PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever play the ghost for $$$$$

Kato
05-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Not as proposition bets against other people but against yourself? I can't beat the ghost, not yet at least so I decided to start playing him for 1 dollar per game. I had 6 bucks in my pocket and it took him almost 2 hours to take it. Anybody else out there as strange as me or is perceived as good practice?

Kato

MikeM
05-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Kato,

It would be much more effective if you let me hold the ghost's cash. I can send you my address if you wish.

MM...just trying to help

SPetty
05-31-2002, 02:33 PM
This is an interesting idea. I think I'll take one of those big plastic pretzel barrels and cut a slot in the top. When I lose this proposition (no "if" about it), I can put the money in the barrel. When the barrel gets full, I can buy another cue!

SPetty~~~Might take awhile, but good things are sometimes worth waiting for.

Troy
05-31-2002, 02:37 PM
First, were you charged the 2-player rate for table-time ???
Second, did the winner pay the time ???

Troy...~~~ Just curious

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Not as proposition bets against other people but against yourself? I can't beat the ghost, not yet at least so I decided to start playing him for 1 dollar per game. I had 6 bucks in my pocket and it took him almost 2 hours to take it. Anybody else out there as strange as me or is perceived as good practice?

Kato <hr></blockquote>

Barbara
05-31-2002, 03:13 PM
You know SPetty, I bought my custom cue using a method similar to that. When I won money in a tourny (cause I don't gamble, except with Rick), it went into a special envelope. As soon as I got so much, I went to see my Cue Man and ordered a cue.

Barbara~~~still has 6 "Ricky dollars".....

05-31-2002, 07:07 PM
Gee Barbara, is that anything like "monopoly money"? What exactly do Ricky dollars buy? /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Barbara
05-31-2002, 07:20 PM
His absolute ego. Anytime.

Barbara

Kato
06-03-2002, 01:50 PM
I have a 5 ft tall Crayola Crayon. It is currently 3/4 full. Sometime in early September I'm going to empty it and go to the U.S. Open. The more I lose to the ghost the better time I'll have. I don't want to lose to the ghost but I figure what the heck.

Table time? I have my own, nobody pays table time and beer is cheap. When I go to the pool room I go to play somebody, not to play alone as this bores me for some reason.

Kato

06-03-2002, 01:54 PM
What is the ghost?

Jay M
06-03-2002, 02:02 PM
rules for the ghost vary from player to player, but the general idea is that the ghost doesn't miss. It's a game against yourself, solitaire pool if you will.

Break the rack. take ball in hand. run the rack. if you miss, you lose, if you run you win.

Jay M

Kato
06-03-2002, 02:11 PM
The ghost is one heck of a player. He is also merciless, taking advantage of me at every opportunity.

Kato~~~currently down 8 bucks to the ghost.

bigalerickson
06-03-2002, 02:57 PM
I am now starting my ghost game for money. Here are my rules.

1. If I win, well I guy can dream right, the money goes into envelope #1. If I lose, it goes into envelope #2.

#1 goes to buy a custom cue
#2 goes to pool lessons, and further "billiards education" (which has yet to be specifically defined)

The game is nineball. I get the 6, and the break.

solitaire gambling. wow. maybe i am an addict.

-Big Al

Jay M
06-03-2002, 03:35 PM
6 and the break is some pretty hefty weight... especially with ball in hand after the break. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you get the cue first.

Jay M

Rod
06-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Kato, Ive done it two ways. One as a proposition bet, and the other as me against the table. I quit playing in 1975 and didn't returned to the game until 1992. I quit in my prime. I'm saying this because before I quit I had never heard of the term playing the ghost. My ghost at the time, if you will, was my inner self. I played 14-1 for a specific run number in practice. My standard practice was run 50 as a warm up routine. If I put myself in a game situation I allowed myself one miss in a game to 125 or two innings. My ghost wasn't perfect but then there are few perfect games in 14-1.
Somewhere in the 90's I heard the term playing the ghost. Which Is what I really did except it was always about me, and that inner focus and concentration to always satisfy how well I expected to play. I knew if I played the current 14-1 champions at the time more than one miss would likely put you on the next train out of town, so to speak.
Thats my ghost story and I'm sticking to it, lol, sorry I know thats not what you asked.

No I don't think your strange, although there have been rumors, /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Really It's a good idea, any idea that makes one strive for perfection or some where above their perceived ability is a good idea. People may set themselves up for disappointments if the goal is set to high. For instance if someone is playing their ghost, BTW we all have our ghost. The game is 9 ball with BIH after the break. This person run a rack sometime last year after hitting the lotto for $1000. I think this person should be realistic and play with fewer balls, say six ball. If someone does not think this is a good idea please explain why. If the thought of, well it only costs me a buck if I miss, then the value of a dollar has little meaning, or they may not have the inner commitment. Make it $5 or $10 but remember you can't touch this money untill a specific time period, say six months or what ever number you choose.
The people that have set unrealistic goals will change to something that is possible for them to acheive, or may shy away from that type of practice. Anyway I'm just putting a dollar amount on defining goals to make a point.
I know you didn't mention goals as a specific topic, but wanted to know about good practice.
You'll have a lot more fun at the open if you raise the bet with your ghost! lol /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Good luck and sorry for the rambling.

bigalerickson
06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
oh, i forgot, the idea is once I win consistently at that level, I move to the 7, then the 8.

Kato
06-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Don't worry about me having enough money to go to the Open. I can lose plenty of money to the ghost before that. Reason I'm putting the amount at $1 is pocket change. If I have 9 one dollar bills in my pocket I get to play until it's gone. If I only have 2, well that's ok to. I've not been playing much so I haven't gambled him but twice. I'll probably gamble him a bunch this weekend though. I just don't want to gamble high against a player that's better than me.LOL

Kato~~~ghost warrior

cheesemouse
06-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Kato,
The 'ghost' is my pool idol. If you want to increase your weight against this devil of a player trying giving yourself one safety shot where he only has to get a hit to win. This adds that dimension to the practice. The ghost can play. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SPetty
06-04-2002, 09:26 AM
The ghost I play can't kick any better than I do, and neither one of us can jump. I also will play a safety against my ghost. Then I'll play out of the safety, shooting for the ghost. Then I get to keep shooting if (me shooting for) the ghost didn't legally pocket a ball while getting out of the safety. If (me shooting for) the ghost missed entirely, I get ball in hand. If he made a legal shot, I get what's left... I like that because it gives me a chance to play safeties and to practice kicking out of safeties rather than to just focus 100% on offense.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> rules for the ghost vary from player to player, but the general idea is that the ghost doesn't miss. It's a game against yourself, solitaire pool if you will.

Break the rack. take ball in hand. run the rack. if you miss, you lose, if you run you win.

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

Kato
06-04-2002, 09:29 AM
My ghost plays better than Efren.

Kato