PDA

View Full Version : Olhausen Eclipse (2?) vs. Connelly Prescott

pass
02-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi all, i'm helping a friend buy a pool table and he has narrowed it down to these two tables. I've looked through the forums here and over at AZ and gotten some helpful info, but I still have a few questions.

with the cost being roughly the same, which do you think would be the better choice?

i've read about connelly's spitting balls out, is that still a problem and is that a problem with the prescott?

does anybody know if the cloth upgrades they offer are to Simonis? the connelly dealer apparently said they don't even have a cloth upgrade available, that seems kind of odd to me. any comments on this?

I haven't really come across any posts that say there is anything wrong with the Olhausens. i'm kind of leaning toward that one. is there anything i'm missing?

any other opinions or suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

DavidMorris
02-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Personally I'm not familiar with either model, but I would tend to rate the Olhausen brand over Connelly given comparable tables, although I have known of some nice older Connelly tables. I don't know much at all about their current lineup.

As far as cloth upgrades, that's usually a dealer option as far as I know. When a dealer sells you a table it usually includes "house" cloth, then they charge extra if you want Simonis or some other cloth. At least that's how my Brunswick dealer does it.

thepoolnerd
02-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I have seen the Connely Table barf out balls at a pro event and I would never buy a table that has that reputation. One of my pockets has that problem and I'd rather play on an unlevel table or one with dead rails. It happens because there is a bump in the back of the pocket below slate level and if the ball goes in dead center at medium speed to where it drops just a bit before it hits the back of the pocket it bounces off of the back of the pocket back on the slate without even touching either rail. If he's buying Connely he'd better test all 6 pockets or get some kind of guarantee on them. I had a nice straight pool run (and a new predator shaft) ruined because of this. It's probably happened to me 200 times on one of my pockets and 50 on another. I just feel that no manufacturer that knows anything about the game would let something like this out on the market. The worst part is it only happens if you make the ball dead center.

ryushen21
02-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I've played on tables from both brands. Not the specific models you listed but the brands nonetheless. I would have to say that my preference goes to the Olhausen. They play just great and I have never had one barf a ball out on me. Someday i'll have an Olhausen in my home.

drawshot
02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
My brother has the Connelly Prescott, very decent table. It has never spit out any balls. The rails are fast. In fact he is using Tournament 30/30 cloth and the table plays really nicely.
I have seen Olhausens spit out balls... the Olhausen corner pockets are slightly tighter. I think they are actually cut at a slightly different angle that makes them tighter.

Both are good choices. They have similar styles. The Connelly should be a little cheaper... good luck with either but make sure you get a good installer!

thepoolnerd
02-28-2005, 07:06 PM
by spitting out balls, I mean that you can shoot the cueball about lagging speed down into the center of the pocket and it will pop right out. The prescott may not do this, just beware. Look for the lump in the back of the pocket. Good luck.

FastJoey
03-01-2005, 12:12 AM
i purchased a new Olhausen Augusta 2 months ago.it has the pockets...it is a great table and i had optional 860 installed..u will like the accu-fast cushions..and no problems with balls dropping out...

pass
03-01-2005, 07:51 AM
OK thanks everyone for the help. I will pass the info along. It sounds like most people in this thread and everywhere else i've looked prefer Olhausens for one reason or another. I think the Olhausen was slightly more expensive, but not so much as to be a deciding factor.

Thanks again! I'll post the final decision if anybody is interested.

PQQLK9
03-01-2005, 07:56 AM
FWIW I have an Olhausen also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif