

cheesemouse
05-31-2002, 08:52 AM
Rich R,
cool Thanx for the heads-up. Every little bit helps /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Vapros
05-31-2002, 09:13 AM
Preventing the spread of viruses is fine, but it may be a little late for your own machine, don't you think? For less than $30 you can buy some pretty effective protection - from Norton or some other supplier. Go to zdnet.com and look around. Get Systemworks or Internet Security, and you will have virus protection and a firewall, also, to keep out the Trojan horses. Take advantage of the periodic free updates they offer online. New viruses are showing up all the time. Be prepared when they show up at your place. I'm not very computer literate, either, but I can put a CD in the Q drive and tell it to get to work. You'll be surprised at all the helpful features of such a program.

Rich R.
05-31-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks Stickman. I appreciate your input. Rich R.

Rich R.
05-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Vapros, on my machine, I have some very good Norton protection and it gets updated regularly by Norton. But, like you say, new viruses are showing up all the time. It takes Norton, or any other software company, time to create the protection for them. If it works like they say, I thought this small, no cost, easy to execute measure of prevention, may protect the machines of everyone in my address book and maybe stop it from spreading in my own machine too. If I can keep the virus from spreading until Norton sends the solution, I am ahead of the game. I will be putting this in my computer.
Rich R.

stickman
05-31-2002, 09:51 AM
You're welcome, Rich. You are right in your assessment. I have a very good anti-virus program, but if a new undefined virus manages to get past it, this free tip may prevent people in my address book from having to deal with it.

Harold Acosta
05-31-2002, 10:17 AM
Two entries should be made. The one Rich R gave and the one Stickman gave. These two phony contacts will become the first two names in your address book. If for whatever reason the first email fails which I doubt, the second will also prevent the spread.

05-31-2002, 04:40 PM
For the low-down on anything found on the net that might or might not be true, visit http://www.snopes.com.

For the review of this particular piece of advice, go to:
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/quickfix.htm