PDA

View Full Version : Great Straight Pool tapes!

dutchboy
02-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Just got my hands on some tapes from the 80's featuring all the greats, Rempe, Varner, Miz, young Oliver Ortmann,Dallas West and Mike Sigel. All are 14.1 from the 14th and 15th U.S Open. What a elegant game to watch, like a great heart surgeon these guys take a apart the stack with such assurance and confidence. Mike Sigel plays a game I didn't think existed, in two of his matches, {one against Dallas West and then again Rempe he plays what the great Grady Matthews said was the most perfect performance he'd ever seen. He shot triple ball combo's with ease, he banked, he pulled dead balls from the stack that no one else saw. Bill Statton was speechless. It's so refreshing to hear Ervolino and Grady, Bill Incardona and others swap tall tales of the old days. {Sure beats listening to Mitch. It was at this time a young Johnny Archer was just making waves. Nice to hear the old guys {and the ever modest Mike Sigel {not} weigh in on the new guard. Anyway, been up all night watching these guys and soon as I can I'm buying whatever I can get my hands on. The best teachers right there on your own set. After a nap I'm going back to watch Crane and Wimpy...

daviddjmp
02-26-2005, 02:57 PM
dutchboy-

Are these tapes available for public purchase? I would love to see some of those matches from the 1980s-

ChuckR
02-26-2005, 04:04 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. These tapes are available from AccuStats and are so much more entertaining that watching current ESPN 9 ball matches. When you throw in the commentary along with the shooting, its like taking a lesson while you are watching. What a treasure these are. ChuckR

DickLeonard
02-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I think there is a tape of Louie Butera running 150 and out in 22 minutes. I know he did it I just not sure about the tape.####

Rich R.
02-27-2005, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> I think there is a tape of Louie Butera running 150 and out in 22 minutes. I know he did it I just not sure about the tape.#### <hr /></blockquote>
I would love to get that tape, if it is available. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
02-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi dutchboy,

I agree with the enjoyment of hearing the commentary. Sure wish Grady would be doing more that way. I listened to a match lastnight where Jimmy Mataya was doing commentating. That guy sucks and I think his head couldn't find a hat that would fit him. Even my wife mentioned, no wonder Ewa devorced him. What a jerk.

I remember seeing Mike Segal run 150 and out on someone? Can't remember who it was but I watched the match. I gave back the tape quite long ago and if I find the guy who loaned it to me to see. I'll find out who he was playing. It was a treat to watch.

I enjoy Danny D. commentating. I swear him and I think the same. You'll find most of the fun commentating done on the DCC tapes. I need to get there one day. I just have to clear up a few things and practice some and I will go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

dutchboy
02-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, first I hope you CTS is improving...Sigel ran out on Mike Zuglan, Zug lost the break, looked like there was nothing there and Sigel pulls a dead ball out of the middle of the stack...after that Capt. Hook played perfect 14.1. Not once out of shape, it's like watching Buddy Rich play the drums{my mentor in the 70's} they both had absolute control. I think what makes it so cool to watch is that to them, nothing special seems to be going on. The piece of music is already composed...they just write it down for us all to hear and see.

DickLeonard
02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Chris, Mike Sigel had Mike Zuglans number. They had three games many years back. In game 1 Mike Sigel runs 150 and out. In game 2 Mike Zuglan runs 138 and loses to Mike Sigel and in the 3rd game Mike Sigel runs 150 and out. ####

yegon
02-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I have some of those videos too. That 150 against Zuglan was great, but the vide that impressed me most was Souquet vs Reyes. It just seemed like Ralf never had to shoot anything hard, he never got in trouble and his position play was just perfect to the milimeter.

Chris Cass
02-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi dutch,

Your welcome and I don't know what the CTS is. I do know what the CRS is. hahahahha That I do have. It was Mike Zuglan huh? Funny how you never remember #2.

Mike was my hero for many yrs and #1 in my personal straight pool HOF. That's the one that only really matters. Now, if I knew Dick Leonard back then? He would have put Mike in second place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a few reasons for that.

Regards,

C.C.~~Buddy Rich was my favorite drummer too. You can't get any better than that. imho

Popcorn
02-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I watched Souquet play in an 8-ball tournament in Germany before he ever came here and it was really amazing. He would break the balls and than look over the table for the longest time. Once he had in his mind what he was going to do, he ran out perfectly. He did this rack after rack, except for safties which he had planned perfectly. He is a hell of a player, better then many Americans know. I would take him over a lot of the more noted players for the cash playing any game.

Chris Cass
02-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi Dick,

I sure wish I had some matches with you shooting with the big guys like, Mos, Lou, Canton, you know, the players you had played throughout the yrs. I knew you'ld know the answer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I still have my pics of you and Mos playing exhibition match with Mike cb1950 watching. I have it framed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dmgwalsh
03-01-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote daviddjmp:</font><hr> dutchboy-

Are these tapes available for public purchase? I would love to see some of those matches from the 1980s- <hr /></blockquote>

David- I think you already have them. the 14th and 15th US Opens were held in 1989 and 1992, I think.

Dennis

roscoe
03-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Many good tapes are available through

http://www.accu-stats.com/

Roscoe

daviddjmp
03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey, Dennis-

You're right, I realized it after the thread took shape. It was thinking that there was another batch from the 1980's that threw me off.