PDA

View Full Version : How To Protest A Forfeit? - APA

Barbara
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Last Thursday we had a snowstorm that started around 1 pm and kept going until 10 that night. My APA team plays Thursday nights and we figured there was no way the league was going to have matches that night, so we decided to stay home. My captain even called up the VFW where we shoot and was told that if the bartender doesn't show up, they're closed.

Well, the next day we found out that we were wrong and were told the other team showed up and we had to forfeit.

I am so livid about this! There was a travel advisory issued as the roads iced up during the night. We are going to take this to the LO, too.

Has anyone out there successfully fought a forfeit in the APA?

Barbara

GeraldG
02-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I would think that in this case (it sounds like there were extenuating circumstances), the LO should contact the Captain of the other team and ask him to agree to a make-up match. We've had a couple of similar situations and that's what our LO does. You then have 2 weeks to schedule and play a make-up match.

dvsmnstr
02-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I agree you should be able to rematc.., hopefully it stinks to lose that way. maybe call the league op next time and let him know you can't make it and have him contact the other team. good luck on getting them overturned!

Barbara
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> I agree you should be able to rematc.., hopefully it stinks to lose that way. maybe call the league op next time and let him know you can't make it and have him contact the other team. good luck on getting them overturned! <hr /></blockquote>

My captain's checking into this. If we can't reschedule I'm going to write a letter to the LO. I just barely got home at 5 pm due to the road conditions and there was no way I was going back out again 2 hours later, even in my hubby's 4WD truck.

Barbara

Rich R.
02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Barbara, from my experience, it is all up to the league operator.
Recently, during bad weather, our league operator anounced, ahead of time, that there would be no forfeits. Those that showed up played matches, if they could. All teams in the league had 2 weeks to make up the unplayed matches.

Whatever your league operator decides, the winning or losing of your match is not worth risking your safety.

Barbara
02-28-2005, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
Whatever your league operator decides, the winning or losing of your match is not worth risking your safety. <hr /></blockquote>

That's what I say, Rich!

Apparently our team is hovering in the top 3 places somewhere and my presence in this session has caused a little stir amongst the other teams. I started off as a 2 but the following week got jumped to a 3. I won 18-2 over a 4, so the week after that I was jumped to a 5. I lost badly to another 5 who played very well and kicked and made something at everything I could throw at him. Last week I heard I got knocked back to a 4.

The team we were supposed to play last week may not be so eager to reschedule, but if the LO says they must, then I guess they must. We'll see.

Barbara

Rich R.
02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>The team we were supposed to play last week may not be so eager to reschedule, but if the LO says they must, then I guess they must. We'll see. <hr /></blockquote>
I hope the LO sees the light and lets you reschedule. If I were him/her, I wouldn't want to be responsible for people getting hurt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WaltVA
02-28-2005, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>...If I were him/her, I wouldn't want to be responsible for people getting hurt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Our LO has a standing agreement to allow reschedules any time there's a valid reason. All that's required is a phone call to the LO so the other team can be notified; then the captains have 2 weeks to play the make-up match.

Some teams get an attitude if there was no call and they showed up; they feel entitled to the points. I know our team would rather play later than collect forfeit points, and hopefully your opponents will feel the same way.

Good luck on getting the rematch set up. Maybe your LO could put out a policy with instructions on rescheduling due to weather; as Rich R. said, nobody wants to be responsible for an accident or injuries.

Walt in VA

Barbara
02-28-2005, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>
Some teams get an attitude if there was no call and they showed up; they feel entitled to the points. I know our team would rather play later than collect forfeit points, and hopefully your opponents will feel the same way.

Good luck on getting the rematch set up. Maybe your LO could put out a policy with instructions on rescheduling due to weather; as Rich R. said, nobody wants to be responsible for an accident or injuries.

Walt in VA

<hr /></blockquote>

Well the one big problem was that our team captain didn't have a phone number to call the other team and she still doesn't know who their captain is.

She put in a call to LO this morning and they're looking for a phone number for her to call.

You would think this info would be on the schedules, huh?

Barbara

jjinfla
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Barbara,

Since no one from your team showed up to play and your captain didn't call the LO then I think you guys are SOL. Forget the forfeit and look forward to this week.

Sounds like your Captain messed up.

And to add insult to injury your team is still responsible for the $35 weekly fee.

Don't be mad. I am sure your Captain is aware of this.

Jake

Barbara
02-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Jake,

That's exactly what happened.

But why didn't the league supply phone numbers of the captains? That's certainly not our fault.

Barbara

jjinfla
02-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I am the captain of our team.

I do not have phone numbers of other captains. Captains might change from week to week. My co-captain has been running the team the past 4 weeks. In fact I do not have a roster of the other teams in our division except for the records that I maintain.

But I know that if a problem comes up I have the office number and the cell number of our two LO's (husband &amp; wife). In fact I have called them in the middle of a match once. A long time ago. In your situation I would have called them and if need be they would have given me the contact person on the other team.

In fact during hurrican season I did call the LO and found out one week was cancelled. That really hurt them to do that. Especially in the pocketbook.

Your complaint should be directed to your Captain. He screwed up.

Jake

TCIndepMo
02-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Many APA league operators have something in their area Local Bylaws covering how default situations are to be handled. In my area it reads "Either captain may request a postponement in th event of unusual circumstances. If the LO agrees, the captains are to reschedule the match for play as soon as possible. If the teams cannot agree on a date the LO must be informed, a make up date will be set (usually the next Fri) and both captains advised or the LO may aware the points as deemed appropriate." Our most common situation is the sudden snow storm with little warning. But each captain is still responsbile for a little "give and take" on scheduling the make up.

Barbara
02-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Thank you for your response. I will bring this up along with "what does the LO recommend?" to my captain.

Barbara